DNF's

The HERB5

No, I let them stand. They are part of the history of the cache. Reading past DNFs can be even more helpful than reading found logs... things you tried and failed can be more informative to subsequent cachers than "found cache easily, TNLN". I always try to write reasonable logs, whether I found the cache or not.

GSAK lists the past logs, including the DNFs, so you know that if 50% of the past attempts resulted in DNFs, you know that the cache you are looking for can be a tricky so and so.

From a cache owners point of view, DNFs alert you to possible problems, but also provide valuable feedback about your cache. A DNF here and there lets you know that it's hidden well enough that not everybody can easily find it at midnight on a foggy night whilst blindfolded!

We always log DNF's, especially if we are at all sure that the cache might not be there as it's a good hint to the cache setter that something may be amiss.

I do tend to keep the DNF logs when we do eventually return and find the cache as I like having them on my profile and reading them from time to time as they can be quite funny.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

does anybody delete theres once they've returned and found the cache ?

Why would anyone do that?

I use my DNF list as ones to be revisited.

The problem now is that I've found most of them and I can't see the outstanding ones. :mad:

Maybe the screen could indicate when/if you found the cache at a later date. :D

I use my DNF list as ones to be revisited.

The problem now is that I've found most of them and I can't see the outstanding ones. :mad:

Maybe the screen could indicate when/if you found the cache at a later date. :D

Set up a bookmark list called "Nebias' Outstanding DNFs" and depending on whether you want others to see it or not you can make it public or keep it private.

B.

I definitely keep mine. It's the only way I'll know when I've hit a hundred so I can get a congratulations thread!

How many to go now then?

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm on 68. Maybe I should change my two logs on your Don't Nick the Swans cache to DNF's, Matt. As you know they're currently notes that I'm too b****y weak to open the cache. Then I'll be up to 70. :D

I definitely keep mine. It's the only way I'll know when I've hit a hundred so I can get a congratulations thread!

How many to go now then?

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm on 68. Maybe I should change my two logs on your Don't Nick the Swans cache to DNF's, Matt. As you know they're currently notes that I'm too b****y weak to open the cache. Then I'll be up to 70. :D

Oooh! Thanks for the reminder... I visited week last sunday and replaced the first part. Even you could open it now... :D

I'm on 68

I think Pieman has unfairly refused to acknowledge the help I have given him in claiming his 68 DNF's. If it wasn't for me he would have found a few more thereby knocking down his impressive total. I'm only on 42 DNF's but I'm determined to catch him up.

A forlorn hope- I'm going back for 2 caches I already have DNF's for tomorrow!

Thankfully, I've only ever had 5 DNFs (of 60 finds). 4 of which I later found (1 of those 4 missing at the time) and the 5th quite badly muggled (the whole hiding place went walkabout).

I'm also going to say that I was out of time on another, and it was getting dark (plus had wrong coords at the time). Which leaves 2 'proper' DNFs, which I blame to being totally unthorough with my searches.

Too much detail!?

Oh, and I do leave the logs on there, although for some of the caches that are MIA, I just edited the existing log (rather than putting multiple DNFs) and emailed the owner to check.

Edited by Edgemaster

Paul I look forward to assisting you not find your 100th cache (sometime around Christmas I reckon :bad: ) and I have every confidence that you will not find at least one of those caches today.

Perhaps we should go for a 24 hour DNF record. :bad:

Worth a shot - although I bet I can beat you by sitting at home for 24 hours :P

Paul I look forward to assisting you not find your 100th cache (sometime around Christmas I reckon :D ) and I have every confidence that you will not find at least one of those caches today.

Perhaps we should go for a 24 hour DNF record. :D

You got it. It's now 69.

Paul I look forward to assisting you not find your 100th cache (sometime around Christmas I reckon :D ) and I have every confidence that you will not find at least one of those caches today.

Perhaps we should go for a 24 hour DNF record. :D

You got it. It's now 69.

Presumably the keen DNFeur would go for "The 24" around December 21st when there isn't too much daylight to hamper the attempt :D

Can't see any rules against GSAKapokery, you'd be bound to bump your rate up if you filtered for caches with, say, at least 2 DNFs in the last 4 logs :D

- looks like about 30 within 20 miles of "That's Magic"

Maybe one of the stats hounds will identify the Oxford of the DNF world for you :D

If I go back and find a cache where I had a DNF, I edit the DNF log to change it to a note (and leave a mention of what I've done in the log). This is mainly because my DNF list is also my "to-do" list. This could also be a bookmark list, but I started doing this before bookmarks were available, so I can't be bothered to change. :D

We have plenty of DNFs and once we've logged a DNF, that particular time stays a DNF. If we find it later, then the previous log remains.

Of all our caches and/or those on our watchlist, I've only ever noticed two people delete or amend their DNFs. One was someone who simply didn't look at the instructions and the other appears to be a cacher who goes for the high score and deletes DNFs as they go.

Really, it's up to you how you play.

If I go back and find a cache where I had a DNF, I edit the DNF log to change it to a note (and leave a mention of what I've done in the log). This is mainly because my DNF list is also my "to-do" list. This could also be a bookmark list, but I started doing this before bookmarks were available, so I can't be bothered to change. :lol:

I knew there'd be a way. :D

PS I'll be in France tonight (Calais), the Pyrennees tomorrow night for 2 weeks.

Paul I look forward to assisting you not find your 100th cache (sometime around Christmas I reckon :) ) and I have every confidence that you will not find at least one of those caches today.

Perhaps we should go for a 24 hour DNF record. :)

You got it. It's now 69.

Presumably the keen DNFeur would go for "The 24" around December 21st when there isn't too much daylight to hamper the attempt :D

Can't see any rules against GSAKapokery, you'd be bound to bump your rate up if you filtered for caches with, say, at least 2 DNFs in the last 4 logs :D

Maybe one of the stats hounds will identify the Oxford of the DNF world for you :D

I'd heartily commend that you fully embrace technology if you're going for "The 24"

We successfully bagged 2 DNFs from Enigma today with a combination of out of date GSAK and Cachemate info and a particularly cunning navigate to the additional waypoint ploy. There was no sign of the cache there despite extensive searching in the rain. Next time we'll try the cache co-ordinates instead :D:)

Technology is your friend :):D

I'd heartily commend that you fully embrace technology if you're going for "The 24"

We successfully bagged 2 DNFs from Enigma today with a combination of out of date GSAK and Cachemate info and a particularly cunning navigate to the additional waypoint ploy. There was no sign of the cache there despite extensive searching in the rain. Next time we'll try the cache co-ordinates instead

Technology is your friend

The trick of "searching for the cache using the parking co-ords" is one of my favourite methods for getting a DNF. I've spent many a happy hour searching around the edge of a car-park for a non-existent cache. However my favourite method is still the simple adding up method. If going for "the 24" I would try and select a few simple multis involving adding digits together. I'd then get Pieman to help look for it. This is a tried and trusted method. :rolleyes:

Paul I look forward to assisting you not find your 100th cache (sometime around Christmas I reckon :) ) and I have every confidence that you will not find at least one of those caches today.

Perhaps we should go for a 24 hour DNF record. :)

You got it. It's now 69.

Presumably the keen DNFeur would go for "The 24" around December 21st when there isn't too much daylight to hamper the attempt :rolleyes:

We successfully bagged 2 DNFs from Enigma today with a combination of out of date GSAK and Cachemate info and a particularly cunning navigate to the additional waypoint ploy. There was no sign of the cache there despite extensive searching in the rain. Next time we'll try the cache co-ordinates instead :):D

Technology is your friend ;):D

Ooooh, Chas...

If you're going for the adding up stages of a Multi - then I'm your girl.....

When I did the maths for the Golf Series I managed to get coordinates that were some 0.37 from where the cache was....

Mush to Chris's annoyance, as by now it was dark and rainy!!!

:D