Discovering a Geocoin/TB

The Hornet

Now there's a new way to "log" Geocoins & TB's I wondered how people felt the "Discovered" option should be used.

My understanding is that it should be used for occasions when you have actually seen the item, and possibly handled it, but not actually moved it on from one cache to another. A typical situation would be at an Event. However I've now had a situation where a "close friend" has had one of his Geocoins "Discovered" by someone who has never come within several thousand miles of it. It was done with the help of a well respected Geocacher so there's no question of any "cheating" but I still have a nagging feeling that this is not what the Discovered option was designed for.

What are your views? Thanks.

That was my understanding, 'discovered' is a way of gaining the icon for having seen a TB/coin at an event / in a cache without moving it. This was, all the watchers only get 1 email saying 'so and so discovered TB' rather than 2 saying 'so and so retrieved TB' and 'so and so dropped TB'.

I don't think it was intended for people to be able to log items without ever having seen them, but if the coin owner lets people do that, then that's their prerogative.

If it's your coin, and you're not happy with them logging it, delete the log (but I don't need to tell you that, do I?)

.....My understanding is that it should be used for occasions when you have actually seen the item, and possibly handled it, but not actually moved it on from one cache to another..........

That's how I've used the "Discovered" option for a couple of TB's and Geocoins. If I move them I'll used the "retrieved" option, If I've handled it or seen it in the flesh I'll use the "discovered" option, If I haven't seen it with my own two eyes then I won't log it :mad:

......However I've now had a situation where a "close friend" has had one of his Geocoins "Discovered" by someone who has never come within several thousand miles of it.........

I don't think that the "discovered" option was designed for doing this. It's not in the spirit of the game for people to pass along TB or coin codes for others to use just to get an icon (if that is what has happened?).

Edited by Nediam

I believe the discovered option for TB's was added to keep the icon Ho's happy by allowing them to get the icon without having to actually move the bug from cache to cache, and to stop TB owners moaning about their bugs having so many logs made on it at events when it never actually gains mileage.

Discovered should be used when you see a TB but do not move it to another cache, either at an event or in a cache, or even if the owner/holder physically shows it to you.

TB's are about moving and gaining mileage, icons are to show which coins you've physically seen.

Now there's a new way to "log" Geocoins & TB's I wondered how people felt the "Discovered" option should be used.

My understanding is that it should be used for occasions when you have actually seen the item, and possibly handled it, but not actually moved it on from one cache to another. A typical situation would be at an Event. However I've now had a situation where a "close friend" has had one of his Geocoins "Discovered" by someone who has never come within several thousand miles of it. It was done with the help of a well respected Geocacher so there's no question of any "cheating" but I still have a nagging feeling that this is not what the Discovered option was designed for.

What are your views? Thanks.

If the person has never seen it how can he have "Discovered" it????????????? Do not agree with this occurence you have described but then everyone plays the game differently.

Its a good option for events or if two+ cachers find the coin together, one can retrieve it and the other/s discover it.

I agree with what the others have said. As well as not being in the spirit of the thing, or possibly the rules, see Jeremy's previous comments on virtual TBs, I also think it's highly impolite to pass around the codes of other people's coins/TBs. I know that TPTB have the right to lock down a coin/TB that they think is being logged in this way, which can be evident by the locations of the cachers who 'discovered' it. I would be unimpressed if that happened to one of mine due to the actions of some other cacher.

If I was The Hornet I would delete the log and send a polite explanatory note, before Lactodorum gets wind of this and locks the geocoin!!

I now 'discover' all TB's and coins I come across, whether I remove them from a cache or not. But what I have found as an irritating trend is that one person takes a coin from a cache and by the time it makes it to it's next location it's been 'discovered' by ten of his friends - I suppose they got to see it and so want the icon, but it's not the same as actually traipsing through wet brambles to find the box is it.

I try not to let such things bother me, because it is a game, and I'm still trying to get my kitten icon :mad:

I now 'discover' all TB's and coins I come across, whether I remove them from a cache or not.

How do you manage to electronically move the actual TB if you discover it and take it with you? Do you do another log or is it still logged into the cache you removed it from?

Ok point taken :bad: Obviously if I take a TB then I log it as taken, but if I leave it, I record the number and discover it....

Do bear in mind that it is very easy to discover the wrong coin?

How so? I hear you cry.

I jotted down a few numbers at the weekend, and evidently made a typo, and only noticed when I spotted a coin I was about to log was in the U.S.

Good point, I usually take a picture with the camera in macro mode, cuts down the chances of error, keeps me paperless and gives me a visual record of the TB / coin :bad:

Do bear in mind that it is very easy to discover the wrong coin?

How so? I hear you cry.

I jotted down a few numbers at the weekend, and evidently made a typo, and only noticed when I spotted a coin I was about to log was in the U.S.

That could be a sub-game. See how many coins you can "discover" by typing random letters and numbers. :bad:

Not that hard if you consider that the first two letters would be easy to guess. :P

and just in case anyone missed it :bad:

Edited by stora

I now 'discover' all TB's and coins I come across, whether I remove them from a cache or not. But what I have found as an irritating trend is that one person takes a coin from a cache and by the time it makes it to it's next location it's been 'discovered' by ten of his friends - I suppose they got to see it and so want the icon, but it's not the same as actually traipsing through wet brambles to find the box is it.

I try not to let such things bother me, because it is a game, and I'm still trying to get my kitten icon :D

If all of those 10 friends have seen it, then I don't think it's a problem. Jack Aubrey and I usually go caching together, but occasionally one of us might pick up a geocoin when out on our own. We show them to each other and discover the coins that the other one has retrieved. This seems legitimate to me, but others might disagree. :D