Multi-cache

bigjake9

New to geocaching. I've noticed some cachers don't log multiply times for mult-caches. How does one go about this. I just completed my first multi-cache logged the first part, but haven't logged the second part becuase I've seen that people don't seem to do this. The info for the cache says that you are able to log both parts. What should I do... log both parts or just one log for the whole multi-cache? Please let me know and thanks for your time. bigjake9

Welcome aboard. You will have lots of fun finding new places. Multis are logged once, as one find. Most people include in their "found it" log telling their experiences at each stage.

Actually, I looked at the OP's profile (only 9 finds), and found the cache in question. It does in fact say in the cache description "You can log and get credit for finding each stage." The smiley count must be very important to people in that particuliar area of Wisconsin :D I'll just say that normally standard practice is to log one find for one multicache, no matter how many legs. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Actually, I looked at the OP's profile (only 9 finds), and found the cache in question. It does in fact say in the cache description "You can log and get credit for finding each stage." The smiley count must be very important to people in that particuliar area of Wisconsin :D I'll just say that normally standard practice is to log one find for one multicache, no matter how many legs. :D

Interesting. I've never heard of that before, but I have heard of being required to write in the log book at more than one stage of a long, hard multi to make sure you don't skip stages and are given the coordinates to only the final.

Interesting. I've never heard of that before, but I have heard of being required to write in the log book at more than one stage of a long, hard multi to make sure you don't skip stages and are given the coordinates to only the final.

Smiley hounds :D There's no way in heck that cache was reviewed and approved with "log a smiley for finding each stage". It was most surely snuck into the cache description by the cache owner after the fact. There are only two legs here, by the way.

Some people put log books in each stage of a multi just for reference purposes. Going along with this thread I will restate that I do not believe in multiple smilies for one unique waypoint code. The only way I will log a smiley for each stage is if each stage was a traditional cache with partial coords in the back of the log book to make up the final stage of a multicache.

Smiley hounds :D There's no way in heck that cache was reviewed and approved with "log a smiley for finding each stage". It was most surely snuck into the cache description by the cache owner after the fact. There are only two legs here, by the way.

As far as I know there is no rule on geocaching.com that says a cache owner can't allow a found it log for each stage of a multi if they want to. The predominate opion of cachers in these forums is to log each cache one time, but I don't find any gecoaching.com policy stated one way or the other. Puritans sometimes think that because they are right, it must be a rule. :lol:

Some people put log books in each stage of a multi just for reference purposes. Going along with this thread I will restate that I do not believe in multiple smilies for one unique waypoint code. The only way I will log a smiley for each stage is if each stage was a traditional cache with partial coords in the back of the log book to make up the final stage of a multicache.

I think we're sort of walking the line of getting this booted out of the "getting started" forum :lol: But I didn't even notice the thread you referenced. I'm about as Puritan as they come, and have never had a problem finding someone else's or "allowing" finds on my moved caches (providing it's not like 5 feet or something :D). No arguement there. And the second thing you describe sounds to me like a "series" which are very popular in my area, with the final stage being listed as an Unknown/Mystery type of cache. At least thats the way they get listed and approved in my experience, and I'd tend to agree with it.

Smiley hounds :lol: There's no way in heck that cache was reviewed and approved with "log a smiley for finding each stage". It was most surely snuck into the cache description by the cache owner after the fact. There are only two legs here, by the way.

As far as I know there is no rule on geocaching.com that says a cache owner can't allow a found it log for each stage of a multi if they want to. The predominate opion of cachers in these forums is to log each cache one time, but I don't find any gecoaching.com policy stated one way or the other. Puritans sometimes think that because they are right, it must be a rule. :P

And number ho's sometimes think, "If there's any way I can work around the system, and artifically increase my find count and think I'm impressing people, I'll take it".

Really, I don't think this is very common. It's the first I ever heard of it, although it it doesn't surpise me in the least bit. I also clicked the "nearest caches of this type" (i.e. multi-caches) link on the page, quickly checked about 15 listings, and the multi the OP is referencing is the only one soliciting multiple find logs.

In before the lock (or move) :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel