Tiger Mountain Caves, help with the hike!

KirklandExplorers

We are taking our scouts on a hike on Sunday and one Dad mentioned the caves on Tiger Mountain was an idea. He didn't know anything else about them so I am asking for any help on the the trails etc and how to find them.

Thanks

Randy

PS Or, if you can suggest another hike on the Eastside that takes about 3 hours maximum RT and not past North Bend that would be great too. We hiked Rattlesnake MT last time.

Ditto what EraSeek said. If you want a cave-like hike you could do the mine in cougar mountain park. There are several caches in the park and some interesting Nike missle history

What mine are you thinking of? None of the mines are open for you to enter AFAIK. But the park does have enough options to fit any group. Thru hikes, loop hikes, all up hill, all down hill - take your pick.

There is an on-going coal seam fire, on cool mornings you can see indictions of it around some of the sinkholes. There is no danger as long as you stay on the trails.

Ditto what EraSeek said. If you want a cave-like hike you could do the mine in cougar mountain park. There are several caches in the park and some interesting Nike missle history

That sounds like an interesting place to place a history type cache. I had wondered about that when I had been looking at a map of the area that refered to the Nike missle site and Anti Aircraft Peak, but when I looked for caches related to these areas, none were listed.

Edited by Dwoodford

That sounds like an interesting place to place a history type cache. I had wondered about that when I had been looking at a map of the area that refered to the Nike missle site and Anti Aircraft Peak, but when I looked for caches related to these areas, none were listed.

Yep, I'm working on some.....went up there this weekend to scout a few things.

you are probably thinking of the Talus Caves on the north side of Tiger. Hike up the W Tiger 3 trail from the High Point parking area about half way up. A trail junction heading west will take you right there. 1.5 to 2 miles total. Or for a steeper hike, go up past "Parallel Sticks" and the Girl Scout Cache. Have fun!

Edited by Kiersolvd

What mine are you thinking of? None of the mines are open for you to enter AFAIK. But the park does have enough options to fit any group. Thru hikes, loop hikes, all up hill, all down hill - take your pick.

There is an on-going coal seam fire, on cool mornings you can see indictions of it around some of the sinkholes. There is no danger as long as you stay on the trails.

I was talking about the large grated mine entrance off the end of Clay pit road.

I would never suggest that anyone ever enter mine, nor even a cave without proper traing and equipment!

The only cave/mine entrance that i know about on Tiger is the one near Caroline's Journey. The entrance is gated to prevent entry but if you want to wade to the gate I'm sure that you could look in. Another cool destination on Tiger is Tiger Mountain's Logging Legacy, while it's not a cave ther are still several artifacts from the train crash still there.

My dad and I did that one and it's an interesting location. We parked at the Tiger Summit parking and walked in. I think it was 5 miles round trip. There might be a closer trailhead off of the Issaquah-Hobart road. I am not sure, as I am not an expert on Tiger Mountain.

Kiersolvs directions are good to get to talus caves. Most of them are blocked off due to bat habitat reasons. IF you head south of the blocked off area there is one cave area that isn't vlocked off and is RELATIVLY easy to enter. There is a large stencled sign inside talking about the local spelunking group. There are even a few other enterences but most of them are vertical and hard to enter/exit.

Also a previous poster was right. The caves were formed by breakdown resting against the side of the mountain. That is what Talus is, loose rock that has slid down the slope. It is a fun area but be very carefull.