Category Proposal - Interesting Intersections

I would like to start a new category for intersections where the names of the streets meeting make an interesting statement. These could be a famous name (I was inspired by the corner of Sherlock Rd. and Holmes Rd. in my town), two items that are often paired (Strawberry Rd. and Shortcake Ln.), a juxtoposition (Front St. and Back Rd.) or a surprising statement (I know I've seen one, but can't think of one now.)

I have created a group and I am currently looking for members that would like to take an active role defining variables and logging requirements. The group currently has open enrollment, but if you would like an e-mail invitation, just let me know. Please post any questions you have and I will try to visit the forum regularly to answer them. If you are ready to help out, please join the Interesting Intersections group.

Edited by TubaTwo

I would like to start a new category for intersections where the names of the streets meeting make an interesting statement.

The main problem with this is that "interesting" is entirely subjective. This is a recurring theme in category proposals. How about "interesting post offices?" A somewhat less subjective term that defines a few categories is "unique," such as the "Unique Weathervanes" category. Technically, unique means one of a kind -- something hard to verify. Another subjective category comes to mind -- "Oddball Museums." Some waymarks have been submitted, but the reviewer didn't consider it odd enough for inclusion.

So, "interesting statement" will need some more objective definition. I've got a picture of the intersections of Holly and Wilson street near our house -- interesting for me since my daughter's name is Holly Wilson, but probably not interesting enough to be included as a waymark.

You might add some objectivity, working from your examples, by defining several categories such as famous names, humorous, opposites, puns, etc. What else would you consider making and "interesting statement?"

I think the George Harrison crossroad would be great. For this category, it will be the variables that make or break it. I agree that we need one for Famous Names, Opposites, and Pairs. I would like to come up with more, but I don't know how to put them in words. That's why I'm looking for potential officers that would like to take a part in defining the category. Since this category will be subjective by definition, I think it needs officers that want to work collaboratively to come up with the standards for what makes an interesting intersection and then hold the submissions to those standards. I think this could be a very fun category, but it will be one that takes some thought and work on the part of the officers. It won't always be cut and dried as to what qualifies as it is with my Whispering Giant Sculptures category. I think if we set good standards, it will be one of those categories where Waymarks are prevelant enough that anyone can find one, but there won't be so many that there is one on every corner :bad:

Please help me out if you're interested! We just need one more officer.

Are there any other potential officers out there?

I guess State Farm used to have some listed on their website. All I could find was their top 5 funny intersections in America.

Excerpt from State Farm press release

In reverse order, the five funniest intersection names in America, are:

5. Hickory Avenue and Dickory Avenue where they intersect with Dock Street in Harahan, La.

4. Antonio and Banderas in Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.

3. Ho Road and Hum Road in Carefree, Ariz.

2. Bland Street and Gore Road in Pueblo, Colo.

1. Grinn Drive and Barrett Drive in West Chester, Ohio.

These are the types of things I'm looking for. What could we call the ones like Ho and Hum or Grinn and Barrett?