2007 Hong Kong Geocoin RESERVATIONS!

ozymandiasism

Hi all!

After a few weeks of perfecting the design on the Hong Kong Geocoin, I am now ready to take RESERVATIONS on this 2007 geocoin! The design has just been sent to the coin mint and I should be able to see some samples in 2-3 weeks or so!

A little history lesson about Hong Kong (as I have posted in an earlier thread):

The name "Hong Kong", literally meaning "fragrant harbor", was a British colony from 1842, until its sovereignty was transferred to China in 1997. Hong Kong is on the eastern side of the Pearl River Delta on the southeastern coast of China, facing the South China Sea in the south, and bordering Guangdong Province in the north.

Hong Kong consists of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and the New Territories. The entire city has 236 islands in the South China Sea, of which Lantau is the largest. Hong Kong Island itself is the second largest and also the most populated. Ap Lei Chau “鴨脷洲” (which is where I used to live) is the most densely populated island in the world. There are currently 51 active caches in Hong Kong.

A bunch of these Hong Kong geocoins will be set out in the wild, depending on the number of coins minted. Most likely, 30 will be set free for 500 coins minted, and 60 for 1,000. Still in the process of deciding if I would set them free in the US with missions going back to the Far East…. or if I would bring them back to Hong Kong to put them in caches.

RESERVE your 2007 Hong Kong Geocoin today! The coins have not been ordered from the coin mint so this reservation process will give me a rough idea of the quantity. I anticipate receiving samples in 2-3 weeks, then roughly another 6 weeks of coin production, so estimate shipping date would be around early December, 2006

Coin Images:

FRONT

253634173_26c1f358f6.jpg

• "香港" means "Hong Kong" in Chinese.
  • There will be 4 different layers... the sky and the water would be the lowest level... then the mountains in the background…. then the buildings (3D) and then the junkboat (also 3D) would be raised.
  • The water area will be sandblasted.

BACK

253634170_b640e2617e.jpg

• Direct translation for “在於“地理藏寶”追查” is "At “geocaching.com” track(investigate)"
  • A geographic map of Hong Kong. The colored lines are topographical lines, which represent the landscape of Hong Kong. ie, mountain areas would be raised accordingly... urban area would be relatively flat, etc.
  • The little Chinese characters represent the name of the area. The larger and bold font types present the name of the county (or island).
  • The water area will be sandblasted.

The coin LOOKS busy, but keep in mind that there will be no actual lines on the actual coin! Those are just elevation guides to display landscape for the coin mint.

ICON

253634175_265bfb545e_o.gif

• A Bauhinia blakeana, the floral emblem of Hong Kong.

Coin stats:

Diameter: 2"

Thickness: 3.5mm

Weight: 67g = ~2.4oz

Metal: I have not decided on metal yet and waiting for samples, but the options are tow-tones (Front: Gold Background / Nickel Junkboat; Back: Gold Water / Nickel Land) and various antique finishing. I am also considering Matte finishing as well. We’ll see how they come out for the samples.

If you have a strong preference, make sure you put it in the comment field!

Trackable on geocaching.com

Custom prefix tracking code (DWXXXX)

Custom icon

Estimate Shipping Date: Early December, 2006

Coin Sales and Shipping Information:

The price structure will be slightly different from what I had done before with the Double Dragon Geocoin. Shipping and handling will be separate. This is especially important for me as I might have another set of geocoins coming out soon *wink* Stay tune for info!!

Prices

1 coin: $9.40

2-5 coins: $9.05 ea

6-10 coins: $8.70 ea

11+ coins: $8.40 ea

Shipping and Handling:

Info will be posted upon receive of samples from manufacturer.

Delivery Confirmation included (Domestic only)

Residents in State of CA adds 8.25% sales tax.

All sales in USD. PayPal (credit card accepted) strongly preferred.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me: derek@dwprods.com!

Well, I was hoping I would be able to see samples by the end of the week. That is not the case anymore. The coin mint screwed up the back design.

I gave crystal clear instruction on what I want on the back MANY times so I could avoid mistakes like these.... They ended up molding the topo lines as supposed to using them as GUIDES. The coin looks like a MESS. My rep told me she was shock to see the samples because she knew exactly what I wanted (well, so much for that). I called her up while she is on business trip and gave her a good screaming.

Seems like it will take anotehr week to get the mold revised.. then 3-5 days for shipping....

I'm waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

and thank you everyone for their patience....

Survey:

I received an interesting metal finshing sample from the coin mint yesterday (the ones that they did wrong). The finshing is "Matte Silver", which I would have expected that to be silver. But when I look at it s, the coin is actually almost white, with a hint of metallic look to it. It is actually quite interesting.

I'm still in the process of figuring out different finishing for the Hong Kong geocoin and wondering if anyone would be interested in buying this version.

The scans are not very good, and way too bright, but you get the idea. Again, the back side is wrong and does not represent the final version.

I will take better pics and post them here in the near future, but for now, I just want to find out if anyone likes the "white metallic" look of a coin.

thx

d

Front

275521855_beffbcf9a9_o.jpg

Back

275521874_8135f8fba1_o.jpg

Interesting, yes!

Having seen and touched a two tone double dragon (thank you

ckayaks!) I really liked the two tone finish of that coin. Can't really

tell from the pics here if I like it. It looks washed out, but then

a pic of the dd coin would look the same, i.e. washed out, but in the hand, it was really

beautiful! My favorite coin yet. :yikes::huh:

Cheers,

nooks

OK. There will be a second revsion of the back side of the coin. I guess they created the mold and was dissatisfied with the result as it did not represent my vision of the coin. so.... they are going to redo the mold. again.

The sample hould arrive by Nov 3, Friday, if not the following Monday the latest. I should still be able to receive the coins in the timeframe of Dec 3-8.

Thanks again for your patient!

Edited by ozymandiasism

is it too late to reserve now?

not at all! I should start pre-sale in the next day or two but reservations is still open!

just to let you know, there ar 5 metal finishing, even though the reservations page only has 2 finishing on it, so make sure you put down on the comment field is you are looking for somtnemthing otehr than antique and tow-tones:

Two-tones (FRONT: Nickel junkboat, gold background; BACK: Nickel mountain, land and text, gold water)

Antique Copper

Black Nickel

Chromium

Matte Silver (will only be sold in set)

thx!

d