Geocaching Events

Donmoore

So boring?

Lots of you go away on events then come back and say what a waste of a weekend or a day or whatever... So why not make them more interesting?

Come on you all can't be that unimaginative :antenna:

I think thats a bit harsh!

I have read hardly any logs on events where people said that it was a "waste of a weekend". Have you ever been to an event?

What were your experiences?

So boring?

Lots of you go away on events then come back and say what a waste of a weekend or a day or whatever... So why not make them more interesting?

Come on you all can't be that unimaginative :antenna:

I'm sure the Irish cachers will give you good feedback with your first and fully imaginative event????

When are you going to hold this event, that will beat all others?

:antenna:

My experinces are of late night drunken rowdys playing childish games until the wee small hours while children get away with things that asbo's have been given out for. nicking there parents drink when there not looking not to mention drunks cooking on the BBQ has anyone thouhgt about the potential for undercooked food and food poisoning? No probably not.

what kind of example is this setting?

:antenna::antenna::antenna:

Well I've yet to go to a boring meet! Yes some are different to others, and yes at some all we do is sit around and chat with old and new friends, but is that a bad thing.

I've yet to see a log that said an event is "BORING", please enlighten us.

Perhaps you should attend an event to help you make up your own mind, or even better, host one to show us all how it's done!

My experinces are of late night drunken rowdys playing childish games until the wee small hours while children get away with things that asbo's have been given out for. nicking there parents drink when there not looking not to mention drunks cooking on the BBQ has anyone thouhgt about the potential for undercooked food and food poisoning? No probably not.

Please do enlighten us, your profile shows zero events attended!!!

I think the term is "letting your hair down" and the kids love it as they get away with things they wouldnt at any other time.

It's much better when you can do some thing with out worrying about yer kids at night because they are in front of you with the torch.

Even the bears have fun :antenna::antenna::antenna:

How can you say they are boring?

Late night drinking and playing childish games? ...so what?? I dont drink much at all but I do have a few at the events, no I dont get rowdy but I do have a great laugh at what antics some of them get up to. Its harmless fun, nothing else. If they were boring then I like many others would not go to another one for sure.

There is not one of them who behave in way as to upset or distress others.

Maybe you need to attend an event and see for yourself before you form an opinion.

There is a lot of thought and effort goes into planning an event, its not just turn up and pitch your tents.

My son Cashley would drop everything to attend an event, and there is no way I would allow my 9 yr old to be part of it if it was as bad as you portray.

I am gobsmacked at this post.

No this was topic was posted in jest after chatting as usual in the chat room and deciding to have a laugh but thanks anyway to all who contributed.

My tongue was firmly in cheek and as anyone who knows of me it will probably stay there.

Happy eventing i'm off to my own event and there only room for one!

Edited by Donmoore

Hmmm boring eh?

well... as someone up there said... chance to let your hair down...

during the week I have a very responsible job (yes, I do REALLY!) and a chance to get out and about with my friends, drink, have fun and generally get a bit silly is just too much for me to pass on...

Besides... this weekend would have been a special one for me, and so we had to "take my mind off matters"

I don't care hat anyone says... events are all part of the geocaching experience, and I've made some fantastic friends through events....

Now... when's the next one....lol!!

Oh dear! IMHO the only problem with events is.... they often clash with other (far less exciting events in my diary). I have been to a few and think they are great, the orgainsers always do a good job!

Now, when I come to think of it, just about the best event I went to was in Ireland, started 2pm Thursday and I was finally declared sober and rehydrated by lunchtime Saturday ... only boring thing about it was that there wasn't another the following week! :antenna:

It's obviously OK to post a troll thread when people know who you are!! Not everyone in here frequents the chat, so it was in bad taste to start a thread that got peoples backs up. I hope you enjoyed your we stunt, and that your own personal event was fun. I hope the tent you had for it was suitable and it all lasted more than a few seconds?? :antenna:

Edit to add, people will certainly take you seriously now. NOT!!!

Edited by Haggis Hunter

Getting up on a high horse results in an increase in altitude and a decrease in oxygen. The end result is a brain working less efficiently. Donny, I hope you realise the damage you may have caused with this one flippant remark :mad:

Come on Niall what damge have i done? the original comment was not in bad taste however i accpet that it was not really going to be a lot of peoples cup of tea. Like has already been said by some perhaps this forum should not be taken so seriously and for sure my comments should be taken with a rather large pinch of salt.

Getting up on a high horse results in an increase in altitude and a decrease in oxygen. The end result is a brain working less efficiently. Donny, I hope you realise the damage you may have caused with this one flippant remark :blink:

Come on Niall what damge have i done? the original comment was not in bad taste however i accpet that it was not really going to be a lot of peoples cup of tea. Like has already been said by some perhaps this forum should not be taken so seriously and for sure my comments should be taken with a rather large pinch of salt.

:D

:mad:

Getting up on a high horse results in an increase in altitude and a decrease in oxygen. The end result is a brain working less efficiently. Donny, I hope you realise the damage you may have caused with this one flippant remark :mad:

The damage that I believe you have done, is that you have upset people and continued to play along knowing you had upset others for your own amusement, something which others appear to like also. Getting your kicks out of upsetting others is a very low way to present yourself.

The damage that I believe you have done, is that you have upset people and continued to play along knowing you had upset others for your own amusement, something which others appear to like also. Getting your kicks out of upsetting others is a very low way to present yourself.

I tend to agree, however no forum guidelines were broken so I let the thread continue. I would consider it bad manners, which lets face it isn't really a hanging offence :D . Maybe if in future you want to "wind people up" you should consider a more liberal use of smileys to indicate you're not being serious. :D

If in anyway meant in it bad manners i would have put it that way. and like you said Lacto use of smileys please look at end of my post..

Who did i upset? i see most people have taken it the right way. the only people i could have upset are peoples events i have been to and they read the thread thinking i meant their event....And as has already been well stated my event appearences sit at a big fat round 0..

So if the moderators want to close it down now thats fine. will save anyone else getting hurt.

late night drunken rowdys playing childish games until the wee small hours

This happens every weekend, why should events be any different? :D

oooooo looks like my secret is out as well, it's all a lie I just go to an event to be "normal" :D

Wizzie goes to events for the advanced parking courses on offer :D

I go to play with the kids :D

late night drunken rowdys playing childish games until the wee small hours

This happens every weekend, why should events be any different? :D

oooooo looks like my secret is out as well, it's all a lie I just go to an event to be "normal" :D

Wizzie goes to events for the advanced parking courses on offer :D

I go to play with the kids :D

Maybe it's just me...but I thought that it was a tongue-in-cheek remark, made perhaps by someone who has been reading event logs and wished that they had been able to attend. Am I completely wrong? :laughing:

That was the impression I got.

Having come across DM in the chat room a few times I know what a wag he is.

Being stuck in Ireland can't be that much fun.. how many events do they have? I reckon he is just missing out

:anitongue:

I understand that this was a tongue in cheek comment, but do remember that not everyone visits the Chatroom.

This topic may now have given them the idea that no sensible conversation takes place in there, and thus stops them trying it out.

Just a thought

I thought nonsensical (sp?) conversation was the whole point of a chatroom :laughing::unsure:

I understand that this was a tongue in cheek comment, but do remember that not everyone visits the Chatroom.

This topic may now have given them the idea that no sensible conversation takes place in there, and thus stops them trying it out.

Just a thought

Don't think the OP had owt to do with the chatroom, other than the fact that the person who wrote it uses the chatroom. I'm not sure where you're coming from with that comment.

As for sensible conversation, where does it say that's the goal of the chatroom, and why would people having fun put people off going in? We had over 40 people in there last night, so we must be doing something right.

As you are someone who has come into the chatroom pretending to be someone else, I don't think you are qualified to comment on netiquette.

T