Starbucks Category Anyone?

Lake Placid, NY just got a Starbucks...I'm excited...I like Starbucks...we have a great independent coffee place in Saranac Lake, but it's not the same...

Would anyone be interested in working on a group and category for Starbucks locations?

Jamie

Lake Placid, NY just got a Starbucks...I'm excited...I like Starbucks...we have a great independent coffee place in Saranac Lake, but it's not the same...

Would anyone be interested in working on a group and category for Starbucks locations?

Jamie

I am not in favor of any brand named categories.

I'm mixed about this. I think it would be fun, but is it going to draw as much criticism as the McD's category (ie "Waymarking is just a phonebook that Groundspeak can sell" :)) ? If one were created, I would mark the ones I come across, but I have to wonder where to draw the line on categories devoted to a single commercial business?

I don't think this would be a 'fun' category. But I do think it'd be a useful category.

Waymarking is just as much about usefulness as it is about having fun....you might not think it fun to locate or seek such an establishment, but when 'out of town' might find it very useful when jonsing for a frappachino.

i am for the 'bucks' cat. though it and predecessor (McDs) will be criticized, they would both be global in scope. 'chain' categories bring up some complaints (phonebook/advertising), but not all chains are global.

as i said before, it is not a question of if people will want 'other' types of categories, it is when. now is the time. with a category like this you are sure to shoot to the top in the largest categories (it only takes just under 200 marks to be on the first page). make a comprehensive variable set and noone can argue.

It is the possible negativity that brand name categories bring to Waymarking that makes me against them. If you ask the general geocaching community about Waymarking. The first answer will be something about the McDonalds category and they will look no further. The same with happen with the Starbucks category.

The usefulness of the category is limited... If I want to find where one of the thousands of Starbucks are I can go their website and the store locator is conveniently located on the front page.

Jamie

Only if I can have a Dunkin Donuts category!! :antenna:

I think this everytime I pass one or am out of my familiar territory and wonder where the closest one is. But, the negativity surrounding McD's led me to believe it would never get through peer review. At least McD's is international, and DD's is U.S. regional. Starbucks has a wider distribution, and has the added advantage of offering Wi-Fi.

I think the only way to find out if this will fly is to create the group and category and submit it to peer review and see what happens and what TPTB say, as well, at the end.

Personally, I think that if a group wants to manage the category, they should be allowed to do so. Those who have disdain for McD's or Starbucks, or other branded categories can ignore them. I don't see that it should bother anyone else.

For all of McD's received criticism, there are sure a lot of people who have contributed waymarks to the category! That's enough for me.

ChapterhouseInc Posted Today, 02:01 PM

i put my two cents in.

I doubt you got much of a drink then! :D I've seen their prices, and 2c wouldn't fill the bowl of a McDonald's coffee spoon. :D

As an Officer in the pending Tim Horton's group, it'll be interesting to watch this one play out.

:D The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Tim Horton's is HUGE in Canada.... and has expanded into the United States in the last 2 years, mostly in the New England States.

Tim Horton's started out much like Dunkin Donuts (had to type that would slowly since I'm not used to that spelling :laughing: )

Here is a link to The FIRST Tim Horton's which also includes a link to the corporate Website.

Since I live in the North American city that has the "Most doughnut stores per capita" (according to 'The Tonight Show'), we are rather passionate about our 'guilty pleasure'.

When the idea of a Krispy Kreme in Canada was brought up in the media... there was quite the revolt. Two years later, all Krispy Kreme locations in Canada have closed due to 'lack of interest' :P

It was quite interesting...

However... Starbucks is doing very well, because it appeals to a different set of clients. Still, around here, Starbucks will never attain the level that Tim Horton's enjoys.

:D The Blue Quasar

Just a FYI, Starbucks is international.

The ones in the main 48 of the states are part of the North America brand, ones in Hawaii are International brand, same as the ones in china & other countries.

I used to work for starbucks (heck, needed a job & was the first in my area but I actually prefer DD coffee, heh) & when I was in Hawaii in '03 I asked several of the managers if they would take on a transfer.

They told me they were part of the international brand & getting transfers from the NA brand was a hassle so my best bet would be to apply as a rehire aka quit & try to rejoin. (shrugs)

Oh well, I'll join both the 'Bucks & any DD that comes up. And while its actually worth its own topic.. anyone thought of doing a Sonics catergory then? Hehe

Once the category passes and Waymarking evolves into its next phase, I'll be glad to be able to load starbucks waypoints into my gps before travel...I feel the same about tim hortons, einstein brothers, dunkin donuts, etc...

Those type of waymarks, along with waymarks from the brewpubs, BBQ, and steakhouses categories are of more interest, and will be of more use, to me than Texas roadside historical markers...there's room in Waymarking for everyone's interests...and room to ignore stuff that you don't care about as well...

Waymarking is interesting to me for a number of reasons, guiding me via GPS technology to good coffee being one of them...

Vote early and often to approve the Starbucks category!!! :)

Jamie - NFA

Am I sensing a "Waymarks along a Route" topic coming? {wait... is that Nate I hear groaning?} :)

I agree, some of the useful Waymarks are things like that. Waymarking will be a huge benefit for traveling.

Starbucks will be an excellent addition, for various reasons. Coffee & Wi-Fi! Well needed for GPS activity enhancement!

:) The Blue Quasar

Am I sensing a "Waymarks along a Route" topic coming? {wait... is that Nate I hear groaning?} :laughing:I agree, some of the useful Waymarks are things like that. Waymarking will be a huge benefit for traveling. Starbucks will be an excellent addition, for various reasons. Coffee & Wi-Fi! Well needed for GPS activity enhancement!(:) The Blue Quasar

...and "Roadsite Stops - Picnic Areas - Scenic Roadsite Lookouts - Gas Stations - Information Centres - Blueberry/Veggy Gardens - Johnny/Jane on the Spot" - the list is endless. (let's not forget those darn expensive batteries)

...How to enter them into "Waymarks along a Route" is another problem. (eh - OpinoNate?) :)

Jamie

I am not in favor of any brand named categories.

I'm not either, but I won't stop anyone from doing this. I just won't list any waypoints into that category.

I just listed the first Starbucks waymark in the new category...

Other coffee stores, even Seattle's Best, should not be listed in this category...

I am aware that there are people who were/are not in favor of this category...do what I do with categories that I don't like (or have no interest in)...ignore it...

I look forward to finding out about Starbucks locations all over the world with this category, thanks for the positive votes that put this category over the top!

Jamie - NFA

NFA Posted Today, 12:46 PM

I just listed the first Starbucks waymark in the new category...

Well done you... I saw it was published today and was going to grab the one by my house... but forgot on my way home (dinner trumps waymarks)

Other coffee stores, even Seattle's Best, should not be listed in this category...

Totally agree. That would be like sticking Burger King into McDonald's.

If they wanted "Coffee Chain Locations", they would have called it that.

:anitongue: The Blue Quasar