Permission to place

mgbmusic

Ok folks, got an interesting question for you and I ask for a number of reasons. I'm big on the whole "Follow the rules" thing (except, perhaps, while driving, but anyway) and I was wondering - If someone places a cache in an aea such as a forest preserve (large area), can another cache assume that permission for 1 was given, so why not a second? I would extrapolate this to say if 5 cahces are in a large forest preserve, surely someone will have asked and received permission. Would it not be safe to assume that permission is granted for my cahce as well?

I ask for two reasons - 1. I wouldn't be too sure to whom to direct my request when it comes to an area such as forest preserve - city, county, state?

2. I wouldn't want to compromise our sport, or someone else's cache if I were to ask, and be denied. It may alert authorities that unauthorized caches were place w/o permission and compromisethe integrity of those majority who DO ask.

Just some random thoughts...

Alright I pulled your leg, so now I'll give ya what I hope is the best answer. In short, there isn't a blanket answer. Different states have different policies and cachers should be responsible enough to ask around the community before placing a questionable cache. If its a key holder under a park bench or in a lampskirt, most people aren't going to take the time to ask for permission. If its in a library book at the public library or in someones yard, I assume permission was obtained. But as you know assuming makes a .... you know the expression. If it is on some kind of public land like national forest, city right of way, greenbelt, etc. then you have a gray zone. Some states don't mind caches, some want you to just let them know where its at and maybe fill out a permit (free), some have blanket banned us. In these cases I think the hider AND the finder need to know the local rules.

My .02

If someone places a cache in an aea such as a forest preserve (large area), can another cache assume that permission for 1 was given, so why not a second? I would extrapolate this to say if 5 cahces are in a large forest preserve, surely someone will have asked and received permission. Would it not be safe to assume that permission is granted for my cahce as well?

You can't assume permission was given for the first cache because not every place has a policy requiring permission.

If permission was required and granted for the first cache, then you usually would need to obtain permission for any subsequent hides there. Its not safe to assume permission for your cache will be granted. Some places cap the number of caches they will allow.

Ask your local reviewer about your particular forest.

There are a ton, hundreds, of caches in one of the state forests near me. Caches attract caches. Every time somebody places a cache there they need a permit.

There are a ton, hundreds, of caches in Water Management District lands around me. Every time somebody places a cache there they need squat. The WMD thinks caching is "part of hiking activity" and says "place caches freely".

You local reviewer will know about your local area.

Edited by Isonzo Karst