newbie help

wearcat

Ebay is by far the cheepest but it does take a little work to find the right on and remember to take into account the shipping costs. I also prefer garmins I find they are more user friendly. If you are looking for something that might give you the best bang for your buck. I like the gamin Legeng or the Vista. When i got mine off ebay though i was able to get an Gamin 76 Map for half price.

Well, rather than just throw out a couple brands or models, I will volunteer the following:

Answer these questions:

1) What is your budget?

2) What will you be using it for? Just geocaching?

3) What features do you want? Is autorouting ( having the GPS tell you how to get from Point A to Point B ) important to you? Are maps important to you?

4) Will you be doing most caching in the woods where tree cover might be an issue, or will you be doing mostly urban caching in parks and parking lots?

After you have that information, we'll be in a better condition to make recommendations.

Edited by ThePropers

Well, rather than just throw out a couple brands or models, I will volunteer the following:

Answer these questions:

1) What is your budget?

3) What features do you want? Is autorouting ( having the GPS tell you how to get from Point A to Point B ) important to you? Are maps important to you?

4) Will you be doing most caching in the woods where tree cover might be an issue, or will you be doing mostly urban caching in parks and parking lots?

After you have that information, we'll be in a better condition to make recommendations.

Excellent questions!!!!

best buy carries a few GPS units in stock. if you are looking for a deal, you can probably find an opened package model for cheap, since they seem to come back to the store a lot. I got mine that way because I didn't have that much money to spend on one.

walmart has a few different models, and walmart.com has a larger variety at good prices.

ebay has used and new units, but then..., it's ebay and everything bad that goes along with that.

there is a forum here for buying used units, you are then dealing with an unknown seller though

best buy carries a few GPS units in stock. if you are looking for a deal, you can probably find an opened package model for cheap, since they seem to come back to the store a lot. I got mine that way because I didn't have that much money to spend on one.

walmart has a few different models, and walmart.com has a larger variety at good prices.

ebay has used and new units, but then..., it's ebay and everything bad that goes along with that.

there is a forum here for buying used units, you are then dealing with an unknown seller though

I agree with the above, I bought my Garmin Emap as an open box at BestBuy over 4 years ago for under $200 (about a 40% savings). It's performed flawlessly ever since, even though I've used it for off-roading extensively (re: lots of dirt, dust and vibration). This way I got a fully mapping GPSr for about the same price as a non-mapping system normally went for.

One other thought:, Figure out what level of GPSr you think you need at this point, then buy a unit several levels up. This will keep you from having to upgrade anytime in the near future as you will undoubtably find yourself looking for more advanced features once you get into caching.

If you wanna get one right now and get started with no waiting around - but NOT invest a lot of money until you're sure this game is for you - the little yellow Garmin eTrex retails for $100 or less. Target will sometimes have them hanging on the pegboards in the sportiing goods.

The little yeller feller is the starter unit for many geocachers. .. and the only unit for some of us with a few years in the game.

Answer these questions:

1) What is your budget?

just to anwser these few questions..

1. the cheaper the better

2. just for geocaching on a weekend as my 4 year old into trasure hunting at the minute so i thought it would be good fun for us to do it as a family .

3. easy to understand features but mainly just to give the last bit of information on co-ordinates of where the item is hidden as will be starting off with local areas which we know where to find.

4. possibly will be going into wooded areas.

can i say thanks to everyone who has given me help and good luck with your next find x

Answer these questions:

1) What is your budget?

just to anwser these few questions..

1. the cheaper the better

2. just for geocaching on a weekend as my 4 year old into trasure hunting at the minute so i thought it would be good fun for us to do it as a family .

3. easy to understand features but mainly just to give the last bit of information on co-ordinates of where the item is hidden as will be starting off with local areas which we know where to find.

4. possibly will be going into wooded areas.

can i say thanks to everyone who has given me help and good luck with your next find x

Given your criteria, look into the Garmin Geko 101. Garmin has discontinued it, but you can still probably find it at a deep discount. I've seen it sold for as little as $49. Its a very basic unit, easy to use (even for your 4 year old) and perfect for an ocassional geocacher.

If you get semi serious about the sport, you might find the 101 wanting, as you have to key in all the coordinated by hand and it doesn't hook up to a PC, but if you're only going out to find a cache or two every few weekends the 101 should be just fine. If you want to step up a notch, the Geko 201 sells for around $100 and can hook up to a PC.

Just a warning about that E place, I'm sure you all have heard it before...

While you can usually get decent deals there, there is _usually_ no return policy as its buyer beware territory. And sometimes you get what you pay for.. so that Garmin 60CSX for $50USD just might be stolen or broken.

I've had great dealings there in my few yrs being a member, on both buyer & sellers side, but like everyone I've heard the horror stories too.

If you can get one from a local store, always check the return policy, so you dont get hit with a surprise later.

Good luck to you & welcome to what may become a obession, hehe.

Just a warning about that E place, I'm sure you all have heard it before...

While you can usually get decent deals there, there is _usually_ no return policy as its buyer beware territory. And sometimes you get what you pay for.. so that Garmin 60CSX for $50USD just might be stolen or broken.

I've had great dealings there in my few yrs being a member, on both buyer & sellers side, but like everyone I've heard the horror stories too.

If you can get one from a local store, always check the return policy, so you dont get hit with a surprise later.

Good luck to you & welcome to what may become a obession, hehe.

You can pretty much protect yourself from badness on ebay by checking the seller's feedback before you bid and by paying with PayPal. If you pay by PayPal with a credit card, you're doubly protected.