SIRF Software 2.80 for Garmin C(S)X ?

NewZealand
Followers 2

I heard from a friend who bought a new GPSMAP 60 CSX, that it had FW 3.0 and Sirfware 2.80.

I didn't see it by myself because we phoned only, but he is a reliable guy and red the info directly from the display after my hints (because I thought he must possibly do a FW-upgrade).

So why does Garmin not put their latest and greatest firmwares on their Website, if new units are already sold with the new firmware?

I'm one of these poor human beings who must always be at the bleeding edge, :rolleyes: and load latest software and firmware to the units one minute after they appear. :rolleyes:

So I wasn't happy to see my GPS-newbie friend having a better (or at least: later) software than I do. :)

Maybe they want to lump tons of stuff together for a larger website update?
I hope so. If they would add some SD-card functionality, I'm happy to wait. :)

It could also be that a revision changed on the SiRF chip, and the 2.8 version is not compatible with the older chips?
I don't believe that.

In this case their Webupdater would need to differentiate between 2 SIRF-chipsets for the same unit. This is unlikely (though not completely impossible, you are right).

Maybe they want to lump tons of stuff together for a larger website update?
I hope so. If they would add some SD-card functionality, I'm happy to wait. :)

It could also be that a revision changed on the SiRF chip, and the 2.8 version is not compatible with the older chips?
I don't believe that.

In this case their Webupdater would need to differentiate between 2 SIRF-chipsets for the same unit. This is unlikely (though not completely impossible, you are right).

Can you be 100% sure it is 2.8 version ?

I would be extremely surprised that in the production line at the time they made this GPS, they had these soft release. Most come with older release than available on the Garmin web site.

This is true for almost any equipment. Consider the time it takes from the factory in Taiwan or China to the final customer !

i picked up my garmin GPSmap 60CSx this friday, 2.70 and 3.00 were installed on this one.. but hey, its garmin switzerland, so there might be a delay. altough i was extremely pleased to see those (at least known) versions to be pre-installed.. still had to do the registry-hack for the (topo) swiss map to work properly. that way it was a bit of a letdown, but otherwise i am extremely pleased with the unit and even garmin's (switzerland AND europe) support, as the later replied to me within 24h, after the weekends even shorter, and switzerland offered me to send in the cd which i had some problems to begin with. see this thread: picked up my GPSmap 60CSx finally!!!

Edited by terrible2u
I don't believe that.

Not to mention the fact that it would really urk those of us who bought the "old hardware" x series units. I think new hardware should be introduced in new units. I would hope that Garmin feels the same way!

Looking forward to some updates, though.... lock time has just never been the same since a couple firmwares back. Sometimes it's painfully slow. It didn't used to be that way :antenna:

You should pick your firend's brain a little-- I want to know what's different :antenna:

i picked up my garmin GPSmap 60CSx this friday, 2.70 and 3.00 were installed on this one.. but hey, its garmin switzerland, so there might be a delay. altough i was extremely pleased to see those (at least known) versions to be pre-installed.. still had to do the registry-hack for the (topo) swiss map to work properly. that way it was a bit of a letdown, but otherwise i am extremely pleased with the unit and even garmin's (switzerland AND europe) support, as the later replied to me within 24h, after the weekends even shorter, and switzerland offered me to send in the cd which i had some problems to begin with. see this thread: picked up my GPSmap 60CSx finally!!!

Some vendors upgrade to the latest firmware as a convenience for the buyers. When the unit comes nexw, it nly displays one soft realease (the Garmin but not the Sirf).

It stroke me when I upgraded the firmware the firs time (that you have to do twice to get both firmware installed)

I just bought a new 60CSx and it came with chipset version 2.80. Not really understanding what I was doing, I mistakenly downloaded version 2.70 from Garmin update website and replaced the 2.80 it came with. Any idea how I get the version 2.80 back?? Does anyone know what the difference is??

Mine also came with 2.80 and 3.00 this tuesday. And webupdater couldn't find anything to update... :laughing:

/Mogens

I agree, I have never bought any piece of equipment with the newest firmware or software installed, let alone a soon to be released software. would it be nice to see some new upgrades? you bet!

Well, I have to admit that my wife's Magellan eXplorist 600 came with the newest firmware revision on it. My Garmin GPSmap 60CSx came with the [then] current firmware already installed. To be even more honest, all of our iPods have even come with the most recent firmware on them. While I always check to see if I need updates, I find that many devices already have the newest, especially if you are an early adopter, or buy a "fast mover" so that things tend to not sit in the supply chain for extended periods of time...

Can you be 100% sure it is 2.8 version ?

I would be extremely surprised that in the production line at the time they made this GPS, they had these soft release. Most come with older release than available on the Garmin web site.

This is true for almost any equipment. Consider the time it takes from the factory in Taiwan or China to the final customer !

Actually, my Venture cx got shipped about a week before the v2.5 software for that unit came out. And it already had the new release. This means that either Garmin packages the units in the US and updates them all; or that the factory starts using the new firmware weeks before they are published on the website.

Hi

There are often technical reasons why "updates" are not released to the planet while new production models get the new software, e.g. there might be a problem with ungrading from version X to version Y. Any responsible software and hardware developer does not want in introduce a problem - the helpdesk/service desk would get swamped in about 3 nanoseconds (judging by the posts in here!).

I finally got some information from Garmin on the 2.80 update. They said that there is a 2.80 update that they are still bug testing upgrade wise. The rep told me that they typically put the new software on production units before the update is available. I wasn't able to get any information on the bug fixes/features.

I did ask though if the new production units have any different hardware that may be causing the update to be delayed (such as the new SIRF III chip that uses less power) and he assured me that the 60CSX hasn't received any hardware modifications and that it is only a matter of time before I could get the 2.80 update.

On a side note, I also found out how to clear the almanac on the 60CSX. Hold the OUT button as you power the unit on. It will clear and then place outside for at least 20 minutes as it downloads the new info from the sats

Robert (Team CypherX)

I finally got some information from Garmin on the 2.80 update. They said that there is a 2.80 update that they are still bug testing upgrade wise. The rep told me that they typically put the new software on production units before the update is available. I wasn't able to get any information on the bug fixes/features.

I did ask though if the new production units have any different hardware that may be causing the update to be delayed (such as the new SIRF III chip that uses less power) and he assured me that the 60CSX hasn't received any hardware modifications and that it is only a matter of time before I could get the 2.80 update.

On a side note, I also found out how to clear the almanac on the 60CSX. Hold the OUT button as you power the unit on. It will clear and then place outside for at least 20 minutes as it downloads the new info from the sats

Robert (Team CypherX)

clap2.gif

My guess is they are using bug-testing as an excuse to finish UNIT firmware 3.10. Look at the last updates:

GPSMAP 60CSx Ver. 3.00 as of Jul 19, 2006 Download

GPS Chipset Type G Ver. 2.70 as of Jul 19, 2006 Download

Both are on Jul 19th. I bet this next week we'll see both 2.80 and 3.10 released on the same day.

Just a guess