How would you allocate $500?

OK, I live in Alaska, and we're all looking forward to next month, when we receive our annual payout just for living here. This year's pay out is a little over $1,106 per person. I was thinking of using $500 of mine to get a new GPSr and a new palm pilot. I used to have a Palm IIIc, but haven't used it in a couple of years, and never used it for caching.

I currently have an eTrex Legend, the blue one.

If you were gonna spend $500 on a new palm and GPS, how would you allocate it, and what models would you purchase?

OK, I live in Alaska, and we're all looking forward to next month, when we receive our annual payout just for living here. This year's pay out is a little over $1,106 per person. I was thinking of using $500 of mine to get a new GPSr and a new palm pilot. I used to have a Palm IIIc, but haven't used it in a couple of years, and never used it for caching.

If you were gonna spend $500 on a new palm and GPS, how would you allocate it, and what models would you purchase?

how can you get paid just for living in the Alaska? that is interesting fact! lol everyone gets that much? even a 3 yr old kid? :)

Just my opinion, but you could get a Garmin 60csx ($409.99), a used Palm IIIxe off Ebay ($20-30), cachemate to use on the Palm to organize your caches ($8), and GSAK($20) or EasyGPS(free). All of that would still be under $500. If you do buy a 60csx, you may want to consider saving up a little more and buying Mapsource Topo if you hike alot, or City Navigator if you want to use the unit in the car to navigate along roads. Each program is about $100. If you consider using those programs you may also want to get a larger memory card which will run you about $25 or so.

I am using the 60csx and Palm IIIxe combination and it works great for me. If you do not want the electronic compass or altimeter, you may consider the cheaper option of the 60cx. I am sure there are other options too, depending on exactly what you are wanting. Good luck searching for a new GPS.

(I just noticed that you have a Palm IIIc. I am not sure, but that would probably also work using cachemate.)

Edited by wpwfs2003
I currently use the Palm IIIxe and agree that it's a great way to cache paperless. But what would be the next step up from the IIIxe?
I use a Palm TX (with CetusGPS and PathAway for advanced GPS/geocaching functions and colour moving-map display respectively) with a Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS module. Works like a charm, and since getting an Otterbox 2600 I've never had cause to wish I'd bought a dedicated GPSr. Especially as both Cetus and PathAway store my Pocket Queries and sort by distance to my current location (and, in the case of Cetus, have the entire cache text and hint available). Plus the WiFi is rather useful when I'm back in civilisation!

That'd definitely be my recommendation. Why carry two bulky devices (the IIIxe and the Garmin) when you can carry one (plus the Zippo-sized Holux, which is sensitive enough to sit in the top of your backpack and still work)?

-Gareth

Edited by Blacklaw

Hehehe, that certainly is a step up, but I was thinking baby-step, not a giant-leap-for-mankind step.

The Palm IIIxe is great because it's cheap and can hold ~1500 cache descriptions in its 8mb of space. Tha battery life is excellent. I don't mind carrying it around, it's not bulky at all. And if I lost it, I wouldn't cry and contemplate slitting my wrists. That said, what would be NEXT step up from that?

I concur 100% with wpwfs2003! My setup is a 60Cx and a PalmIIIxe w/cachemate and GSAK. Can't beat this for the money. (Oh, I also have City Select and US Topo).

I currently use the Palm IIIxe and agree that it's a great way to cache paperless. But what would be the next step up from the IIIxe?

Guys how would we go paperless cache if we have a PDA? what software we should get etc....or need?

I have 60CSX and Palm Tungsten T3. I haven't taken advantage of my T3 much...not much software is on it. And i feel a waste of money for it.

dd_1.JPG

I concur 100% with wpwfs2003! My setup is a 60Cx and a PalmIIIxe w/cachemate and GSAK. Can't beat this for the money. (Oh, I also have City Select and US Topo).

Guys how would we go paperless cache if we have a PDA? what software we should get etc....or need?

I have 60CSX and Palm Tungsten T3. I haven't taken advantage of my T3 much...not much software is on it. And i feel a waste of money for it.

dd_1.JPG

Get GSAK for your PC and cachemate ofr the palm... The DL pocket queries (premium members only) and away you go...

As for the ultimate $500 question... If you go with a dedicated GPSr, get a garmin with a Sirf receiver. If I had that $$$ it's be a hard choice between a good dedicated GPSr and a palm based Bluetooth version. I think I'd probably go with an awesome palm with bluetooth and the supporting maps so it's all in one in terms of the devices you need to handle in the field. Yes you still have a GPS and palm as 2 seperate pieces, but with a bluetooth GPS for the palm is can be in your pocket, backpack, or tag along as part of the palm depending on which one you choose....

I'm looking at a Palm treo 650 right now myself so i can combine 2 of my 3 devices I take everywhere... The GPSr, cellphone, and palm...

Ben

Hehehe, that certainly is a step up, but I was thinking baby-step, not a giant-leap-for-mankind step.

The Palm IIIxe is great because it's cheap and can hold ~1500 cache descriptions in its 8mb of space. Tha battery life is excellent. I don't mind carrying it around, it's not bulky at all. And if I lost it, I wouldn't cry and contemplate slitting my wrists. That said, what would be NEXT step up from that?

Maybe one with a color screen? hopefully a screen that doesn't fade out when cold :antenna: .

There's probably actually some models that have the same screen but more memory or a faster processor, but I don't know what they are.

You could go with an eTrex Legend and a Palm IIIc.

I would also go with the 60CX thought I paid 319 with shipping and after rebate. I am still looking for City Select7 for a reaonable price. If you want to savea bit of money look for City Select 6 on ebay for under 100. This will leave you with plenty of money for a PDA. Maybe an older pocket PC such as my Ipaq 3955. It should be fairly inexpensive on ebay and will have a lot more capabilities.

I use a Palm TX (with CetusGPS and PathAway for advanced GPS/geocaching functions and colour moving-map display respectively) with a Holux GPSlim236 Bluetooth GPS module. Works like a charm, and since getting an Otterbox 2600 I've never had cause to wish I'd bought a dedicated GPSr. Especially as both Cetus and PathAway store my Pocket Queries and sort by distance to my current location (and, in the case of Cetus, have the entire cache text and hint available). Plus the WiFi is rather useful when I'm back in civilisation!

That'd definitely be my recommendation. Why carry two bulky devices (the IIIxe and the Garmin) when you can carry one (plus the Zippo-sized Holux, which is sensitive enough to sit in the top of your backpack and still work)?

-Gareth

The OP is from Alaska and lists fishing and camping as some of his/her hobbies. I would go with a waterproof, shockproof GPSr and an inexpensive Palm. I also have a TX, but it doesn't come out of my pack until I need cache information. Just my $0.02.

Why is a PDA needed if you have a 60CSX. Can't you just load in the geocaches with hints using the custom POI loader and then not need a PDA?

Well, you can get some of the hint---long hints won't all fit in there. And if you want other info, too, such as the cache type and size that takes up some space, too. I wouldn't go out caching without the entire cache page to read and I am not spending any more of my time or money printing out cache pages.

I keep the maps and cache info for the nearest 500 caches to my home in my GPS all the time. If I find myself having to run to the far side of the big city across the river for an errand, I can look to see if there is a cache nearby I can do while I'm there. (No, I'm not addicted to geocaching, I could stop any time I wanted to, really).

how can you get paid just for living in the Alaska? that is interesting fact! lol everyone gets that much? even a 3 yr old kid? :mad:

To answer your questions, the answers is is, you jsut apply. And yes, everyone gets them, even a 3 year old kid. Matter of fact, as long as your a resident, and the kid is born by December 31, he will get a dividend check the following year.

When the oil boom hit back in the 1970s, the governemt set up a Permanent fund in which oil royalties are deposited. Every year, the earnings from that fund are paid out to all eligible residents of the state. To be eligible, you have to have lived here for a year, be a resident, and plan to remain here indefinitely.

When the first dividends were paid out in 1980, it was $1,000 per person. The following year dropped down to about $300, and it went up most years after that, til it maxed out around 1998 or 1999 at just a little under $2,000. When the stocket market took a crap, followed by a really big crap after 9/11, dividends took a dive, even getting back below $1,000 the past couple years. This year it went back over $1,000 per person for the first time in about 3 years.

Enough of the history of the Alaska Permanent Fund. Thanks for the ideas on how to upgrade my caching.

I went from Palm IIIxe to the Palm m125 - same memory and all PLUS a SD card slot. I got one on ebay for 1 dollar and another for 12 dollars.

To the OP - I agree with most everyone, 60cx (if you need/want a compass buy a silva), maps (topo or street), used PDA, CacheMate and GSAK.

I personally use a T|X running Cachemate/cachenav coupled with a Globalsat BT-338 GPSr. It is an excellent combination with just a couple of notable limitations.

1. Both units use a battery pack rather that AA/AAA batts. Not a problem if you do most of your caching from a car, but if you're going deep into the woods not so good.

2. Cachemate takes a horribly long time to do a proximity search if you have a lot of caches in it. I have over 9K in mine and really need to start erasing the waypoint and limiting myself to my home area and where I might be going outside of it.

3. No mapping software in my current config. Anyone know of a good mapping software for the T|X?

Hope this helped.