FTF tally

tenacityj

I have really been trying to be First To Find lately. I was just wondering how many FTFs every one else has and why there isn't a running tally on the website so that a person could compare their number of FTFs with others. I have about 8 FTFs; all of them within the last week and a half.

Some people in your area love and worship your effort and dedication. Others hate your guts.

Keep up the good work. Post the tally on your profile, and maybe even list the caches that you were FTF.

I have really been trying to be First To Find lately. I was just wondering how many FTFs every one else has and why there isn't a running tally on the website so that a person could compare their number of FTFs with others. I have about 8 FTFs; all of them within the last week and a half.

I would guess my FTF are somewhere between 100-150. But I dont keep track. and even if I am ftf, I dont write that in my found it log. When I first started, it seemed like an extra challenge to me. Indeed it was on ONE......the hider had covered the cache with fresh leaves and such....a visit a week later would have been MUCH easier. Conversly it can work the other way, that you follow the fresh footprints right to the cache.

I would just say that FTF is as important as you want it to be. For me, its not.

Now what I DO consider a challenge is finding a cache that hasnt been found for many months. Footpaths are gone. Spiders taken over. Maybe a few DNF. Finding that cache, even if I am number 50.....sweeet!

That being said.....Ive found all the caches within 30 miles or so....and one just popped up an hour ago, only 7 miles from ground zero. Its taking all I have to not go and start the jeep........not for the FTF ( though it is still nice) but because theres a new cache !

Dang it all.....its ONLY 11 PM. Jeep is awaiting.......how much will power DO i have? Tell you what, if it wasnt walnut harvest, that answer would be zero and I wouldnt even be writing this post! I would be logging a find!

There is no tally for a few reasons. FTF doesn't necessarily mean first to log online, so there is no way for this website to tell who the FTF is. Also, FTF when a cache is published on this website doesn't mean the cache wasn't out there for a while and listed someplace else.

I think though that the main reason is that TPTB of this site try not to encourage competetion. That's why they don't publish top 10 lists and other stats other than raw finds. And I'm willing to bet that looking back they wish they didn't publish find counts, seeing what it has turned this sport into.

As far as people with a lot of FTFs. There is one cacher in my area with almost 4,500 finds and I'm willing to bet that about 1/3 of them are FTFs. Another had a tad over 1,000 finds when he stopped logging and most of those were FTFs.

Edited by briansnat

Howdy tenacityj!!

Most people just keep track of those on their profile page. Because there is no time associated with logs - it is difficult for the system to sort out true FTF. There are a few programs you can download a "my finds" PQ into to give you your count but even those require some tweaking.

Glad to see you have some hides now. Very glad to see a new local here in the forums and geocaching.

There is no tally for a few reasons. FTF doesn't necessarily mean first to log online, so there is no way for this website to tell who the FTF is. Also, FTF when a cache is published on this website doesn't mean the cache wasn't out there for a while and listed someplace else.

I think though that the main reason is that TPTB of this site try not to encourage competetion. That's why they don't publish top 10 lists and other stats other than raw finds. And I'm willing to bet that looking back they wish they didn't publish find counts, seeing what it has turned this sport into.

Seems to me that it would be a simple matter for Groundspeak to put a "log this as an FTF" checkbox on the "post new find" page. If someone wants to log a find as an FTF, even though they didn't, that's their problem - and who cares. Like it or not, with pretty much every human endeavor there is competition. Similarly, we keep score in everything we do (whether it's the size of our savings accounts, the value or our cars or the diverse nature of our toys. This hobby is certainly no different. FTF hounds go out at all hours of the day and night to beat other people to the punch, whether Groundspeak chooses to acknowledge their find as a FTF or just any other find.

It would be nice to have the stat available, and the FTF's sortable to see who the big man (or woman) on campus is. It also frees up the limited space on the profile pages to talk about our love of frisbee golf or some other riveting topic.

Seems to me that it would be a simple matter for Groundspeak to put a "log this as an FTF" checkbox on the "post new find" page. If someone wants to log a find as an FTF, even though they didn't, that's their problem - and who cares.

The cynic in me looks at your statement and assumes that you expect people to "fake" their FtF numbers. (And I do, too... ermm.gif

Since the stat couldn't be trusted anyway, there's really no point in Groundspeak spending the resources trying to keep track of it.

Out of 114 finds, I was FTF on 8. I keep my FTFs in a bookmark list. I like seeing who logs the cache after I get it. I am in Western OK and I have a friendly competition with a couple of Oklahoma City cachers for FTFs. Anytime one pops up between here and the city, the race is on. However, the distance is such that it is usually a day or two, or sometimes the weekend, before anyone makes the drive to go get it.

Last week, one popped up that was a 50 mile drive for any of us. It popped up on Wednesday. Then on Friday, 2 more came open at the same lake. We loaded up the 5th wheel camper Fri after work, and went there. Set up camp and got the FTF on the one on our side of the lake. After breakfast Sat. we went to the other ones, and got FTF on those, too. The OKC boys ended up following us all day, the got there about an hour after we did. We all got a kick out of the logs for those finds.

The first one Fri night

Sat AM

Another Sat AM

I think the competition for FTFs here is a big part of what makes the game so fun for us. It also helps when you place a new cache and someone actually goes for it quickly, rather than it languishing for a couple of weeks unfound. Also, good reports on the cache from FTFs encourages others to make the drive to come find it, as well. Witness this one... Other cachers went because of pictures I posted

Edited by disenchanted

Not this topic again ;):laughing:

I find the whole FTF phenomena rather silly. First is fun, but I hope to get so much more out of the game than that. There is a player near me that will not hunt a cache after the FTF has been achieved. Why?

I'd also be afraid that a FTF tally would contribute to the disrespectful behavior that some FTF hound have for local laws and park regulations. (This is not a global generalization of all FTF hounds, but you must admit, some folk have no qualms about sneaking into a park after hours or parking illegally to grab a FTF)

LogicWeave CacheStats is a free program that can analyze your "My Finds" query and generate some neat statistics, including how many FTF's you have. (Note that it does this by searching for the phrase "FTF" in your logs, so you still have to double-check).

Apart from that I see no real need to add any further tracking functionality to the website.

We're FTF nuts, we admit it. We don't know exactly how many we have, but it's in the 30 range.

It always tickles us when someone posts that they've got one or two hundred FTFs but they 'don't keep track of them....'

Yeah, sure. Admit it you sick FTF loonies. You've got it bad for FTFs and to say you don't keep track of them when you have over a 100 and know it? We're not oxymorons... Your claims are just like Jumbo Shrimp or Military Intelligence!

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

LogicWeave CacheStats is a free program that can analyze your "My Finds" query and generate some neat statistics, including how many FTF's you have. (Note that it does this by searching for the phrase "FTF" in your logs, so you still have to double-check).

I've tried that. You really do have to double check everything, because if you were the second to find, and put something like "missed the FtF by ten minutes" in your log, it will mark it as an FtF.

GSAK lets you add a column with a FtF checkbox. I've gotten into the habit of marking that right away when I log the cache so I don't have to go back and figure it out again in the future.

i don't count mine. i have a lot. i don't know how many. it's not a stat i want to know; i think posting them is tacky.

you want to know how many i have? go back and read the logs.

that's what's really important: the story.

if they ever go to listeing FF count, that's when i'll stop posting any of my logs.

We don't have that many FTFs, maybe eight or nine. There's only been one FTF that was REALLY important to us and that was an adventure cache called Treasures of the McCormick. This one was a matter of principle because our first attempt was a disaster. We enjoy an extreme cache and prefer to hunt them before the trails are worn in.

What an incredible tale of woe and redemption! The pictures of the trail are gorgeous and your dog Geoffrey is a looker. Thanks for sharing the link to your excellent FTF! We've had a couple of FTFs that were a matter of principle also. One in particular was I'll Seek a Readier Path but that quest was not as beautiful as yours.

- T of TandS

I have a few. I don't keep track. The FTF hunt doesn't really blow my skirt up, but it's nice to get one every now and then.

I'm not gonna roll outta bed at 4am, or sprint from my car to the coords for one though.

If I ever end up with a FTF it would be a total fluke. Roll out of bed early to get a cache...yeah right...not even if the first to find prize was donuts and hot coffee.