Motorcycle mounting 60csx

SparkyInCali

I was looking to mount my 60csx on my motorcycle and was wondering if anyone has used the garmin bicycle mount for this?I was mostly intersted in how tightly this actually holds the unit.I was also looking at the ram mounts.The ram looks like it may hold it more securely.The mounting is not an issue just want to make sure the bracket holds tightly enough.

I was looking to mount my 60csx on my motorcycle and was wondering if anyone has used the garmin bicycle mount for this?I was mostly intersted in how tightly this actually holds the unit.I was also looking at the ram mounts.The ram looks like it may hold it more securely.The mounting is not an issue just want to make sure the bracket holds tightly enough.

I used a bicycle mount modified slightly to give some flexability to it and it worked fine on bmw gs--the garmin mount fits the 60cs snugly and never let go in over 25000 miles and I was on some mean roads--good luck--twisty

I just mounted mine to my Road King with the garmin mount. Seems to be holding ok, I was however nervous about the unit popping out of the mount. I may put a rubber band around the bottom of the unit just to be on the safe side. I do have the unit wired to the bike so I can keep the backlighting on at all times, so maybe if it did pop out of the mount the power cord would help hold it before it hits the ground.

Rich

I just mounted mine to my Road King with the garmin mount. Seems to be holding ok, I was however nervous about the unit popping out of the mount. I may put a rubber band around the bottom of the unit just to be on the safe side. I do have the unit wired to the bike so I can keep the backlighting on at all times, so maybe if it did pop out of the mount the power cord would help hold it before it hits the ground.

Rich

I am using the Ram mount for my 60CX on a Road King. The unit is not going to fall out, I used it on a 2500 mile trip this summer and using it locally around the area for about 1000 miles and never had an issue with it falling off.

I agree aout the RAM mounts. I use it on my wing with my 60CS and never had a problem.

Someone will mention that the RAM mount is tougher to get the unit in and out of, but it is simple enough and not difficult at all with just one hand.

can you give the part # for the RAM mount? want to make sure i get the right one...plus...we should get the car charger 12V thing too right?...if we want to save battery

Well so far I am very happy with the garmin mount.Vibrations dont seem too bad.I dont have mine wired up to power yet thats one thing I love about the garmin screen is that it is very easy to use in direct sunlight.THe mount holds it very firlmy have ridden it over a few pretty bumpy roads at speeds and also stayed in place nicely after a few wheelies.I will probably run some power to it now as it will be seeing daily use.I found its easier to use the navigation diresctions page than the map page since you arent going to hear beeps on the motorcycle and the map page doesnt have a distance till turn reading

Thanks Twisty.

I just went down to rei and bought one and am suprised by how firlmy it holds in.You said you modified it slightly for flrexibilty.What did you do and why? Doesnt seem like it will really need modification but never hurts to knwo more

Well I had a bmw gs--I needed to attach a flat bracket off the mirror mount so I actuall cut the mount to make it mount flat on the metal and put rubber between the pieces for a bit of flex--I know the ram mount is good but $$$ and this worked very good--twisty

I use a ram mount on my quad, it gets some really rough riding and some good speeds. I've never worried about it falling out, it's in solid and doesn't even cross my mind. I do feel a little vibration in the bars but the GPS doesn't vibrate at all. When I use it with a windshield mount, all I have to do is loosen the center adapter screw and tighten it on the windshield mount. It is safe worry free driving.

I can vouch for the RAM mount too. I've been using one to mount a Magellan Meridian to the bars of my '93 BMW R100GS for about three years without one problem. It doesn't have the possible vibrations of a bike like Rich720's Road King, but I've been down plenty of bumpy fire roads. Even a minor unplanned get-off didn't knock the RAM loose.

25945_1600.JPG

25945_1700.JPG

As a by-the-way: One thing you might want to consider when mounting a GPSr to a motorcycle is to hook the unit up to the bike's power supply. As stable as any GPSr/mount/bike combination can be, even the smallest vibration can cause any GPSr to momentarily loose battery contact and lock up or crash, when the unit is on internal power. It's usually nothing major, but it can be annoying when if/when it happens. I can count on one hand how many times my GPSr has locked up, and it's only happened when it was running on internal batteries. This has been discussed in detail on the Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forums, particularly in their GPS topic forum, 'Layin' down tracks'.

Hope this helps!

- Kewaneh

what is the difference between the

Garmin GPSMAP 60 Series Auto Mount Mfr. P/N: 010-10456-00

GPSMAP 60 Series Suction Mount Mfr. P/N: 010-10457-00

and a RAM mount?

i want to get one for the car, and that can carry from one car to another...i dont want one that can only stay in one car...which product do i purchase for this? please give me the model # and the SKU if possible....i heard RAM is stronger or something like that...i want to get feedback before i buy one...and i also need something like cigarette lighter cable so i do not have to waste battery while inside of a car...which one do i get?

it is for my gps 60CSX model...

is it this one: Mfr. P/N: 010-10085-00: 4 Pin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable

thanks for all who read