Expand GeoWoodstock?

KnifeMaker

Since GeoWoodstock has become the premier Geocaching event in the U.S. I have read several posts from people who wish it was closer to them so they could attend without extensive travel or expense. This is especially true for those on the west coast as most of the GeoWoodstock events so far have been in the eastern part of the U.S.

As the popularity of the events grows maybe it should be a consideration to have two events, GeoWoodstock East and GeoWoodstock West. Many other annual events have adopted this idea as their popularity grew in order to make it available to more people across the country.

One person set up Geowoodstock and it is now in the hands of a select few who have a good idea as to how they want to put it on. This select few would probably not be interested in having two events because they would quickly lose control of this premiere event. The Midwest Geobash has grown to be almost as big as Geowoodstock and I would think that folks from the west coast might want to start a western region caching event that could eventually become as big as the fore mentioned events. In order for it to grow, someone has to have the vision and put it to motion.

I sugggested GeoWoodstock simply because they have held successful large scale events for 4 years now and I am sure they have learned a few things along the way. My thinking was that under thier guidance or at least following their format is better than re-inventing the wheel.

I am not familiar with the Midwest Geobash.

Either way, I think replicating a successful well-known event would have better results than a new one.

Um... so have the people in charge of selecting where geowoodstock will be each year said that it couldn't be on the west coast? :antenna:

If you want to it on the west coast, when the time comes around agan why not get a group together and submit a bid? That way even if you don't get it, use the plan you create just pick a different date and do your own Big Frickin Event, right?

Since GeoWoodstock has become the premier Geocaching event in the U.S. I have read several posts from people who wish it was closer to them so they could attend without extensive travel or expense. This is especially true for those on the west coast as most of the GeoWoodstock events so far have been in the eastern part of the U.S.

As the popularity of the events grows maybe it should be a consideration to have two events, GeoWoodstock East and GeoWoodstock West. Many other annual events have adopted this idea as their popularity grew in order to make it available to more people across the country.

Why do you care you are from Louisville, KY. You have been pretty centrally located to all the Woodstocks to this point. TN, FL, TX and now NC!

Edit: Not to mention, the first in Louisville, KY!

Edited by abnduo&spawn

Why do you care you are from Louisville, KY. You have been pretty centrally located to all the Woodstocks to this point. TN, FL, TX and now NC

I didn't intend to open a can of worms here, it was just a suggestion that I thought might be worth condsidering to make the event available to more people. Yes, I have been centrally located to the past events but I do care that a lot of people who might have wanted to attend could not because a cross country trip may have been too expensive or too time consuming.

There is no location that is going to be convenient for everybody and that's what prompted my original post.

I also like to attend car shows and one of the biggest, the Street Rod Nationals has done exactly the same thing. They have the Street Rod Nationals East here in Louisville every year and attract 10,000 cars from this side of the country and then have the Street Rod Nationals West on the west coast.

I was just curious, not being critical. You do have a point! I wasn't invovled with North Carolina's bid, but the way I understand it the bid process is open to everyone and then Groundspeak chooses the best bid. Maybe there have been bids from further west, but not chosen for some criterion we mere cachers are not aware of!

Edit: How did this get in here twice?? Weird!!

Edited by abnduo&spawn

I was just curious, not being critical. You do have a point! I wasn't invovled with North Carolina's bid, but the way I understand it the bid process is open to everyone and then Groundspeak chooses the best bid. Maybe there have been bids from further west, but not chosen for some criterion we mere cachers are not aware of! :antenna:

Groundspeak chooses the best bid
Nope. The location is chosen by a committee consisting of JoGS, the founder of GeoWoodstock, and delegates from the past two cities that hosted the event.

I think an event out west would be good ~ something with a west coast flare. Beaches or some such. :antenna:

Groundspeak chooses the best bid
Nope. The location is chosen by a committee consisting of JoGS, the founder of GeoWoodstock, and delegates from the past two cities that hosted the event.

I think an event out west would be good ~ something with a west coast flare. Beaches or some such. :antenna:

Oh... :antenna: well see that shows you how much I know!! :antenna:

The best bid wins the right to host it - no matter where in North America that may be.

Isn't this a worldwide event? What about a European host in the future. Would that be considered?

Jamie

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Jo said the only way Europe (and other locations) would be considered is if the majority of those attending were from that country/area.

The best bid wins the right to host it - no matter where in North America that may be.

Isn't this a worldwide event? What about a European host in the future. Would that be considered?

Jamie

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Jo said the only way Europe (and other locations) would be considered is if the majority of those attending were from that country/area.

Two different events in the US in the same year don’t plan for that to happen.

One in the US and one in UK yep we have talked about it, but that is all, just talked about it , no plans at this time

It is not an east coast west coast thing, its what area can do the best job for those attending, I personally wanted the west coast for 2007, NC did the best job of convincing the committee, and myself that it should be there. In Ca they are already working on the proposal for 2008, what are ya’ll doing

Hope that helps

Joe

Edited by JoGPS

And I would have to agree with FF, I'd love to travel to the west coast too. Maybe this thread will convince someone from out there to put in a bid for GeoWoodstockVI :)

Actually, I was part of a group that intended to put a bid in for 2007 here in the San Diego area. The only reason I couldn't place the proposal myself was the fact that I didn't meet the requirement of having attended a previous GW. (I'll fix that for 2008!)

In the mean time, our local Temecula Valley Geocaching Event is in it's third year. Last year we had over 300 attendies, so I am sure we will hit the Mega level this year. In addition, plans fell through for the national coin event that was going to be in Vegas, so we are hosting that as well.

The events are planned for the weekend of Feb 17th, 2007. The coin event will be Saturday, the Mega event will be Sunday. Two different locations, but in the same area.

If you are interested, Ontario airport in Southern CA is about 50 minues away, and is the easiest airport to get in and out of, and is usually the cheapest as well.

With this experience, and if I can get to GW V in 2007, then expect a proposal for GW 2008!

Do a search on this, somewhere in here was a long discussion about Geowoodstock and as I recall it boiled down to the founders and organizers are in the south/east and that is where they plan to keep it. Anyone can put in a bid, but it didn't sound likely that anyone on the west had a chance as they did not want to give up ownership of the event. It is their event, that's fine, but then don't bother taking bids from areas that you aren't willing to have it.

I think the best thing to do would be start a new event for the western region as I think Geowoodstock is a case closed kinda thing.

Do a search on this, somewhere in here was a long discussion about Geowoodstock and as I recall it boiled down to the founders and organizers are in the south/east and that is where they plan to keep it. Anyone can put in a bid, but it didn't sound likely that anyone on the west had a chance as they did not want to give up ownership of the event. It is their event, that's fine, but then don't bother taking bids from areas that you aren't willing to have it.

I think the best thing to do would be start a new event for the western region as I think Geowoodstock is a case closed kinda thing.

You are so wrong it is funny, if you had done a search, myself or the committee for Geowoodstock has never said that, its folks just making stuff up for lack of something to do like you

Joe

That may be the most misguided, mis-informed post ever! <_< What it *actually* boils down to is the best bid wins the right to host the event.

Hmmm, I'm not making anything up, I remember the thread, though I will say I don't remember who said it, but it went on forever. One can also see how people, including myself have come up with that conclusion when all of the GW events have been south and east, that is not an assumption it is a fact.

I'm really glad to hear that you guys are willing to come to the west, that's great!

Edit to note that I never said that the heads came out and said this, I should have said someone else did. While it may not be true at all, it certainly is slanted to the east, there is no denying that. Maybe we out here on the west coast just can't come up with a good enough proposal, though I doubt that. So, my advice still stands, make another event so people on the west have a better shot at getting to go.

Edited by Hula Bum
make another event so people on the west have a better shot at getting to go.

Put it together! No one is stopping you! :D Sounds like the Temecula event could reach Mega status.

Indeed we should! Barring any unforseen problems, we should easily hit the mark.

Also, it should be noted that 9Key and myself had several dialogs about our potential bid for the next GW event. He was very encouraging about us getting our bid in. Unfortunately, I had to rely on someone else to get the bid submitted since I had not attended a GW event before. (That is a requirement to host.)

Anyway, if I can't make next years GW event, I have several people that have, and with the experience of our event this year, I think we will have a decent shot at being in the running for GW VI.

Only time will tell...

I sugggested GeoWoodstock simply because they have held successful large scale events for 4 years now and I am sure they have learned a few things along the way. My thinking was that under thier guidance or at least following their format is better than re-inventing the wheel.

I am not familiar with the Midwest Geobash.

Either way, I think replicating a successful well-known event would have better results than a new one.

This thread sure did go sideways.

You could certainly plan a huge event in your area. Of course, you should be prepared for what that entails. You should get a team together of interested people and go for it. While you are planning, get in touch with Joe and some of the other people who have hosted huge events. I'm sure they will be willing to give you some tips.

And I would have to agree with FF, I'd love to travel to the west coast too. Maybe this thread will convince someone from out there to put in a bid for GeoWoodstockVI :laughing:

I know of 2 groups on the wast coast that put in I bid for GW4. As you know neather one was picked to host. I am sure that they will try again, however.

Richard of the GeoCrickets

And I would have to agree with FF, I'd love to travel to the west coast too. Maybe this thread will convince someone from out there to put in a bid for GeoWoodstockVI :laughing:

I know of 2 groups on the wast coast that put in I bid for GW4. As you know neather one was picked to host. I am sure that they will try again, however.

Richard of the GeoCrickets

Only ONE group on the wast coast put in I bid for GW4

Were do ya'll come up with this misinformation

Joe

Pssst-it's spelled Raleigh NC and it is the state capital. :blink: Your geography teacher wouldn't be proud. :laughing:

We're thrilled to be hosting the upcoming event, and are working hard to ensure it is a memorable one. My recollection of any previous discussions indicated that the most important criteria was that you had to attend at least one prior geowoodstock in order to submit a bid. I've been to three, and most of our committee has been to the past two. FWIW-over here we think Texas is in the west, isn't it? :) I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

I hope lots of CA based cachers do come to our event, and put in quality bids to host the next one. Heck, I enjoy traveling to geoevents so much I'll be happy to come anywhere that is hosting it. And I think the PNW folks who host and attend Champeog (sp?) would be a bit offended to hear that there aren't any major events on the west coast! :)

I think one Geowoodstock per year is enough for now. I also like the fact that the other mega-events are in the same general location every year. Different traditions for different events is a good thing!

Edited by wimseyguy