WAS IT OR WASN'T IT

GIDEON-X

I apparently misread your post. Sorry.

I don't see what harm could result in my attitude of explaining the meaning of "dead nuts" to the cache owner while still volunteering to change the log if they insist, but that's alright.

I'd expect a response along the lines of "Thank you. We were unaware of that particular phrase, as it was unfamiliar to us." and then either "Go ahead and leave your log" or "However, we are still not very confortable with 'nuts' so could you please change your log, as you've graciously volunteered to do?"

I highly doubt they'd go ballistic or delete my log over my attempt to inform them. More than likely it would result in the whole world holding hands, dancing, and singing "We Are The World" together....although probably slightly off-key, which would be kindof a downer, I guess.

I missed where you would volunteer to change your post. My apologies.

Reminds me of someone who got all righteously indignant because she saw a bumper sticker that said "I hunt Black and Tans", and

A. failed to see that the word Black wasn't plural

B. wasn't aware that there's such a thing as a Black and Tan Coonhound

C. didn't know that in the South "I hunt Beagles" or "I hunt Redbones" " I hunt Blueticks" or "I hunt Cur Dogs" means "I go hunting with Beagles/Redbone Coonhounds/Bluetick Coonhounds/Curs"...

and therefore jumped to the conclusion that the bumper sticker was a horrible racist joke about people with dark skin. :rolleyes:

Which was silly enough in and of itself, but then she tried to enlist members of a dog group I was on to boycott the company that sold the bumper stickers (for a whole bunch of breeds) even AFTER we all told her she was way off base... :anitongue:

D. might not have known that a "Black & Tan" is half Bass Ale & Half Guinness (with the Guinness floating on top, if it's done right).

*I'm veering dangerously close to off-topic*

just check out the pope's words, what HE meant with it, and the revolte he caused in the islamic world..

heck, dont get upset too much by things said in any way.. except for when its REALLY offensive.. even then: if you DO get offended, you are just acting in the offenders way and therefore, give him right..

my .02$

D. might not have known that a "Black & Tan" is half Bass Ale & Half Guinness (with the Guinness floating on top, if it's done right).

Stop, you're making me thirsty.

And she'd never heard of THAT sort of Black & Tan, either. Nor any of the several other legitimate definitions.... nor, apparently, of using Google. :antenna:

People need to just lighten up. Over the last 10 years here in the States, our society has become rather polarized, giving anyone an excuse to whine (or be offended) by just about anything. Usually people with an IQ larger than their hat size can correctly interpert when something said innocently as an expression and when something is said hatefully. The thinskins have simply allowed a victim mentality to over-ride common sense. The explosion of the internet has further allowed a sense of anonymity that emboldens people to be not only more forward, but more coarse and over-sensitive.

I tend to ignore such whiny-butts, denying them the attention they so desperately crave. Perhaps if they got dressed, got out of their mother's basement and experienced the world (beyond hunting micros in Wal-Mart parking lots), they'd realize how much time and effort they're wasting trying to be offended. Look at the spirit of the statement, not the letter - and realize that you too can occassionally misunderstand.

<Steps off soapbox>

And if you don't agree with me, you must be an [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted], and can [activity deleted] your sorry [expletive deleted] for the rest of your [expletive deleted] miserable [expletive deleted] life, you [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted]. [impossible contortionist activity deleted] ! :antenna:

People need to just lighten up. Over the last 10 years here in the States, our society has become rather polarized, giving anyone an excuse to whine (or be offended) by just about anything. Usually people with an IQ larger than their hat size can correctly interpert when something said innocently as an expression and when something is said hatefully. The thinskins have simply allowed a victim mentality to over-ride common sense. The explosion of the internet has further allowed a sense of anonymity that emboldens people to be not only more forward, but more coarse and over-sensitive. ...

Just out of curiousity, were you referring to the cache owner, or the originator of this thread?

People need to just lighten up. Over the last 10 years here in the States, our society has become rather polarized, giving anyone an excuse to whine (or be offended) by just about anything. Usually people with an IQ larger than their hat size can correctly interpert when something said innocently as an expression and when something is said hatefully. The thinskins have simply allowed a victim mentality to over-ride common sense. The explosion of the internet has further allowed a sense of anonymity that emboldens people to be not only more forward, but more coarse and over-sensitive.

I tend to ignore such whiny-butts, denying them the attention they so desperately crave. Perhaps if they got dressed, got out of their mother's basement and experienced the world (beyond hunting micros in Wal-Mart parking lots), they'd realize how much time and effort they're wasting trying to be offended. Look at the spirit of the statement, not the letter - and realize that you too can occassionally misunderstand.

<Steps off soapbox>

And if you don't agree with me, you must be an [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted], and can [activity deleted] your sorry [expletive deleted] for the rest of your [expletive deleted] miserable [expletive deleted] life, you [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted]. [impossible contortionist activity deleted] ! :antenna:

I didn't understand a word you said until the last paragraph. Now I get it.

We do get too sensitive at times and the internet does aggravate that. I've watched a local group fall apart when friends became too sensitive to innocent comments made in emails and posts. I like the way the OP handled the situation.

Col, I was more venting than anything else. The cache owner, a tad over sensitive imho, could have been a lot nastier. But her note was non-confrontational which is to be commended. But it was clear she had no clue as to what the expression meant. The cache finder changed his log, which was gracious on his part. I hope he sent an explanation of the phrase to the cache owner in the spirit of enlightenment.

Geocaching is a FUN pasttime. There is no reason to get worked up about an innocent log.

I would have used "Balls on" much less offensive. :antenna:

Seriously...I use a lot of acronyms, slang and old military/gov. terms. I also abbreviate a lot of things.

I recently logged a cache by saying "....great cache adding this one to my BM list."

That got the cache owners all upset...I explained that was my "bookmark" list of San Diego favorites. They never responded or apologized.

The way I look at it is it should be fun...to be fun...we all have to flex a little...if you are soooo stiff and ridged that you can not bend/flex then you should not be doing this or for that matter should not leave your house.

ROFLOL.

Thanks for the laugh.

>>Guess you'll offend some english if you say 'bullocks', or 'balls' in english. To me balls mean basketballs >>(shrugs)

You won't offend Brits by referring to BULLocks, because bullocks are cattle - specifically, young castrated males, aka steers.

I believe you mean "BALLocks", which refers to testicles.

Sorry guys but the usual spelling is bollocks - don't ask me why - aka testes, nuts or crown jewels. A similar phrase to dead nuts is "the dog's bollocks" - meaning the best or spot on.

My guess is the original cache owner thought the term dead nuts meant mad or bad co-ords. I personally wouldn't change the posting other than adding after dead nuts (perfect co-ords) to highlight the fact you were praising rather than cursing.

Sorry guys but the usual spelling is bollocks - don't ask me why - aka testes, nuts or crown jewels. A similar phrase to dead nuts is "the dog's bollocks" - meaning the best or spot on.

My guess is the original cache owner thought the term dead nuts meant mad or bad co-ords. I personally wouldn't change the posting other than adding after dead nuts (perfect co-ords) to highlight the fact you were praising rather than cursing.

My guess is that the cache owner thought that the phrase was more related to your alternative phrase than it was. The finder did the right thing to alter his log. Given that the cache owner did not request that the change be made, an email explaining the etymology of the phrase would also have been appropriate.

Just a reminder to keep the forums family friendly (and on-topic), folks.

From the Forum Guidelines linked at the top of every page:

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Thanks!

Quiggle

Well, I am a CNC machinist, and I use that term frequently in my job. As in, several times a day.

My only problem is, in all the shops I've worked in, it was said as "Dead Nut", used in a singular sense, not plural.

Are we just messed up out here on the plains, or have others heard it that way as well?

I found no offense with 'dead nut', though I didn't know what it meant. I saw no reason to conclude that it was offensive.

On the other hand, I read and hear quite a bit of language that would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap, had I used it when I was younger. Language changes, and but not always for the better. Oh, well. I guess I've become a curmudgeon.

I found no offense with 'dead nut', though I didn't know what it meant. I saw no reason to conclude that it was offensive.

On the other hand, I read and hear quite a bit of language that would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap, had I used it when I was younger. Language changes, and but not always for the better. Oh, well. I guess I've become a curmudgeon.

Dungeons have been ruled "cruel and unusual punishment". :bad:

You should not have changed the log on the basis of possibly offending someone. Your description was both technically correct, informative and accurate. If any, one including the cache owner, is offended through their ignorance, the only duty you owe them is to explain the technical origin of the term. If you felt like changing the term because it would not be widely understood by the caching community that is a different issue. Sorry, i am a bit sensitive about the use of words. As an English teacher i am sometimes told to dumb down the contents of my reports so that parents can read them. Given that I write in clear and simple terms, that my students can understand, I find it insulting to both me, and to the parents, not to use the words necessary to explain technical or other points I am trying to make. This sounded like a very similar situation.