WAS IT OR WASN'T IT

GIDEON-X

:lol: I am looking for some feedback on the following event (cache-find) that happened a couple of days ago (Sept. 22 2006)...............was it or wasn’t it...... true I’m a old guy and perhaps I’m not up on the present times / things /verbiage / etc. etc.

GIDEON-X (316) My post to the cache page.

Didn't see one "Stinking-Dove"

Well if I hadn't dawdled over the third cup of coffee this AM I'd of aced the Hawk on the FTF.......Oh well there will be another one down the road. The coords are” Right-On”....this is a Rural-Drive by (cache and dash)......no doves to be seen......just a lot of the Great White Hunter's Trash (spent shot gun shells)..

2. [This entry was edited by GIDEON-X on Friday, September 22, 2006 at 4:32:20 PM.]

3. The post was changed from saying “Dead Nuts” to “Right On” after the receiving the following Email....

Thank you for your interest in our cache, "Dove Hunters Delight".

Was put off by the "Dead Nuts" analogy. I found it offensive. Just asking you to keep things a little lighter in the future, Thanx.

The next morning I had the following Email.............

Thanx for changing the terminology on "Dove Hunter's Delight".Mrs. BroncoBuster.

Dead nuts....................................... :lol:

A phrase that is used to indicate accuracy. For example, in a machine shop, a lathe that is rotating with no deviation is said to be running "dead nuts". When a surveyor is taking a measurment with a transit or theodolite and the reading is perfect he might comment, " that's dead nuts." Target shooters who have the scopes or sights on their guns aligned properly will be shooting dead nuts if their own aim is true.

Edited by GIDEON-X

Well.... what did "dead nuts" mean to you?

Honestly, I would have read it a couple of times, shrugged my shoulders and let it alone... but that's me. :lol: I think you did right by changing it.

From Urbandictionary.com:

1. dead nuts

Completely level or plumb. A definition used in the construction trades.

After I laid the porch steps I checked them with my level and they were dead nuts!

It's always a good day when you learn something new! :lol:

I would have used "Balls on" much less offensive. :lol:

Seriously...I use a lot of acronyms, slang and old military/gov. terms. I also abbreviate a lot of things.

I recently logged a cache by saying "....great cache adding this one to my BM list."

That got the cache owners all upset...I explained that was my "bookmark" list of San Diego favorites. They never responded or apologized.

The way I look at it is it should be fun...to be fun...we all have to flex a little...if you are soooo stiff and ridged that you can not bend/flex then you should not be doing this or for that matter should not leave your house.

You have to remember that when you post to the internet you address a diverse world-wide audience, even in cache logs.

Someone somewhere is going to be offended by anything but the most bland and carefully worded... especially if they have an agenda and WANT to find issue with your words!

Therefore politically-correct speech. You have to post like you are talking to a kindergarten class.

If you do unintentionally tweak someone it's best to do as you did, modify it and move on. Sometimes, of course, folks need a little tweaking! :lol:

I have never heard that expression, but wouldn't have been offended by it, as it is not only obscure but nonsensical - it doesn't actually say anything, and therefore only has context in the local community where it was coined and is understood.

FWIW, I owned a framing crew that averaged 17 houses a year, my oldest son owns an electrical contracting company, my second oldest owns a residential remodeling and apartment maintenance company, so while I am not a carpenter I do know some, and have never heard the phrase, nor can I imagine it being used, so it's got to be a local or regional usage!

Uncommon and local colloquialisms may be offensive in ways the speaker never considered or intended.

Ed

Some people are just ignorant. Or plumb nuts? Reminds me of the time a congressman used the term 'niggardly', and was chastized by people who had no idea what the word meant, and were too lazy to use their dictionary. There was a time in this country when chairs had 'limbs' rather than 'legs'. 'Legs' being a rather risque word. And try explaining male and female electrical connections to people who blush easily!

Of course, I find a lot of the language used in these fora to be offensive. But times have changed. Words that would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap are now commonplace.

But, sometimes you have to play to the ignorant. Smile, and use another euphemism.

Guess you'll offend some english if you say 'bullocks', or 'balls' in english. To me balls mean basketballs (shrugs)

Its funny how mostly americans have twisted what used to be innocent words in dirty/nonPC words. Look at the english meaning for cigerettes & how most use it in the US.

We're becoming way too PC & so worried about offending some poor lil ....... (insert fav religion) innocent ears.

Yes, I understand there may be kiddies here (under 13), but nuts are metal rings with twists inside them. Not some body part, sheesh.

Some people are just wound way tooo tight.

Diane

part of Team Nightmare Rebels

..waiting to see who gets wound up over that one...

Edited by DiS02

And try explaining male and female electrical connections to people who blush easily!

Bwahahahahaha!!! Been there, done that - except it was computer connections. :lol:

It's even funnier when the explainER - me - is a petite female, and the easily-embarrassed explainEE - the customer - is male.

And then there was the bejeweled and beminked female customer who, when I assured her that I knew what I was talking about WRT installing hard drives, 'cos I'd just done it on my own computer, looked at me and said "But you're a girl!" (I was 37 at the time). :lol:

That time, I couldn't help myself; I took three steps back into the shop and said, in a clear, carrying voice - "Would someone with a penis please come and speak with this customer?" :huh:

Getting back to the subject at hand, though - one that irks me is the casual way Americans have taken to using the word "bugger", which to my half-Brit ears/eyes is the exact equivalent of using the word "f***er".

That time, I couldn't help myself; I took three steps back into the shop and said, in a clear, carrying voice - "Would someone with a penis please come and speak with this customer?" :lol:

I think I would have hit the floor laughing had I been there to see that!

:lol:

Getting back to the subject at hand, though - one that irks me is the casual way Americans have taken to using the word "bugger", which to my half-Brit ears/eyes is the exact equivalent of using the word "f***er".

Really? I use that term all the time, as it was never considered a "bad" word. For example, "It's a bugger of a hide", or "This bugger's a tough one" -- I see nothing wrong, impolite, or crass with either. It's certainly more polite than that other "b" word.

As far as the OP, I've never heard the term "dead nuts" used so I would have interpreted it to be more crass than it was intended, but it's not something I'd have gotten all huffy about. Certainly not worth an email.

Its funny how mostly americans have twisted what used to be innocent words in dirty/nonPC words. Look at the english meaning for cigerettes & how most use it in the US.

It goes both ways. I knew an Irish woman who used to break out laughing every time she passed a "Park 'n Ride" sign because "riding" had quite a different slang meaning back home.

I dunno....I kind of like the sound of dead nuts. Live or dead balls or nuts. Doesn't offend me at all.

And that bugger thing. Well, it's a bit like the Brits asking for some spotted dick. Kind of makes my head swivel round and eyes go all gaga.

What other quaint sayings do you have Gideon-X? I might want to add them to my vocabulary to sort of spice things up a bit.

Not offensive to me but then some people find me to be offensive, which I do not find to be offensive, to me it is a compliment. :lol:

But as has been said, there are people that look for things to find offensive, that way they can complain about them. I have found that most people that start out saying something like "I am not easily offened" to be offended by just about thing that is no PC.

Of course once some falls under the spell of the PC crap, they have lost some of the civil liberties..

So THere :lol:

>>Guess you'll offend some english if you say 'bullocks', or 'balls' in english. To me balls mean basketballs >>(shrugs)

You won't offend Brits by referring to BULLocks, because bullocks are cattle - specifically, young castrated males, aka steers.

See: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bullock

I believe you mean "BALLocks", which refers to testicles.

Possibly, I've heard it of it being spelled both ways & said both ways but referring to testies. (shrug)

My mothers father was english, dont ask me what gen though as I have no idea as he passed before I was born & she cant talk about it.

Doesnt really matter though, point still stands that words are twisted & used in fashions that werent meant to be for a long time.

Gods blood used to be considered a curse in england, no idea if it still is.

And yes, riding has different meanings to different cultures/groups/people.

But in the end its all good, carry on doing what you need to do & the rest can ship out. Heh

You have to remember that no matter what you say, someone, somewhere will be offended. Some [people live to find offense in things. I wouldn't sweat it.

Pretty well sums up the geocaching community in my experience. The forums seem to have lightened up some though. The "professional offendees" must have taken up log reading instead. :)

OP could have said "position error was 'all balls' ". NASA uses this term a lot. Means all zeros, but the "pros" will no doubt point out the sexual connotations.

>>Really? I use that term all the time, as it was never considered a "bad" word. For example, "It's a >>bugger of a hide", or "This bugger's a tough one" -- I see nothing wrong, impolite, or crass with either. >>It's certainly more polite than that other "b" word.

It's definitely NOT more polite than the other "B" word; buggery is anal intercourse, and a bugger is one who participates in said activity. So it's REALLY jarring to hear people using the word casually, especially when they refer to a child or dog as a "little bugger" when they'd never say "little f***er".

>>As far as the OP, I've never heard the term "dead nuts" used so I would have interpreted it to be more >>crass than it was intended, but it's not something I'd have gotten all huffy about. Certainly not worth an >>email.

I agree. To my reading, even though I'm not familiar with the term, the context makes it clear that it wasn't intended in the double-entendre sense of "nuts".

Reminds me of someone who got all righteously indignant because she saw a bumper sticker that said "I hunt Black and Tans", and

A. failed to see that the word Black wasn't plural

B. wasn't aware that there's such a thing as a Black and Tan Coonhound

C. didn't know that in the South "I hunt Beagles" or "I hunt Redbones" " I hunt Blueticks" or "I hunt Cur Dogs" means "I go hunting with Beagles/Redbone Coonhounds/Bluetick Coonhounds/Curs"...

and therefore jumped to the conclusion that the bumper sticker was a horrible racist joke about people with dark skin. :)

Which was silly enough in and of itself, but then she tried to enlist members of a dog group I was on to boycott the company that sold the bumper stickers (for a whole bunch of breeds) even AFTER we all told her she was way off base... :rolleyes:

And try explaining male and female electrical connections to people who blush easily!

Bwahahahahaha!!! Been there, done that - except it was computer connections. :)

It's even funnier when the explainER - me - is a petite female, and the easily-embarrassed explainEE - the customer - is male.

And then there was the bejeweled and beminked female customer who, when I assured her that I knew what I was talking about WRT installing hard drives, 'cos I'd just done it on my own computer, looked at me and said "But you're a girl!" (I was 37 at the time). :rolleyes:

That time, I couldn't help myself; I took three steps back into the shop and said, in a clear, carrying voice - "Would someone with a penis please come and speak with this customer?" :rolleyes:

OK....now the Brit. card has been played...

The meaning of the word "bugger" is "sodomy" or one that does that...

However comma all of the full blooded Brits that I know use it in about the same way that we do...

Full Brit. Example

I'm with Isonzo. I have never heard the term before (and I have probably heard most of them in my profession) but would assume it meant the coordinates were off. I know my father-in-law who is a very Christian man uses a lot of terms that would cause him to die of embarressment if he new their origins.

I'm with Isonzo. I have never heard the term before (and I have probably heard most of them in my profession) but would assume it meant the coordinates were off. I know my father-in-law who is a very Christian man uses a lot of terms that would cause him to die of embarressment if he new their origins.

Language evolves over time, of course, and what was unacceptable is now commonplace. Some of us with more sensitive moral sensibilities (for better or for worse) have been dragged into it kicking and screaming.

Consider the classic example of the word "gay". It was an interesting time for me growing up in the 80's and even sometimes still, because there are still (generally elder) people around who use "gay" to mean happy. The Flintstones theme song is a good example. We used to giggle whenever we heard that unintentional double-meaning. ("I'm feeling quite gay this morning")

(And don't get me started on the girls in my 7th grade French class, who could not get over the fact that potato chips are called "croustilles" -- which they kept pronouncing as "crusties" :) )

I'm not sure exactly how or when the use of the word "sucks" became synonymous with malcontent ("That sucks!") but I know that for a number of years I was offended, at least slightly, and refused to use it in my own speech. Now I've caught myself using it a couple of times on occasion, mostly when talking to people younger than 16, and it still doesn't quite roll smoothly off my tongue. Eh.

Edited by GreyingJay

I've definitely heard of the "dead nuts" saying, although I don't know if I've ever used it. I believe it's typically used when talking about sighting or targeting rifles and bows.

In fact, if you do a search on "Dead nuts" in google, you get several resutls pertaining to this.

The point is, I'm not offended and knew exactly what the log meant. Seriously, I don't think people should be offended by the word "nut" and just jump to the conclusion that "dead nuts" is some derogatory or perverted remark that refers to the other kind of nuts.

Literally 10 seconds of research to type "dead nuts" into Google would have shown them it's not an offensive term.

Probably not important enough to quibble over, but I'm always up for educating people.

Edited by ThePropers

I've only heard the expression as 'dead nuts on', although I have no idea what the etymology of the phrase is.

Certainly, we can all understand how someone might possibly be offended by 'dead nuts'. I don't have a problem with the cache owner's polite email and I think you did the right thing in rewriting your log.

Dead nuts....................................... :rolleyes:

A phrase that is used to indicate accuracy. For example, in a machine shop, a lathe that is rotating with no deviation is said to be running "dead nuts". When a surveyor is taking a measurment with a transit or theodolite and the reading is perfect he might comment, " that's dead nuts." Target shooters who have the scopes or sights on their guns aligned properly will be shooting dead nuts if their own aim is true.

Well now that I know what it means, it doesn't sound offensive at all. :)

NOT offensive to this part of Pennsylvania. That phrase is used quite often around here. It's understood that some may have never heard the phrase. Keeping that in mind, I think it wise to consider your audience. I am a male child born out of wedlock that often takes walks with my female dog. I would never call myself a *astard that walks with a #itch. But that statement is dead *uts on. :)

Certainly, we can all understand how someone might possibly be offended by 'dead nuts'. I don't have a problem with the cache owner's polite email and I think you did the right thing in rewriting your log.

I don't think so, as you just rewarded ignorance. I think you should have responded with the definition of "dead nuts" (using several web sites/dictionaries to back it up) and then volunteer to rewrite your log if they still are offended by the non-offensive and perfectly acceptable term "dead nuts"

If so, then I would have changed it. I probably would have changed it to say "Deceased Acorns*" with a footnote explaining what Deceased Acorns means just to be a smarta** though.

This reminds me of The Man Show where they were getting women to sign a petition to stop Women's Suffrage.

Edited by ThePropers
I don't think so, as you just rewarded ignorance. I think you should have responded with the definition of "dead nuts" (using several web sites/dictionaries to back it up) and then volunteer to rewrite your log if they still are offended by the non-offensive and perfectly acceptable term "dead nuts"

If so, then I would have changed it. I probably would have changed it to say "Deceased Acorns*" with a footnote explaining what Deceased Acorns means just to be a smarta** though.

This reminds me of The Man Show where they were getting women to sign a petition to stop Women's Suffrage.

I don't see a problem with considerring my audience. There are many things that I would say in front of my friends that I would not say in a business meeting or to your grandmother.

Also, it should be understood that perception is reality, in this case. The comment was rude because it was perceived as such. Refusing to make the simple change when politely asked to merely serves to cause bad feelings and likely get the log deleted.

Everyone has such thin skin these days. Seems like it would be miserable walking around being offended by such trivial things. "Don't sweat the small stuff" the saying goes.

I wonder who had the thinner skin, in this case; the cache owner who sent a polite email regarding the issue and a friendly follow-up email, or the finder who brought the issue to the forums.

Also, it should be understood that perception is reality, in this case. The comment was rude because it was perceived as such. Refusing to make the simple change when politely asked to merely serves to cause bad

No, the comment was not rude....it was misinterpreted as being rude because of the cache owner's ignorance regarding the "dead nuts" saying and jumping to a (IMO) completely ridiculous assumption.

This is exactly why I would choose to educate them (rather than let them remain ignorant) on what "dead nuts" means and still offer to change the log if they are still offended by it. At the very least you have educated someone while not being rude about it and still stood up for how ridiculous PC has become that you can't even say "nuts" without someone being offended.

I guess my feeling is why should I pussyfoot around my logs and read them 10 times to make sure I didn't include something that might be misconstrued as being offensive to someone somewhere. Yeah, that's right...I said "pussyfoot"

Like I said previously, this incident is nothing to get all worked up about, but I would simply have chosen to handle it differently.

Edited by ThePropers

Dead Nuts are adjustable nuts you put on frameing square that allow you to copy an angle correctly to another area, kind of like a quick template. they look like hex nuts that clamp onto the square. it has no assosiation with human anatomy. If you go to a real tool shop (not home D****) and tell them you need dead nuts for your square they will know what you're talking about. So someone will ask you "How did you copy that cut you needed for that joist." you can say "I used dead nuts," therefore you would be dead nuts accurate. If people are offended they should at least know what they are offended about. Why don't people complain about the Grand Tetones....now THATS offensive

Also, it should be understood that perception is reality, in this case. The comment was rude because it was perceived as such. Refusing to make the simple change when politely asked to merely serves to cause bad

No, the comment was not rude....it was misinterpreted as being rude because of the cache owner's ignorance regarding the "dead nuts" saying and jumping to a (IMO) completely ridiculous assumption. ...

Did you even read the section of my post that you quoted?

Either way, your attitude would cause more harm than it's worth, in my opinion.

No, the comment was not rude....it was misinterpreted as being rude because of the cache owner's ignorance regarding the "dead nuts" saying and jumping to a (IMO) completely ridiculous assumption.

This is exactly why I would choose to educate them (rather than let them remain ignorant) on what "dead nuts" means and still offer to change the log if they are still offended by it. At the very least you have educated someone while not being rude about it and still stood up for how ridiculous PC has become that you can't even say "nuts" without someone being offended.

I guess my feeling is why should I pussyfoot around my logs and read them 10 times to make sure I didn't include something that might be misconstrued as being offensive to someone somewhere. Yeah, that's right...I said "pussyfoot"

Like I said previously, this incident is nothing to get all worked up about, but I would simply have chosen to handle it differently.

Yes, I agree. The OP was not being rude at all, but the cache owner, for some reason, not only misunderstood the use of the term "dead nuts", but also grossly over-reacted based upon their own misunderstanding. However, my advice (offered only because you asked...) for the OP is this: I would have responded by explaining what the term means, and sending the cache owner a link to an online dictionary entry showing the word. You did not choose to do that, and that too is okay. It is now over with. Why not let go of the entire incident and move on?

No, the comment was not rude....it was misinterpreted as being rude because of the cache owner's ignorance regarding the "dead nuts" saying and jumping to a (IMO) completely ridiculous assumption. ...

Did you even read the section of my post that you quoted?

Either way, your attitude would cause more harm than it's worth, in my opinion.

I apparently misread your post. Sorry.

I don't see what harm could result in my attitude of explaining the meaning of "dead nuts" to the cache owner while still volunteering to change the log if they insist, but that's alright.

I'd expect a response along the lines of "Thank you. We were unaware of that particular phrase, as it was unfamiliar to us." and then either "Go ahead and leave your log" or "However, we are still not very confortable with 'nuts' so could you please change your log, as you've graciously volunteered to do?"

I highly doubt they'd go ballistic or delete my log over my attempt to inform them. More than likely it would result in the whole world holding hands, dancing, and singing "We Are The World" together....although probably slightly off-key, which would be kindof a downer, I guess.