short people

fatboy52

Have any one else have problems with a cache because you are short?the other day i had to be like Mgyver and lashed two sticks together with electrical wire i found to reach a cache. but it was still fun.any one else have similur expieriance? :lol:

Often! If I (the short crab, at 5'1'') am alone, I'll either have to improvise with whatever is at hand, or take a DNF until I can return with reinforcements. If both of us are out together, we sometimes use what another cacher referred to as the "Tower-O-Crabs" method when she saw us employing it: short crab sitting up on taller crab's shoulders.

Have any one else have problems with a cache because you are short?

Yep.

I'm four feet, eleven and three-quarters inches tall (so says the chart from my last physical, anyways :lol: ), and have been to a couple of caches that were impossible for me to reach because they were either too high or too deep. In one case, I e-mailed the owner and was told I could count it as a find.

There's also a local one that involves lifting a sleeve off of a 5' tall post, which I'm not going to do because if I drop the dadgum thing & break it, I'll be destroying private property (it's on the parking lot of a convenience store), plus I'm not sure I can get it back on once it's off.

I don't consider myself to be short, though my son loves to rest his elbow on my head to emphasize his hieght superiority. i find carrying my trekking pole comes in very handy when I am trying to access those caches out of my reach.

The trekking pole might be useful in teaching your son the inadvisability of mocking a short person by exposing a sensitive armpit to them... :-)

Poke, poke!

DconBlueZ

On the flip side, some of us aren't designed to reach the low areas. I don't bend well. Out of shape, with pretty bad knees. I sometimes joke that if I go down to ground level, the only way I'll get back up is to crawl to a piece of furniture. I do just fine getting stuff off the top shelf. My wife, who though not short is certainly one heck of a lot bendier than me, is in charge of the "squatty work", like getting that blasted toaster off the bottom shelf.

On the flip side, some of us aren't designed to reach the low areas. I don't bend well. Out of shape, with pretty bad knees. I sometimes joke that if I go down to ground level, the only way I'll get back up is to crawl to a piece of furniture. I do just fine getting stuff off the top shelf. My wife, who though not short is certainly one heck of a lot bendier than me, is in charge of the "squatty work", like getting that blasted toaster off the bottom shelf.

With you on that! I dont know what happened, but since I started caching....my right knee "gives out" when I have to squat for a cache. THen I fall over of course, and scream bloody mercy till I am brave enough to "pop" the knee back in place. THe most embarrasing by far was at a gas station, LOADS of people, I pull up to the cache hidden under a air pump...tell my kiddos this will only be a sec.....and proceed to fall on the ground with knee cramp, cache in hand.

One of my first caches was meant to be difficult. Middle of a packed parking lot, about ( I am SO bad at feet!) 25 feet up on a lamp post. Thinking, how can I do this and not draw attention.....I back my Excursion up to the pylon. My tallest kid gets on top and just reaches the cache. Log signed and cache replaced. That was a year ago....cache is still there.

I'm around 5'3" on a good day. There have been plenty of times that I've been out and can't reach a cache. Thankfully someone is usually with me. I've had to lift up the girls to reach before. And if we are lucky, the hubby is with us and he can reach and climb for us.

Shoot, I encounter the same problem at the store. I have to lift up a kid to get products off the top shelf if there aren't any in the front. :)

I'm 6 foot but wife is 5' 1". I like to keep the important stuff on the top shelves so she has to keep me around. As long as nobody taller than me comes a courtin she has to keep me.

As far as caching if it is very high or very low I send the 11 yo after it. Climbing and crawling is her specialty.

sometimes I cache or hike with my gf who is short, and she fits right under all the spider webs across the trail, so even if I convince her to walk in front, I still get the spider webs in the face. :rolleyes:

not all bad being short.

Definitely not; in addition to (sometimes) getting to miss spider webs - my experience is that they're often right at the level of my head :) ** - I can fit through & under small spaces.

**I LIKE spiders. I do not, however, care to have them stuck to my hair or falling down my shirt.

I'm around 5'3" on a good day. There have been plenty of times that I've been out and can't reach a cache. Thankfully someone is usually with me. I've had to lift up the girls to reach before. And if we are lucky, the hubby is with us and he can reach and climb for us.

My S.O. is around 6', and also caches, so I DO plan to revisit a couple of the ones I couldn't reach with him. I intened to let him figure out the hide spots for himself, though. :rolleyes:

Shoot, I encounter the same problem at the store. I have to lift up a kid to get products off the top shelf if there aren't any in the front. :)

Heh. Me, I usually just climb the shelves. My take on it is that if they don't want me doing it, then they ought to provide grabby-sticks (I have NO idea what the correct name for the things is) along with the shopping cats.

Shoot, I encounter the same problem at the store. I have to lift up a kid to get products off the top shelf if there aren't any in the front. :bad:

Heh. Me, I usually just climb the shelves. My take on it is that if they don't want me doing it, then they ought to provide grabby-sticks (I have NO idea what the correct name for the things is) along with the shopping cats.

Grabby sticks would be an excellent idea, but I have never seen then anywhere.

Hey, I see you are from Towson. I went to TU when it was still TSU and hubby works for the big power tool company that is headquartered there.

Grabby sticks would be an excellent idea, but I have never seen then anywhere.

I suspect it's never occurred to stores to provide them... hmm, I wonder how I could get a campaign started? I'm only half-kidding, btw - me, I can climb shelves, but there are a lot of elderly and disabled who can't.

Hey, I see you are from Towson. I went to TU when it was still TSU and hubby works for the big power tool company that is headquartered there.

Small world, innit? :bad: I've lived less than a mile from the university for the last 20-odd years.... which I continue to think of it as "Towson State"; the habit's too long engrained.

Have any one else have problems with a cache because you are short?the other day i had to be like Mgyver and lashed two sticks together with electrical wire i found to reach a cache. but it was still fun.any one else have similur expieriance? :D

you shorties should have been eating your soups! :D

Edited by terrible2u

I'm 6'2" but I apply a certain height standard when placing a cache. There is a prominent local hider who is in the low 5' range and I always think about making sure she can reach that cache. As I placed my last hide I realized it was a comfortable reach for me and I was thinking of modifying the cache to accomodate her. Then it dawned on me that she was the one who hid the nearby cache 12 - 14' up a pole, making us ALL reach new heights. I felt no more remorse.