I won't release any more geocoins

az_pistolero

I recently purchased an 'unactivated' coin on that 'auction' site. When I went to activate it, I found out it was owned by someone else. First I contacted the seller and got my money back. Then I contacted the real owner to tell her I have her coin - it appears she no longer wants anything to do with caching. We plan on releasing the coin within the next few days in a cache where it belongs. We started obsessively collecting coins in August - has anyone else purchased cons that were already activated by someone else?

You got your money back AND kept the coin? The owner dropped out and you didn't repay the seller or return the coin?

And the seller's a cheat? :antenna:

Ed

I recently purchased an 'unactivated' coin on that 'auction' site. When I went to activate it, I found out it was owned by someone else. First I contacted the seller and got my money back. Then I contacted the real owner to tell her I have her coin - it appears she no longer wants anything to do with caching. We plan on releasing the coin within the next few days in a cache where it belongs. We started obsessively collecting coins in August - has anyone else purchased cons that were already activated by someone else?

You got your money back AND kept the coin? The owner dropped out and you didn't repay the seller or return the coin?

And the seller's a cheat? :antenna:

Ed

Considering the coin wasn't the actual property of the person selling it on ebay, there is nothing unethical about that. Returning the coin back into caches for further travels means that the buyer, who got their money back, isn't benefitting from it either.

Ebay con-man caught, money and geocoin returned back to where they belong. It seems like the best possible outcome except the fact that someone has left the sport geocaching.

It does make a difference on the west coast at least, we've had a lot fewer stolen now that we've started "adding baggage".

I agree, I think we need to take lessons from the europeans, they seem to have a higher since of ethics about these things.

You got that right, on both counts!

I still can't bring myself to drill a hole in a geocoin, although the ones that have been designed with holes are great, and if we ever do a PC, we'll design a hole in it as part of the deal. What we've been doing is putting a little note in each coin bag that says that the coin is meant to move, and is not swag. So far, they are doing very well. Only one GC-trackable geocoin of ours is in limbo at the moment. I don't think that folks Out West are more "mannered" than elsewhere in the US; what it is, I think, is that we're lucky to have a large number of cachers who are active geocoin icon collectors: they spread the word quickly, and help educate new cachers about this aspect of our game. There are a number of local caches that are designed for geocoin trading, and just about everyone, even newbies, seems to know that they are not to be messed-around-with. Granted, all it takes is one bad apple, but it is also true that if every cacher in a particular area keeps a protective eye not only on their own, but on other cacher's, stuff, then the incidents of malfeasance drop significantly. And as much as some folks don't like the idea, there is no better to share the fun of, and teach proper etiquette about, geocoins, than to being a bunch to a geo-gathering, and let anyone who wants to discover them. IMHO, there is no difference between a discovery at a picnic or pizza bash, and someone moving a coin from one cache to another. If they are getting something positive out of it, especially if they are new and are learning how to do it, then I have no complaints.

I'm just hoping that this works. I drilled a hole for the keyring, and a smaller hole on the other side. I hope word gets around that drilled holes are not part of the "original" coin, and if seen in hand or discovered, the viewing cacher reports it quickly.

I put a bright red "DO NOT KEEP! This is no ordinary geocaching trade item!" on my tags, and they still go missing. I guess I need to get tougher wording.

Let us know how your works.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Some days you can't win.......

I am in an argument in the local forums with a fellow that claims my activated coin is his to keep. He feels that as soon as I release it, regardless of if I activate it with a mission, I have given it up and it is his.

Sadly, he also thinks I am sucking the fun out of the hobby for him by mentioning that he has had it for just under 12 months and that he should move it.

Sorry about your signal coins. oh dear - what can i say that is new? What goes around comes around - I hope you find some new ones soon in a cache :antenna: If you see any balloon racer coins in the near future please help them along!

As regards ebay - your common signal coins are not on ebay - the margin is way too thin for anything short of a mountain bike to make you more than a cup of coffee or a stamp unless you trade in volume. The regular traders working the margin would be known to each other.

Those at risk of being a stolen item would only be the untrackables anyway as the risk of a buyer screeching is far too high. NB - ebay has begun investigations into moun10bike coin incidents. They will have to change hands privately in future - like antiquities :antenna:

Clamm I hope you notified ebay - it is dead easy to do. I will be sending them this thread immediately.

Anyway chin up - and try watching a few coins you don't own overseas to see how they move.

I'd also have to add that GC should really overhaul their approach to coins YESTERDAY.

It is still some obscure sideline rather than being treated with te respect a major source of revenue is due -your customers are NOT happy - there is STILL NOTHING IN THE LEFT MENU BAR saying " geocoin." Getting a TB number added when you activate it confuses the issue even further -

and NOTHING ON THE TB PAGE THAT MENTIONS GEOCOINS

and the explanation of a trackable versus plain geocoin - teh way they lock down discussion in the GEOCOIN forum is NOT DOING NEWBIES AND US ANY FAVOURS

the last time I looked the adoption page was still also mighty obscure. A nice big page headed WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU FIND GEOCOINS with lot of PHOTOS and links would be A BIG HELP. My premium membership fees would like to contribute to this! Come ON guys how hard is it to add a bit of text to a webpage?????

I'd also have to add that GC should really overhaul their approach to coins YESTERDAY.

It is still some obscure sideline rather than being treated with te respect a major source of revenue is due -your customers are NOT happy - there is STILL NOTHING IN THE LEFT MENU BAR saying " geocoin." Getting a TB number added when you activate it confuses the issue even further -

and NOTHING ON THE TB PAGE THAT MENTIONS GEOCOINS

and the explanation of a trackable versus plain geocoin - teh way they lock down discussion in the GEOCOIN forum is NOT DOING NEWBIES AND US ANY FAVOURS

the last time I looked the adoption page was still also mighty obscure. A nice big page headed WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU FIND GEOCOINS with lot of PHOTOS and links would be A BIG HELP. My premium membership fees would like to contribute to this! Come ON guys how hard is it to add a bit of text to a webpage?????

Wha?

YESTERDAY, Lock down? TB PAGE? adoption? PHOTOS?

say again?

and little more slowly for us old folks who don't speak babble, thanks.

Well I just picked up a coin that has been travelling for 2 yrs, plus two others that were released early this year - with no defacement or even notes attached! So it obvoiusly works for some. Of course I dropped one of them off, came home and realized I had never even logged it!! So now emailing the owner and letting him know its not in the cache that it states - jeez - my first coin move and I screw it up!!!

Hopefully my next will be better.....

claims my activated coin is his to keep

That discussion has apparently sent the CAC forum server over bandwidth for the month so I can't even read it, but I don't have to. I have encountered this mindset before and it is ignorance of the basics that causes the misapprehension. The same ignorance has removed many of the Jeep TB's from play, there are those who look at the Jeeps they have taken and they are proud they have them, they cannot comprehend that they should be ashamed and that keeping a Jeep marks them as one who has stolen from everyone, they are completely ignorant of simple facts. It is very unfortunate that this attitude is found at all, more geocoin owners need to mark the coins that are stolen with the word STOLEN in the name, this practice needs to become a lot more common, it tends to reinforce who is the actual owner. Geocoin owners who do not take this simple step contribute to the problem and let a viewpoint based in ignorance of the basics flourish. I do know that the attitude you encountered is slowly being eliminated as more cachers mark the geocoins that are stolen as STOLEN, this practice actually encourages the return of the geocoin so that others can participate as the geocoin owner intended when the geocoin was released.

I think the issue has nothing to do with "releasing" the coin and that is just a red herring, it is an attempt to create some justification for something most people see as outright geocoin thievery.

I would not want a trackable coin that was activated and marked as belonging to someone else, the possession of such an item would clearly mark me as a thief should the real owner decide to mark it as STOLEN.

This means that if I find a Moun10Bike geocoin I would not keep it, I would probably give it to you LFD. :mad:

Some days you can't win.......

I am in an argument in the local forums with a fellow that claims my activated coin is his to keep. He feels that as soon as I release it, regardless of if I activate it with a mission, I have given it up and it is his.

Sadly, he also thinks I am sucking the fun out of the hobby for him by mentioning that he has had it for just under 12 months and that he should move it.

Are there people really that self serving and stupid? :mad: Does this guy also keep travel bugs for the same purpose?

That thread on the CAC forum was an interesting read and the cacher who is taking and keeping geocoins owned by others is a case study in the operation of ignorance and how it affects one's world view. His comments get more and more ridiculous and his arguments followed the same pattern. I could not believe that he objected to someone returning to a cache to trade out a Geocoin Fairy geocoin by placing two other geocoins in trade, I suppose he was intending to go out and take the GCF coin and really objected to the fact that it was traded out before he got a chance to do that.

What really amazed and appalled me was his turnaround on the "lost geocoin" and his sudden ability to "find it" after it had been lost for a year, when I read that I concluded that he was lying, he never lost the geocoin but was quite willing to lie about it to continue the charade, simply appalling. I know that this cacher thinks people should not make judgements based upon not knowing him personally but perhaps calling a spade a spade is the simplest course for most people. His objection to the deer camera underscores his actions, he really does object to deer camera caches, I wonder why. :D

When he started beaking off about people not knowing him who were making judgements I was sorely tempted to add a comment to your local forums because I did make my judgement of this person based upon his actions and his comments. I hesitate to use the word geocacher and after reading about his actions and listening to his comments I think I do not need to explore his other points of view to reach the conclusion that he is completely ignorant of the basics.

I can only say that the thread appalled and amazed me. I know there are cachers in these forums who feel and act exactly the same way, I had a discussion with a White Jeep thief and his attitude dovetails to the attitude that you have encountered.

The simplest way to clarify things would be for those people to read a bit, even if they are not very quick on the uptake they should be able to figure it out. The link you had to provide on your local forums is a case in point, he was going to continue in his position unless you could show him a link that indicated activated geocoins were travel bugs, talk about revelling in stupidity and ignorance. The fact that you have to link publically available information demonstrated that this person suffers from ignorance of basic facts. The White Jeep thief was similarly ignorant of basics, he was actually looking to adopt a Jeep he had stolen. :mad: (really) I am sure that he never put the Jeeps back in play even after he learned he was ignorant. Your local forum thread did seem to penetrate the grey matter and dispel some of the blight but that might be an illusion, like your "lost for the last year" Maryland geocoin.

I am glad to see that your geocoin has been returned and hopefully that other person will have so much joy sucked out of the game that they will release all the coins they have taken.

Anyway chin up - and try watching a few coins you don't own overseas to see how they move.

Good advice.

In 51 years I have visited 18 countries on 3 continents, lived in 3 countries (US, UK & CA) and do not believe for one minute that coins will move overseas better than here!

The grass, as they say, is NOT greener somewhere else!

Ed

I respectfully disagree. You can't tell me Moun10Bike Geocoin #003 would not be LONG gone if it was in the US, or for that matter, Canada or parts of the EU.

I sent a bunch of coins to AU some time ago (9 Months) and have yet to lose 1. If one doesn't move for

a month I send a polite e-mail. Everone has been extremely courteous and responsive.

[ If one doesn't move for

a month I send a polite e-mail. Everone has been extremely courteous and responsive.

wow thanks for the link and

thanks for the compliment however undeserved LOL I notice a german cacher had to kick it loose from the green geckos sticky pads!

- looks like it's headed across the seas again.

Also notice in the coins logs back in 2004 'what to do' was not clear to a newbie german cacher even though her english was obviously far better than my german. She was enlightened by email - well I don't think it is any easier 2 years on and I do call english my native language. GC has to take some responsibility for this:

Walk a mile in a newbies shoes - I'm going slowly as requested this time-

1. pretend you are a muggle who has just tripped over a cache. It has a bouncy ball, a lanyard, a notebook, a pen, a montainbike geocoin, a geofairy geocoin, a plush travel bug and lots of mac toys and at the bottom a generic stash note which is thank goodness still legible. Do you see anything on it about what to do with either the coins or the travel bug (TB)? Yes -" if you take something leave something. " You like the look of several things especially the bug and the coin, take them, leave your Rolex and later at home go to www.geocaching.com ( go on try it )

2. Now try to work out how to play the game - do you see the word "geocoin" ANYWHERE on this page labeled "The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site"? Do you see the word travel bug? Yes! it is on the left side of the webpage - ie. helpful information is one click away.

BUT first you decide to start from the top of that menu bar with "lets get started" - click.

lots of information - too much to read all at once so you decide again start at the top and go to FAQ ( frequently asked questions) Once again is there ANYWHERE AT ALL on this page the word GEOCOIN?

You read this over halfway down the page

" What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you. "

The RULES ( not guidelines! GC has a really BIG problem imho with the way they use these two words - cache placement guidelines are interpreted as rules in my neck of the woods but I digress) these rules do not say anything about either moving or not keeping TB's or activated Geocoins or even logging the find online or stunningly even REHIDING CACHE AS YOU FOUND IT! Reading the paragraphing as it stands it implies you can just leave the thing anywhere including your desk.

Skip down two subheadings and read:

"What is usually in a cache?"

Where once again there is absolutely no mention of our friends the TB or the geocoins.

So who's stupid here? Another click away is the forums and yet another click to get to TB's and geocoins - and then you need to be signed up and wait and watch - that's one dedicated muggle if they get that far. I don't think it is any wonder your coins and TB's are sitting in some kid's toybox as a sweet reminder of a nice walk in the woods where they found a treasure box.

anyway this has kept me amused while i am sick with bad cough and can't sleep. I've had a good think about the problem - and it boils down to TEXT OVERLOAD. Burying travel bug near the bottom of the FAQ's after using the generic term " hitchhikers" ( actually a letterboxing term ) for a paragraph is a tad user unfriendly.

I think we need an image map ( clickable picture) of a typical cache which you click on each item to go to a pop up about it.

Dead easy even for me - if I make one can I get a volunhteer geocoin please :D

Forthferalz, have you put this suggestion in the .com forum? I think there is real merit to your idea of picture pop ups and such.

I agree, I think this is an excellent idea, I have often thought that it was hard to find where/how to do geocoins.

I suggest you post a similar post on suggestion forum.

...- and it boils down to TEXT OVERLOAD. Burying travel bug near the bottom of the FAQ's after using the generic term " hitchhikers" ( actually a letterboxing term ) for a paragraph is a tad user unfriendly.

I think we need an image map ( clickable picture) of a typical cache which you click on each item to go to a pop up about it...

I agree! Please post this idea on the gc.com forum. It would be a VERY easy Flash file, and would not be dfficult to create. There needs to be AT LEAST some more information about coins, and it should be added to the canned "stash note". (This is why I use the text from the stash note and add my own info about my cache and the contents, etc)

Good ideas...venting is good...action is better!

Hmm... mental note on something to try sometime. Have a coin protected by 1/2 inch thick lexan on either side of the coin, held there by welded steel around the edges. It wouldn't be damaged... and it wouldn't be very easily obtainable. Only problem is that it'd be really big, and you wouldn't really be able to 'hold' the coin :D

Hmm... mental note on something to try sometime. Have a coin protected by 1/2 inch thick lexan on either side of the coin, held there by welded steel around the edges. It wouldn't be damaged... and it wouldn't be very easily obtainable. Only problem is that it'd be really big, and you wouldn't really be able to 'hold' the coin :D

I'm sure this has been done elsewhere by some other cachers, but a local cacher here--PhantomTech--went to Michael's and purchased some clear resin. He made a small mold, pured in a small layer, layed in a small-print coin mission tag and the coin, and then covered it all with another layer of resin. When I found the coin it made perfect sense--it told the mission and "Please do not hold on to this coin" and "This is not a cache prize" or somesuch.

Was a great idea and won't likely end up in a personal collection, or not be clear to a "newbie" what you're supposed to do with it.

I'm sure this has been done elsewhere by some other cachers, but a local cacher here--PhantomTech--went to Michael's and purchased some clear resin. He made a small mold, pured in a small layer, layed in a small-print coin mission tag and the coin, and then covered it all with another layer of resin. When I found the coin it made perfect sense--it told the mission and "Please do not hold on to this coin" and "This is not a cache prize" or somesuch.

Was a great idea and won't likely end up in a personal collection, or not be clear to a "newbie" what you're supposed to do with it.

I recently left a coin in a small cliplock. It has its own large laminated mission card with the story of the coin as on it and even a stash note glued under the lid like a mini cache - an uber ziplock! I purchased a few more small boxes of various sizes to experiment with the idea further - one in particular appeals as it is round; those travel face cream containers from the chemist.

Here's my thoughts: If a coin is found, you should get the coin Icon. If a paper coin is found, you should get a coin Icon with a huge red X through it to signify that you only found a piece of paper.

Some "Icon collectors" crack me up. So do they close their eyes and imagine that they're holding the real coin? If so, I guess maybe they should get an imaginary icon? :bad:

:D

I am just getting started in coins. I have purchased a few. I try to go after coins specifically in caches and I put them back in other caches. I have gone after so many and they have been robbed by other cachers or muggles (whatever).

There is even a cacher here in Michigan who bolts them in the cache on a steel rope in order to let cachers discover them but not take them.

I don't intend to release any coins unless to award an ftf, give as a gift at an event or door prize, sell or use as a mileage indicator.

There is a married couple in my area I spoke with one of them via email. They made an investment into about a thousand micro coins.. they have launched a couple hundred of them into local caches. I have gone after so many of them and the majority I go after are muggled.

What do cacher's do after they are muggled? aren't they supposed to remove them from the inventories?

I am a little tierd of the whole thing. I enjoy them when I find them but I just want to tell the cache bums that swipe coins that they are ruining the sport. They really are causing issues for gamers who want to hunt trackables.

I Like the idea of the hole drilling or maybe cachers that get coins made will get holes put in them like the generic geocoin. Pathways .com is a coin swag site that is trying to create their own coin site I guess. they all have holes in the coins so you can wear them on a snap clip when your caching. I think that is cool.

Edited by pocketpupsnet

Hello everyone.

I am fairly new to the game as well as others who have posted here. I feel a little guilty about a GC that I picked up here in Charlotte, but I know that I am going to be dropping it in a cache in West Virginia or Virginia this weekend while we are out doing the family reunion thing. This is the only thing that helps me not feel quite so guilty since I know that I am going to drop it soon.

After reading the posts here, I can understand the feeling of disappointment and anger at people who do not 'play fairly', and I know that it is a part of life. But it sucks... How many men do you witness out in public holding a door open for a woman, children, someone struggling with an armfull of whatever, elderly / elders, or even for others in the same group that they are with? Not counting myself, I think maybe 10% of all the people I have seen in my life, 33 by the way, have done this.

It is the way of society. I won't be doing what society says in this case. Society is also advicating the 'do what makes you feel good' spleal and it is often times taken too far. Yeah, if I found one of the Which Cache Will I hunt Today spin coins I would be tempted to keep it, I wouldn't though. Maybe for a couple of cache hunts before I drop it. At the same time, the cache I took the coin from here in Charlotte is without a coin, and I have a cache targeted in WV that has a coin in it. Once I drop the coin I have in WV, the WV coin will come back with me, back into the cache I took the first one from. It may seem like I am begging from peter to steal from mary to pay paul, but I am in financial straights at the moment and the choice of food for my daughters or a couple of coins online was not too tough to decide on.

More people need to have a reality check and see where their morals and ethics are. If they would get those straight, I bet things like crime and ignorance would start to decline again...

Well, sorry to ramble, just wanted to add a little about the 'spoiled sports' that abuse games. I guess there will always be "CHEATERS" no matter what the rules say.

Jason

KI4DMO

I feel a little guilty about a GC that I picked up here in Charlotte, but I know that I am going to be dropping it in a cache in West Virginia or Virginia this weekend

TBs, including traveling geocoins, aren't swag. You don't need to trade for them. There is no reason for you to feel guilty about helping a TB to move. If you find an activated geocoin in a cache, you are not under any obligation to drop an activated coin in its place. As with any TB, the only obligation is to keep it moving from cache to cache.

If you find an unactivated or untrackable coin (that isn't a FTF prize), then it is polite to leave a good trade for it.

Here's my thoughts: If a coin is found, you should get the coin Icon. If a paper coin is found, you should get a coin Icon with a huge red X through it to signify that you only found a piece of paper.

Some "Icon collectors" crack me up. So do they close their eyes and imagine that they're holding the real coin? If so, I guess maybe they should get an imaginary icon? :huh:

:blink:

Ditto

I have a hard time understanding people that trade pages of lists of their coins at an event. Why not just supply the list of caches you have found. Makes the same sense.

I will discover a coin if it is very rare and no chance of seeing it in a chache, like a mt10bike coin, at an event. Other than that if I have an icon I moved the coin.

:D

well....back to the release or not debate.

I have 178 Activated Travel Bugs

64 of these are coins I have activated and am keeping

28 of these are little "Fake Green Jeeps" (Feeps) that I jsut released as part of a fun 'contest'

this leaves 86

34 are confirmed missing.

That's just under 40% lost -- most of which are coins.

The way I did this was to sort all my bugs by last log, then visit each cache and read the logs following the time they were "dropped" into the cache -- any one that has a "no coin in cache" entry following the drop entry was marked missing.

So .... I join the club - no more coins are being released by this cacher. I could handle 10-20% loss, but 40%!! Plus ... many of the others are in the hands of cachers and have been so for 60+ days - no responses to e-mails yet.

Whats funny is here in DE I had been watching several caches that if you go back through the logs several people state 'no TB/Coin in cache' but then it suddenly shows up as being picked up by another cacher.

I'm talking time over several months, not days so its not like someone grabbed it & then couldnt get to a computer to log it.

Were the missing items returned? Were they just missed in the bottom of the container amongst a bunch of 'stuff'?

Guess sometimes its a mystery that may never be solved. Oh well

Whats funny is here in DE I had been watching several caches that if you go back through the logs several people state 'no TB/Coin in cache' but then it suddenly shows up as being picked up by another cacher.

I'm talking time over several months, not days so its not like someone grabbed it & then couldnt get to a computer to log it.

Were the missing items returned? Were they just missed in the bottom of the container amongst a bunch of 'stuff'?

Guess sometimes its a mystery that may never be solved. Oh well

This is why it is recommended not to re-release a traveler until six months to a year after it has been reported as lost. (Confirmed lost from destruction or theft is of course another matter)

I just released my first coin into the wild on 9/27/2006 and it has had it's first movement on 9/30/2006. There were two items in the cache that I really wanted to turn into TBs and thought that the coin was a fair exchange. So far, so good. I'd like to see how far the coin makes it and hope that it gets pretty far before maybe asking for a return trip after a couple of months so that I can pick it back up.

It's a Signal April coin and I could get another one on the webpage for only 7.50 plus shipping, which isn't bad. I'd like to think that most folks caching are honest and that they'd just move the coin along for me.

I also put in the log and on the coin's page that this was my first coin drop and to please be gentle. Don't know if that'll make a difference.

I recently ran into a photo copy of a coin. I discovered it and left it in the cache. When I posted the discovery note, I logged that it just did not seem right to move a paper coin. The coin's owner contacted me and wanted to know what I meant. Now we have another way to steal misplace coins. Glen

While I would not just use a photcopy, this is nothing new and entirely acceptable.

I am in the process of making replicas of many of my coins (wood) to release. If they go missing, oh well, they travel no more and I still have the original. If they are out of circulation long enough, I may put a duplicate back out, but more than likely not.

Coins are expensive and those that move or discover them are looking for the icon. I don't think most consider them travel bugs in the sense of "let's see what kind of mileage we get on this", it's just an added benefit.

Not quite sure what the comment about "another way to steal" means. Would having a paper copy mean that much to you?

I still think that an Icon should go with only one item.

Regardless of it being metal, wood, etc... - I think it's goofy that the same Icon could possibly be related to two physically different things.

It wouldn't, it would only go for one. As I stated, I "might" consider re-releasing it but only after 6 months or a year of being mising. This is no different than what is done with normal TB's, which by the way, always come as two tags with the same number.

Reality is, once it went missing, I probably would not go to the trouble of sending it back out.

I recently ran into a photo copy of a coin. I discovered it and left it in the cache. When I posted the discovery note, I logged that it just did not seem right to move a paper coin. The coin's owner contacted me and wanted to know what I meant. Now we have another way to steal misplace coins. Glen

While I would not just use a photcopy, this is nothing new and entirely acceptable.

I am in the process of making replicas of many of my coins (wood) to release. If they go missing, oh well, they travel no more and I still have the original. If they are out of circulation long enough, I may put a duplicate back out, but more than likely not.

Coins are expensive and those that move or discover them are looking for the icon. I don't think most consider them travel bugs in the sense of "let's see what kind of mileage we get on this", it's just an added benefit.

Not quite sure what the comment about "another way to steal" means. Would having a paper copy mean that much to you?

I think what was meant is that someone other than the owner created the photo copy of the coin... kept the original and sent the copy back out travelling. I'm sure that the copy person thought no one would notice since so many are already releasing photo copies to start with.

AZ-Did you deface them in some way before sending them out?

Nope, never even thought about it. I'm holding two Haughton's Hunters coins, and planned to release one except for some down time I've taken on Geocaching in the heat of the summer. The other will stay unreleased in that personnal collection I planned to start (of my owned coins, of course).

The coin's just too nice to mark it up, but then the hole with the tag attached looks like a good approach.

In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of these coins shows up magically somewhere, and can continue it's missiion!

We're re-loading the bargain bin at geocoinstore.com and hopefully by early Nov. there will be 3-5 very affordable trackable coins there. All with icons. Cheap way to take a risk on releasing them.

Interestingly, the free anniversary coins we issued in the club appear to be doing fairly well in the wild. Perhaps when people mint coins something as simple as minting "Don't keep this!" would help... I know it kind of "ruins" the design in some cases. But it does appear to be at least mildly effective.

I was just going to make a topic about this.

I have purchased one geocoin, it was Canadian and its goal was to make it to Afghanistan and back. Someone who will remain unnamed took it saying they were going to be touring Afghanistan (he is military), would take a picture of him with the coin there and then bring it back if I wanted. I said no, I'd rather it go from cache to cache and make it and asked if he could please place the coin back in a cache.

That hasn't happened yet and it's been three months. I contacted him again to remind him and didn't get a reply. It was an expensive coin and I think this experience has forever turned me off of contributing a geocoin or TB.

So far I've had great success with the coins I have released. Only about 4% have actually gone missing. I have had 1 go missing that turned up again months later. I do drill a hole in them & attach a tag explaining how to log them & listing their goals etc. I do think logging of coins is very confusing to a newbie. I watch my coins pretty closely. I think this makes a big difference. I e-mail the holder of a coin pretty quickly if they are new. I allow alot more time if I see they are an experienced cacher. Most people respond to my e-mails. I approach them very gently. Life gets in the way of caching :o I've held a TB too long. One thing I don't want them to do is run out & put my coin in the closest cache because they think they have held it too long! I'd much rather they take their time & put it in a quality cache! My response to those who steal my coins, I'm sorry you feel the need to do that, but you won't be able to sell it & you are not going to stop me from releasing them! And, I am not putting out copies! ;) As I can, I will continue to put out more real coins. They are fun to watch & cachers enjoy finding the real thing! And that is my contribution to the game! :D