I won't release any more geocoins

az_pistolero

I released three Signal Geocoins around the end of March '06.

The longest lived one went missing some time in early August '06 -- not quite five months.

The shortest lived one lasted 35 days.

None of the caches were reported to be muggled, so it would appear fellow geocachers picked up the coins and didn't log them.

Certainly has spoiled any enthusiasm I once had with watching a geocoin get passed along. At least one of these three had a stop at a GC Event and lots of folks got to grab it...

they are too cool.

I picked up a spin geocoin at it's very first cache.

very neat coin. wanted to keep it myself. :huh: But I made a special 100 mile trip to get it moving, and the person who picked it up after me is still sitting on it. :(

It's kind of like I have this really cool hologram glass skull thing that I want to make into a TB, but I would be bummed if it only made it to a cache or two before it "disappeared".

I won't release any more geocoins

Pistol, while I understand your feelings, I hope you'll reconsider some day. You can't change the behavior of others, but you can change how you react to it. If watching a coin's travels is something you enjoy, don't let the actions of some thieves get you down. Will you stop hiding ammo cans cuz some goober steals one of yours? I hope not, Brother. This game would end pretty kwick if most folks came to feel that way.

It's kind of like I have this really cool hologram glass skull thing that I want to make into a TB, but I would be bummed if it only made it to a cache or two before it "disappeared".

I have 2 travelbugs that I have released into the wild. the first got grabbed from a cache by a new geocacher, who then prompty quit the game, emails have gone unanswered, so that travelbug is 'dead' now apparently.

I have another travelbug that has been moving a bit, and just hit up in Alabama (if memory serves me)

I have read too many cache logs stating 'saw geocoin listed, but it was not in the cache' and have come across the same thing many times as well. to the point that I don't see any benefit for me to waste money on buying coins to release them just for someone to steal them. Travelbugs are still ok in my mind because they are cheaper, as well as they aren't limited edition so much less likely to be stolen.

It sucks that thieves ruin this part of the game.

I've had pretty good luck with most of my geocoins so far, but have lost a few. One didn't last 2 days. I placed it in a cache on Friday and on Sunday a finder reported the coin was not there. In each instance where the coin went missing, someone apparently targeted the cache just for the coin. There were no logs online or in the logbook between the time the coin was dropped off and discovered to be missing.

All coins that went missing had a laminated note attached saying "Please do not remove this coin from circulation. It is meant to be moved from cache to cache for others to enjoy and not to be kept for anybody's collection". The same statement is on the cache page, so there is no chance they were kept inadvertantly.

Its sad that in a sport that depends on the honesty and good will of others, there is a small segment of dishonest geocachers out there. It's my hope that these theives are not real geocachers, but are instead Ebay speculators looking for a quick buck. Unfortunately I fear that a lot of them are geocachers.

Still, I will not give into the coin theives and will continue to release geocoins, hopefully faster than they can disappear.

Edited by briansnat

Share your coins at events (great icebreaker) and send easily replaced laminated copies of them out into the world. WIN-WIN: You get to keep the coin & people get to log them + you get risk free movement. :(

You OWN that tracking number, so you might as well get some enjoyment out of it. :huh:

Edited by Snoogans

Share your coins at events (great icebreaker) and send easily replaced laminated copies of them out into the world. WIN-WIN: You get to keep the coin & people get to log them + you get risk free movement. :(

You OWN that tracking number, so you might as well get some enjoyment out of it. :huh:

The coin cannot be in two places at once. I fear that your advice may result in the coin being locked down as a virtual coin.

Locks are to keep honest people honest. In other words, there are a lot of people who will steal something like this because they know they can get away with it and they can justify it in their own heads, i.e. "The owner put it in the cache therefore it isn't really his anymore." Doesn't make a lot of sense to me though, because if I did it I would be scared to show it to anybody and what good is it if you can't show it off.

Share your coins at events (great icebreaker) and send easily replaced laminated copies of them out into the world. WIN-WIN: You get to keep the coin & people get to log them + you get risk free movement. :D

You OWN that tracking number, so you might as well get some enjoyment out of it. B)

The coin cannot be in two places at once. I fear that your advice may result in the coin being locked down as a virtual coin.

Where's the logic in that??? :(

Discoveries on the coins at events (NO MOVEMENT) and a PHYSICAL traveler that is a copy of the coin. It's done all the time. There's NOTHING virtual about it. I've logged a few and plan to do it with my own coins. If they get locked down for that kind of arbitrary thinking I'll be ROYALLY PIS$ED about it. :huh:

Besides there's tons of TBs that have MORE than one traveler (while confusing) using the same number. I know of a couple that have more than 50 travelers using the same number.

Edited by Snoogans

I suppose it has to do with motivation. If you want to place coins in caches and watch them move you may well be dissapointed, although that is getting better.

Coins do disappear, but less now not that they have been around a bit.

And, there are enough of us the want them to move that the game is developing an ethic - activated coins tend to travel and unactivated tend to be used for trades and collecting.

I had two coins made and gave 350 of them away. I didn't specify any desires for the folks I gave them to as far as keep or circulate, except that I asked them not to sell it.

Two people did list them on eBay, but both cancelled the sale on request.

About half of the coins are activated and in circulation, others are unactivated but I hear of them being traded.

Total cost of having the coins made was ~$2400, so that's definatly not a cheap route to take.

Still, if you enjoy the coins and don't expect to break even it's a fun part of the game.

Ed

I have had several coins move around quite well, and I did nothing extra to encourage it. For example, I did not include any sort of note with the coin, and simply asked that it move around on the coin page. At the same time, I had one end up with a suspected coin thief, so I figure that one is gone. Overall, I like to send some out and see what happens, but I don't get my hopes up and just figure that they will end up missing at some point. If they keep moving, I am pleasently surprised. If they go missing quickly, I am not shocked, and I don't get too upset since I released them knowing of that possibility. The nature of coins and travel bugs are such that they have a tendaecy to disappear at times.

[... Where's the logic in that??? :huh: ...

My GUESS at the logic is that Groundspeak is in the coin business for profit, they sell you one number to use on one item - kinda like software - you but a Norton Anti-Virus for one machine and can't load it on any others.

On another topic, I refurbished 2 caches and placed a new one this weekend, and put 6 unactivated coins in each of the two refurbs and 20 unactivated coins in the new one.

I specifically asked finders to swap at will BUT not to log any coin they leave into the cache. Having the coin icon on the listing just makes a cache a target and will get it muggled in short order!

Ed

I have 2 travelbugs that I have released into the wild. the first got grabbed from a cache by a new geocacher, who then prompty quit the game, emails have gone unanswered, so that travelbug is 'dead' now apparently.

I have another travelbug that has been moving a bit, and just hit up in Alabama (if memory serves me)

I have read too many cache logs stating 'saw geocoin listed, but it was not in the cache' and have come across the same thing many times as well. to the point that I don't see any benefit for me to waste money on buying coins to release them just for someone to steal them. Travelbugs are still ok in my mind because they are cheaper, as well as they aren't limited edition so much less likely to be stolen.

It sucks that thieves ruin this part of the game.

Yep, TBs are easier to make un-desirable as a collectible and they are far easier to replace. If you want to watch something travel, stick with travel bugs. If you want to share your coins (or their icon) find a way to pass them around that doesn't include anonymous retrieval from a cache.

Never release anything you aren't willing to lose, and that includes coins.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You never know about TBs. I personally have had good luck with them. I put out 25 and 10 have more than 6k miles. Another few are still traveling from time to time.

My most interesting TB was Baron Bug, my son's Birmingham Barons Baseball Southeastern Championship ring.

We entered it into a GGA MLB race and were convinced it would be muggled in a hurry but it traveled to major league ball parks in two countries for 18 months before coming back to a cache near us, from which we retrieved it.

Two, to my knowledge, have dissappeared, one wheb a TB Hotel it was in was stolen, the other is being held by a jerk that gave it to his dog as a chew toy.

Still, overall, great success with them.

Ed

Share your coins at events (great icebreaker) and send easily replaced laminated copies of them out into the world. WIN-WIN: You get to keep the coin & people get to log them + you get risk free movement. :lol:

You OWN that tracking number, so you might as well get some enjoyment out of it. :lol:

If you are going to put out a lame paper copy of the coin please specify it on the coin page. The icons are fun and all, but I really like to see the coins themselves. We found one this weekend that was only the paper copy and it was rather disappointing. If we had known it was only the copy we wouldn't have bothered with it.

I've lost more than a few geocoins that I've released in the wild, but the vast majority are still in motion (I'd guess >80%). That's better than I can say for the traditional travelbugs I've released - most tended to dissappear within a year or less. I still get (briefly) upset when one of my coins dissappears. But, every so often, one that I've marked as missing shows up in circulation again.

I actually like releasing geocoins as travelers. The cost is not that different from a regular TB (tag + item). They are desirable, so they move quickly. People seem more likely to seek a cache to pick up a new icon than to grab a TB.

If you enjoy watching them move around, you might try releasing a few in Europe. There are a number of posts from folks willing to drop a TB/geocoin in a foreign cache if you send it their way. Everything that I've released that way is still in cirulation.

Edited by tokencollector

I'm having reasonable luck with mine. I have launched about 80 geocoins as travellers to date. Of which 11 are missing. That's an 8.8% loss rate and not all the ones that are missing were stolen. One was lost by a cacher and another was in a stolen cache.

I'm no math major, but 11 is clearly more than 8, which is 10% of 80. I think 11 / 80 is .1375 - almost 14%.

Blue

[... Where's the logic in that??? :lol: ...

My GUESS at the logic is that Groundspeak is in the coin business for profit, they sell you one number to use on one item - kinda like software - you but a Norton Anti-Virus for one machine and can't load it on any others.

On another topic, I refurbished 2 caches and placed a new one this weekend, and put 6 unactivated coins in each of the two refurbs and 20 unactivated coins in the new one.

I specifically asked finders to swap at will BUT not to log any coin they leave into the cache. Having the coin icon on the listing just makes a cache a target and will get it muggled in short order!

Ed

As for the Anti-Virus analogy... You're right, it's only legal to install it on one machine, but there's nothing stopping you from mapping the drives of other machines to the one that computer the Anti-Virus is installed on and scanning that way. Not the best solution, but it's only one install per the EULA.

When an coin owner releases a photocopy of a coin, the original stays with the owner. So it's only on that one place. There's nothing stopping the coin owner from dropping a coin "copy" from it's current circulation position, into an event cache. Like the multiple TB tag problem, it generates errors in the log if they do this, but it's the owners choice as to how they want to mangle their coin logs.

Last I checked, TB's were sold with a backup "copy" tag. Almost all coin releases don't have this feature included... there are exceptions.

As stated before, a discovery log does nothing but allow someone that has acquired the tracking number the ability to add an icon to their trackables list. It may not be the way you want to play the game, but people want to maximize their investment in their coin collection. Am I disappointed when I find a photocopy of a coin in a cache instead of a real coin... yes... but I was also disappointed when I when I saw the coin I released being sold on Ebay.... actually a lot more disappointed.

Share your coins at events (great icebreaker) and send easily replaced laminated copies of them out into the world. WIN-WIN: You get to keep the coin & people get to log them + you get risk free movement. :lol:

You OWN that tracking number, so you might as well get some enjoyment out of it. :lol:

If you are going to put out a lame paper copy of the coin please specify it on the coin page. The icons are fun and all, but I really like to see the coins themselves. We found one this weekend that was only the paper copy and it was rather disappointing. If we had known it was only the copy we wouldn't have bothered with it.

I agree with WildGooseChase, paper copies should be specified. I rushed out this morning to a cache that had listed, just 2 days ago, three coins and a TB. I knew that the coins were supposed to be moved to another cache and I would be glad to do that. But what I really wanted was to see up close and personal the Scotland coin that was supposed to be there. It was disappointing to find a paper copy. I left the copy for someone else to take. I'm new and its a fun sport but I wonder if I'll ever find any coins in a cache.

I've had pretty good luck with most of my geocoins so far, but have lost a few. One didn't last 2 days. I placed it in a cache on Friday and on Sunday a finder reported the coin was not there. In each instance where the coin went missing, someone apparently targeted the cache just for the coin. There were no logs online or in the logbook between the time the coin was dropped off and discovered to be missing.

All coins that went missing had a laminated note attached saying "Please do not remove this coin from circulation. It is meant to be moved from cache to cache for others to enjoy and not to be kept for anybody's collection". The same statement is on the cache page, so there is no chance they were kept inadvertantly.

Its sad that in a sport that depends on the honesty and good will of others, there is a small segment of dishonest geocachers out there. It's my hope that these theives are not real geocachers, but are instead Ebay speculators looking for a quick buck. Unfortunately I fear that a lot of them are geocachers.

Still, I will not give into the coin theives and will continue to release geocoins, hopefully faster than they can disappear.

I thought once you activated a coin and you owned it - that basically it becomes worthless to anyone other than you. you cant sell it on ebay as a trackable coin - the buyer would know it was taken. So why even take them? Prob for your own collection or to show off and hope nobody realizes your stealing them??

I thought once you activated a coin and you owned it - that basically it becomes worthless to anyone other than you. you cant sell it on ebay as a trackable coin - the buyer would know it was taken. So why even take them? Prob for your own collection or to show off and hope nobody realizes your stealing them??

If someone is showing off a bunch of coins, it can be easily overlooked if the coin is stolen or not. And how hard is it to tell the people looking at the collection that they "aren't activated". Unless someone went to the trouble to verify each coin they saw, it's likely they would never catch the thief.

Unfortunately Groundspeak hasn't put a system in place yet that can let people know by looking at the icon on the cache page that they are looking at a photocopy.

Perhaps a small red "X" in the bottom of an icon or something similar. the coin owner would have an option on their coin page to list whether or not the traveling coin is a real coin or some kind of representation.

I released three Signal Geocoins around the end of March '06.

The longest lived one went missing some time in early August '06 -- not quite five months.

The shortest lived one lasted 35 days.

None of the caches were reported to be muggled, so it would appear fellow geocachers picked up the coins and didn't log them.

Certainly has spoiled any enthusiasm I once had with watching a geocoin get passed along. At least one of these three had a stop at a GC Event and lots of folks got to grab it...

That's a bummer man :huh: , but don't lose hope yet. We've released 11 so far this year and all are still moving (one has moved over 9600 miles so far) thanks to the goodness of our fellow cachers out there. Sometimes it's just a mistake or someone's inability to move it along. I think AtlantaGal just had one start moving again after something like a year of inactivity :lol: and others have reported similar things happening so hopefully it will work out that way for you, too.

Even if they were stolen, they still have the hope of returning to the wild at some point so don't let ruin your game. Karma's a wonderful thing :lol: , so just keep on caching and smiling. When you think about it, those three coins are probably the least amount of money you've spent so far compared to anything else and if you're having a good time it's worth it. Still less than the cost of a movie and a lot more hours of fun. :P

If you enjoy watching them move around, you might try releasing a few in Europe. There are a number of posts from folks willing to drop a TB/geocoin in a foreign cache if you send it their way. Everything that I've released that way is still in cirulation.

ditto that

send easily replaced laminated copies of them out into the world

I'm not terribly interested in icon collecting, and tend not to move coins or "discover" them, but the 2 laminated "coins" I've seen in caches both annoyed me. Have your cake and eat it too, huh? You get to see your coin move, but the cacher doesn't get to see your coin. Yuck.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The rate at which I am losing coins seems to be on the rise. :lol:

I'm still trying to come up with a solution -- so far, each method I attempt both works and fails (depending on the coin and the "luck of the stars")

Overall, I am taking a little break from the coin releasing -- I actually went to an astronomy website that sells SpaceToys (which some of you may know) and bought a bunch of marbles of the earth, moon and mars. I plan to release these as Travel Bugs if I can find a way to attach the numbers.

On a more cheery note -- I DID have some coins "show-up" once I renamed them as STOLEN in their title. That at least may help for those you have lost.

My rate of lost coins is starting to approach somewhere around 40% -- it depends on where I draw the line of not moved = lost (30, 60, 90, 120 days?)

The problem is that coins are valuable more as collectibles than as cache items to many people. I have seen MANY coins I wish I had in my collection, but my camera works. For others, they must steal them. Even coins with HUGE production runs still end up being rare at some point and "disappear".

What we have to remember is that it only takes ONE thief to overturn the work of dozens or hundreds of responsible cachers.

I recently purchased an 'unactivated' coin on that 'auction' site. When I went to activate it, I found out it was owned by someone else. First I contacted the seller and got my money back. Then I contacted the real owner to tell her I have her coin - it appears she no longer wants anything to do with caching. We plan on releasing the coin within the next few days in a cache where it belongs. We started obsessively collecting coins in August - has anyone else purchased cons that were already activated by someone else?

Edited by CLAMM

I drill holes in the geocoins I release. Makes them less desirable for collectors.

I do this too, then I attach a tag onto it with a split ring or chain, and then solder that shut. I figure it someone really wants the coin that badly, they can have it. Here's two examples:

charliewhiskey's Kansas Geocoin

Honored Military coin (non-trackable, so it's a TB)

I was upset when a couple of my first TBs vanished in the hands of other cachers. I've since sent out a bunch, and find it easier to accept disappearances. I'm now doing the same with coins - I have a bunch I'm gradually sending out, expecting some to disappear, but looking forward to the travels of the remaining ones.

We have been picking up coins and moving them along. We just put out a cache with an unactivated coin as FTF prize. We are going to try putting out a few coins in each of several states on our next trip south in October. Hopefully, most of them will move along and give us some enjoyment watching them.

I guess it is a good idea to expect some to disappear. That might help avoid some disappointment along the way.

Just a thought,we hate to say it ,but it has to be wanna-be Geocachers.

E-Bay sellers(like us)would have no use for a registered coin.you cannot change the ownership without the owners say-so.

Besides,most buyers won't even bid on a registered coin.(Except the really big ones, Moun10 Bike,Volunteer coins,Lacky coins etc.)

Whoever they are they...........have no class.

:lol: I drill a 1/4" hole in all the coins I release and put a split ring for a keychain on them with a brass tag reading "Please log at WWW.Geocaching.com" and I still have them go missing. Just last week I dropped a USA coin in a cache and it didn't last a day before it got snitched. If someone really wants to steal it you might as well count it as gone. I also have coins that have over 15,000 miles on them. Just kinda hit and miss sometimes. Hey LFD I use a pretty standard metal drill bit and any drill will do. Just be sure to clamp the coin down before you drill it. Oh yeah there ARE geobones/geocoins out there that already have holes in em'!

e616672b-0a19-40e8-b582-466b94a87012.jpg

Edited by 57chevy

:lol: I drill a 1/4" hole in all the coins I release and put a split ring for a keychain on them with a brass tag reading "Please log at WWW.Geocaching.com" and I still have them go missing.

I like a nice Travel bug, but only hole you can drill to keep your coin from going missing will have to look like this.

repair-washer-8mm.jpg

:lol: I drill a 1/4" hole in all the coins I release and put a split ring for a keychain on them with a brass tag reading "Please log at WWW.Geocaching.com" and I still have them go missing.

I like a nice Travel bug, but only hole you can drill to keep your coin from going missing will have to look like this.

repair-washer-8mm.jpg

That's all good and well, but you need to put some more effort into it...

fakecoin2.jpg

and finish it up like this:

fakecoin1.jpg

That's all good and well, but you need to put some more effort into it...

and finish it up like this:

fakecoin1.jpg

I think it would be really neat to find that in a cache. Even back when there were just the USA geocoins and the Moun10bike coins, the Moun10bike coins were almost never out in caches on the East Coast. Hunting and finding that out in the wild would be so much better than just seeing one at a picnic that someone else traded for.

It's very true that if someone wants it bad enough they will take it hole or not, but I'm pretty sure this basically eliminates those who are stealing them to put them up on ebay. I seriously doubt people will buy a coin with a drill hole through it.

As for the how-we drill ours with a cordless drill, then use airplane cable and crimps to secure a tag to the coin, just in case there was any confusion as to what to do with it (the coin that is)... :)

Since doing this we've had pretty good luck at keeping them going with the exception of ones dropped in Hawaii which appear to be used as offerings to Pele. Hawaii is truly the black pit for coins, we will be dropping no more there....

Edited by Hula Bum

Oh yeah there ARE geobones/geocoins out there that already have holes in em'!

But the coins with holes already in them do not deter them from someone snagging the coin and not letting it continue on it's journey.

I always drill another hole in my coins and attach a luggage lock, I never use the holes that are part of the coin. Basically I try to deface the coin. I realize that this does not stop someone from stealing the coin but it does make it more obvious if someone was to try and show it off in there collection :) .

As for travelling, I have to tell you if you want your coin taken care of and to travel send it over the puddle to Europe, those folks know how to take care of coins. That is where I have had the most success :rolleyes: .

I think the North Americans need to take lessons from the Europeans :rolleyes: .

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me though, because if I did it I would be scared to show it to anybody and what good is it if you can't show it off.

Look at all the JEEP TB's that are missing, they are not being shown off, they are sittting on computer desks somewhere, and that person is proud to have them, all by their self.

Oh yeah there ARE geobones/geocoins out there that already have holes in em'!

I think the North Americans need to take lessons from the Europeans :) .

Yup my coins I sent to New Zealand are also traveling well. :rolleyes: Guess we been brung up different here. :rolleyes:

BTW: attaching laminated tags, defacing and drilling hole makes no difference whatsoever the coins still get stolen despite all the added baggage...

I don't worry about released coins going missing. Compared to other things I could be spending $6-$10 on, I consider the occasional cost of a lost coin a very good deal for the amount of fun I have geocaching.

Yes, it's frustrating and a bummer, but those feelings are more than offset by reading the positive logs written by cachers who are thrilled to find REAL coins in a cache and then move them on.

Don't let a few bad apples ruin the majority's fun!