60CSx-POI as Cachers - Not listed on Unit

Aushiker

G'day

Being playing with the GSAK macro that creates the caches as POI file with a lot of detail for uploading to a Garmin unit such as the 60CSx.

I have run the macro in GSAK and it has created a POI csv file which POI Loader recognises and tells me has been succesfully loaded to my GPSr, a 60CSx.

However when I either look at the list of Geocaches in the GPSr they contain none of the details. When I go to "Custom Points of Interest" or "All Points of Interest" on the 60CSx I don't get any of the cachers that are in the POI showing, in fact I get no POI other than those coming off the map I am using, Tracks4Australia.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

The note size is limitted to 88 characters by the POI loader. GSAK will export however many characters you want into the GPX file. I do it this way and fill up the 88 character fields no problem.

I have just tried what I assume you are doing including the %hint in the "Waypoint description format (comments) box in GSAK. This truncated the hint at less than 30 characters in the 60CSx. If you are doing something else can you either please explain or please point me to the thread where this has been discussed.

Thanks

Andrew

Here is a screen shot of a cache listing with 88 character hint.

pois.jpg

If I look in the GPX file for this cache I find:

<name>Calgary Cryptocache 1-GCA76E</name>

<desc>I first clue is offset. You are looking for a stone with a plaque dedicated to Mr. Edworthy. I assure you there are no flags or trees used in this cache.</desc>

This shows the whoel hint in teh description field and the POI loader has truncated to 88 characters when compiling to the GPS.

Edited by Red90

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions but I really don't how this is going to help my problem. You seem to be suggesting exporting from GSAK and then loading using the POI Loader, which is much the same as running the macro and then loading using the POI Loader.

At the end of the day the same problem is there. The POI are not showing in the 60CSx. If someone can help with that problem, it would be appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Read my first post again.

My suggestion to fix the problem is to create 2 spearate files into the POI directory and then run the POI loader. Some people have reported that if you only make one file the POIs will not sow up on the GPS.

The second suggestion was to use GPX files instead of CSV ONLY because it is simpler.

Read my first post again.

My suggestion to fix the problem is to create 2 spearate files into the POI directory and then run the POI loader. Some people have reported that if you only make one file the POIs will not sow up on the GPS.

I saw your suggestion but it didn't make sense then and it still does not. Two files? What does that mean? Two files exported from GSAK? Something esle? Do they have to be the same, just different file names? It also does not fit with this example - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140808 which seems to use a single file and it works.

I really do appreciate your attempt to help me, but I find your responses lacking in detail, which I clearly need and you appear to be getting frustrated with me. I will see if I can resolve this via other means.

Thanks for you help.

Regards

Andrew

When you do this, what happens?

1) Press FIND

2) Navigate to "Custom Points of Interest" and press ENTR

3) Press MENU

Does a pop up menu show with choices?

"Nearest Containing"

"Select Database"

"Change Refernence"

If so, delect "Select Database" and see where thing go.

I just started playing with the POI loader and gsak. I just exported a gpx file from gsak and put it into the folder, I uploaded to my 60cx but there was nothing showing up under custom POI. So I did as Red90 suggested and made another gpx file of wifi hotspots and put it with the same folder with the file I exported from gsak before. This time after uploading with the POI loader, when I look at custom POI in my 60cx I still see nothing but I get another option when I hit menu on the blank POI list, select database.

I can open either data base but I have to do this every time I want to look at a custom POI list. I'm sure I'm just missing something or is this how it's supose to work?

also isnt there an easy way to use custom Icons for these POI files?

Hi

Found the POI upload thread which discusses the two files issues. Now tried that with the *.gpx and *.csv files and that gets my the select database option so I am now working, even through it seems to be a work around, at least it works.

And yes have the latest firmware. Did an update as soon as I got the unit.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Andrew

Read this:

Hi all, I found solution of my problem with "None Found" message in list of Custom POIs (in my GPS Legend Cx, sw. 2.50)

It seems to be bug in Color schemes. I got this wrong message if I use Diamond, Emerald, Pearl, Sapphire and Topas scheme. If I switch to Amethyst, Aquamarine, Opal, Peridot or Ruby it's ok and I can see in "Custom POIs" list of all my POIs from all databases I imported.

I hope this'll help :huh:

What color scheme are you using?

What color scheme are you using?

I also read the post about color settings having an effect with the legendC, I also read that tthe legendC recent firmware was supose to have fixxed that.

I checked and I was running peridot & i changed to a couple of the others that were supose to work with no difference in the unit.

if I put the unit into USB massstorage mode the garmin POI loader converts all the GPX files I am uploading to a poi.gpi file. it's located @ Drive letter:\Garmin\Poi (I was hoping more info may be helpful). also maybe someone who has this working could sendme their POI.gpi file to test.

I suspect it may have something to do with the settings I used in the GPX file export in gsak, though i think the OP was using the macro to export from gsak so who knows why we are both having this issue..... I have the most current POI loader(2.3.2).

After loading a POI, it is sometimes necessary to power the unit off/on in order for it to recognize the new POIs. The POI Loader attempts to do this by performing a soft reset on completion, but it doesn't always work.

G'day

Did that a few times. Made no difference. Seems the problem is the colour scheme. All that said I also changed the icons as per another thread. Now when I mark a point, all my waypoints "vanish".

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

I've been following this thread and I have the custom POIs working fine with my 60CSx. The only question I have is how do you do a mass delete of all the custom POIs? I can mass delete the waypoints and geocaches from menu selections on the GPS, but not these. Is the only way to get rid of the current ones to overwrite them with a new file of custom POIs? I am using GSAK and the GPX file.

Thanks in advance,

Jim