Seeking opinions on Garmin Quest

PlantAKiss

Hi

I am a total newb to geocacheing and in fact, haven't done it yet. I don't have a GPS unit. I did go once with an out-of-town friend to find a cache but his battery died before we could find it. We also placed a cache but its not logged yet. Anyway...I have been trying to decide on a GPS unit (cost being a big factor).

I would really like something that can function as a car navigation unit AND a handheld for Gcacheing. I've read pretty good reviews on the Garmin Quest/Quest 2. I've seen some good deals on it on eBay. But most of the reviews revolved around its performance for car navigation. What I want to know is...would this unit work well for geocacheing too?

If anyone has any other suggestions for a good beginner GPS, that would be appreciated. I'd really like to have both features (car and cacheing) if at all possible. But if the Quest is totally unsuitable for cacheing, then maybe I need to consider some other unit.

Thanks!

I have a Quest and I think it is great for geocaching and trail use in general. It is also an excellent in-car unit which is, without question, its intended use. All units designed for use in the hand lack voice prompted navigation in the car which I think is too valuable a feature to pass up. All other voice prompting units are nearly or totally unsuitable for out of vehicle use and caching. The Quest is small, light, waterproof, easy to read and operate, and has excellent battery life, and the low purchase price includes the maps for the US and Canada.

Although it is not necessary, using an amplified external antenna greatly improves the reception and allows me to pocket the unit until I need to look at it without losing signal.

To use the Quest for off road activities such as caching, remember to set the routing preference to off road, which allows the Quest to show a compass page when navigating to a cache or other off road destination.

I really do not know of any serious limitations to the Quest either as a car system or a trail unit, especially with the external antenna.

Edited by appletree

Well thank you very much for the info Appletree. :D That's very encouraging. I've read mostly good reviews about the Quest.

One more question...is it very hard to connect in your car? I know nothing about cars and wiring... I am hoping it is easy enough that I can handle it.

Maybe I will try for this one IF I can find a good bargain.

I will be very excited to finally get a GPS unit so I can join in. :D

Edited by PlantAKiss

Well thank you very much for the info Appletree. :D That's very encouraging. I've read mostly good reviews about the Quest.

One more question...is it very hard to connect in your car? I know nothing about cars and wiring... I am hoping it is easy enough that I can handle it.

Maybe I will try for this one IF I can find a good bargain.

I will be very excited to finally get a GPS unit so I can join in. :D

There is no wiring involved. The Quest snaps into a bracket that attaches to the windshield with a suction mount. A power cable is permanently attached to the bracket and ends in a standard car lighter plug with a small speaker and volume control incorporated into it. Plug it into the lighter or accessory socket and the Quest turns itself on and starts working. Set up time - ten seconds. Popping the Quest out of the bracket for use out of the car - 2 seconds. All of the parts described are included, as is a second bracket with a wall plug for using or charging the Quest indoors (rarely if ever needed). If you do not like the suction mount, it is easy to detach it and replace it with one that fits into the bean bag or stick on mounts. I use my Quest mounted on my steering column in front of my speedometer, which I can still read.

Edited by appletree

The QUEST model sounds interesting. Can you enter a location using coordinates? And can you download waypoints to QUEST from a computer?

Yes on both of those.

When you consider that their prices include nearly everything you need (windshield mount, software), I think they are a Pretty Good Deal.

I have a Quest 2. It's a decent auto gps and a passible caching unit.

For auto use, I think it's a little slow to look things up or calculate a route. I haven't really compared that to other units, so I don't know how it compares.

For caching, my main hang up is it doesn't show exact distance. it will round the distance to the nearest 100 feet or 10' if below 100. IMHO, if Garmin would allow you to display actual dictance instead of rounding, it would be greatly improved.

If you have the money, I'd recomend getting a good car unit and a good handheld, but if you can only afford one, the quest will get you by.

I have a Quest 2. It's a decent auto gps and a passible caching unit.

For auto use, I think it's a little slow to look things up or calculate a route. I haven't really compared that to other units, so I don't know how it compares.

It's probably a little slower because all of the maps are preloaded. I have the Quest and only load the surrounding states unless I go on a road trip. It calculates very quickly. I also had a 60csx that I gave to my H because I prefer the Quest as an all around unit.

Thank you all so much. I am on the brink of a purchase. I kinda want the Quest 2 but really its too expensive for me. I shouldn't be buying either one. lol But I think I'm going to "just do it."

I really don't travel much at all so this unit would be more than satisfactory. I just thought it would be very convenient to have all the maps preloaded.

"it will round the distance to the nearest 100 feet or 10' if below 100"

So...does that mean for cacheing, I would have a radius of about 90 feet to search?

Thank you all so much. I am on the brink of a purchase. I kinda want the Quest 2 but really its too expensive for me. I shouldn't be buying either one. lol But I think I'm going to "just do it."

I really don't travel much at all so this unit would be more than satisfactory. I just thought it would be very convenient to have all the maps preloaded.

So...does that mean for cacheing, I would have a radius of about 90 feet to search?

No. With the compass page showing, the distance data field will show, say, 400 ft.. As you continue to walk in the direction indicated by the arrow, the field will suddenly change to 300 ft., then 200 ft. etc. until, after passing 100 ft., it will decrease in 10 ft. increments until you are 10 ft. away. Of course, you can also refer to the map screen and see exactly where you are with respect to the destination.

No. With the compass page showing, the distance data field will show, say, 400 ft.. As you continue to walk in the direction indicated by the arrow, the field will suddenly change to 300 ft., then 200 ft. etc. until, after passing 100 ft., it will decrease in 10 ft. increments until you are 10 ft. away. Of course, you can also refer to the map screen and see exactly where you are with respect to the destination.