Maintainence on other Cacher's Caches?

DocThomas thought I was crazy when I told him I wanted to go out and replace a cache that I knew was missing, even though it's not my cache. The discussion then turned to how often do Cachers perform maintainence on Caches that they do not own.

Do you carry replacement parts for fixing Caches as you're out on the trail (logbooks, pens, ziplock bags Etc.)?

Have you ever replaced another Cacher's Cache when you found it to be missing?

Have other Cachers ever fixed up one of your Caches as they were out on the trail?

I have very limited access to computers these days, so please don't rag on me for not searching out past topics on the subject.

I think it is perfectly fine to help out another cacher by doing maintenance. If I know the owner and they happen to be out of town, then I will stop by one of their caches that have damp logs or damaged containers and change out whatever it is that has gone wrong.

Want a perfect example of a network of friends? Here is my story of sacrificing to help someone out: Closed for Business

There was a cache, that had been disabled, near where I lived that needed some serious maintenance for an extended period of time. I repaired the cache and emailed the owner. He still ignored. I emailed again and asked if he would archive I would replace the cache. He archived, I replaced. Total time from first notice of need of maintenance to new cache, two months. Results new cache that provided a FTF. Also if a cache or TB in a cache needs a new Ziploc then I replace. You know it falls in the category of a random act of kindness. :laughing:

random act of kindness. :laughing:

Random act of kindness......that was the words I was looking for in my original post! I used "network of friends" in my post and I like the random act of kindness a little better.

So it is fine to help someone out and perform a random act of kindness on one of their caches, but as long as the owner is aware that you are helping.

Edited by Super_Nate

Why must the owner be aware, and must they be aware beforehand? I'm just about to go out and replace a disabled cache, but don't even know the owner. Of course it's nothing fancy or special, just an urban mint tin cache.

You don't have to know the owner...email them through their GC.com profile and tell them that you replaced their mint tin. If someone were to alter or change a cache that I hid I would want to know for two reasons: 1) So that I can be aware if it got moved in the replacement process ( I would ask the person who helped out) 2) So that I don't waste the time that I was going to use and replace it myself....if someone helped me out before I had a chance to fix it, then unless it was not replaced in its original location I don't have to go out of my way to change it myself.

I have only had someone fix one of my caches once. That time was because I was out of the area for a month and construction on a new Wal-Mart caused one of my caches to be muggled. I always maintain my own caches so don't get the impression that I am a lazy cacher...'cuz I'm not!

Good rule of thumb....let the owners know that you fixed one of their caches! Don't worry if you don't get an email in reply....you did your duty!

I often perform maintenance on caches such as drying and cleaning caches that have damp or wet contents, adding a new logbook when the logbook is full or soaked, or repairing or replacing the container if it was damaged by animal muggles (i.e., raccoons or bears), by human muggles or by space alien muggles. I do not even think twice about doing this, and we have on hand a supply of spare logbooks, cache notes and containers (ranging in size from bison tubes to ammo cans) for cache and container repair. I do always post a note to the cache listing page advising what I did and why, and, if I know the cache owner, I will send them a private email as well.

While I will remove junk swag (i.e., leaky batteries, broken McToys, torn and moldy Jack Chick comics, used tissues, half-eaten candy bars) and pack it out to be discarded, the one thing that I will not do is add good new swag to a container which was full of junk swag, as I feel that doing so would violate the deliberate choices made by the local caching community, which willfully chose to fill the cache over time with junk, and far be it from me to mess with community standards -- if a local geo community chooses to fill the cache containers in its province with junk, then bless them and let them walk their own path; it is not my job to interfere and play the role of swag police!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Do you carry replacement parts for fixing Caches as you're out on the trail (logbooks, pens, ziplock bags Etc.)?

A few nights ago I printed up a bunch of the typical log sheets for micros, and put them in a pill bottled (wrapped in black electrical tape) along with a bunch of small ziplock baggies. Since it all fits in the pill bottle and weighs nearly nothing, it won't be a problem at all to carry along. I'm now equipped to add a blank log, add/replace a bag, or even replace a damaged pill bottle if need be.

I too carry replacement pens, logbooks, freezer bags, etc. to help resuscitate caches in need of a little TLC. I also understand why Vinny & Sue Team choose not to add swag to caches that are filled with junk. However I have added some decent swag to nearly empty caches or caches that were full of junk.

I haven't replaced a missing or disbled cache but who knows? Under the right circumstances I might.

So far my only cache (still have an ammo box to place) hasn't required any kindness from the community, but I suspect that when it does someone might very well try to help out and fix whatever might be broken. A lot of people seem to do it.

I agree with the 'random acts of kindness' post! We are part of a community of geocachers and should help out in 'times of need'. We always carry some ziplocs, a couple of pencils, tape, along with our swag, just in case. I know that I would appreciate it if someone were to clean up my cache if it were in need of it. Nothing serious like replacing the hide spot for a 'better one' but drying out or cleaning up a bit are just seem like the right thing to do.

We have even went so far as to replace a wet moldy gladware container with a new lock'n'lock. The cache owner had posted in the notes that it needed replacing and we reckoned that since we were there and had a container just the right size with us, why not?

Dolphin has been known to replace one broken container. This situation might occur again in the future. :laughing: New logs? Sure. That keeps an active cache active, even if the owner has died. Of course, when the tyro puts a 'Needs Maintenance' on a cache ("I couldn't find it. It must need maintenance") that attribute might be there forever, despite random acts of kindness. There is nothing tha the circle of friends can do about that.

I do draw the line at replacing missing caches. Do I know what the hide was? Do I know exactly where it was? If the cache owner hasn't signed on in a year and a half, wouldn't it be better to have this cache archived, and replaced?

Its called Karma.

I have replaced containers on others caches if they have been close by to my home or I felt the location needed a cache.

We carry paper towels, extra pens, ziplock bags and an extra log book. Sounds like a lot but its not.

Perhaps your Karma should run over DocThomas's Dogma

I've only been caching for a few months but I noticed in the logs of a cache I wanted to find, several notes about its container leaking and so I picked up a new container on the way to the cache and swapped them.

there was a cache near me that was in a great location and had gotten wet and full of mildew (ick!), the owner ignored it for a while, then just disabled it and left it that way.

was driving me crazy that they wouldn't fix it.

I cleaned up all the items that could be saved, threw out the ruined stuff, fixed the container, and dried up the logbook with a hair dryer.

I always plan to bring new ziplock bags the next time when I'm caching and see ruined ones, and I always forget when I'm leaving the next time. :laughing:

I'm hoping to get golf pencils made as my signature item so I can leave them in every cache, fixing those with no writing utensil, and as a backup for those that have one.

Dolphin has been known to replace one broken container...

...I do draw the line at replacing missing caches. Do I know what the hide was? Do I know exactly where it was? If the cache owner hasn't signed on in a year and a half, wouldn't it be better to have this cache archived, and replaced?

I agree with you 100%! I too would never dream of replacing a missing cache, unless I had found the cache before, and knew exactly where the hide was, and what it was. One example: There was once a wonderful and very popular bison tube (a rather evil hide, as well) in a nearby city that was one of our favorites, owned by a wonderful local cacher. Eventually, neighborhood muggle kids found it, and kept either stealing or accidentally destroying the lower part (the body) of the bison tube, leaving only the cap and/or its anchor. I replaced the container and emplaced a new micro-logbook once or twice after such mugglings were reported on the cache listing page by finders, as I noticed that the cache owner was out of town at the time. However, the frequency of the vandalism finally got so bad that the owner, after having replaced the container himself two or three times, finally was forced to disable and archive the cache. However, I do not regret having replaced the container and logbook -- it gave another half-dozen cachers from out of town the chance to appreciate a really fine cache in the interim. :huh:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Dolphin has been known to replace one broken container. This situation might occur again in the future. :huh: New logs? Sure. That keeps an active cache active, even if the owner has died. Of course, when the tyro puts a 'Needs Maintenance' on a cache ("I couldn't find it. It must need maintenance") that attribute might be there forever, despite random acts of kindness. There is nothing tha the circle of friends can do about that.

I do draw the line at replacing missing caches. Do I know what the hide was? Do I know exactly where it was? If the cache owner hasn't signed on in a year and a half, wouldn't it be better to have this cache archived, and replaced?

I would concur with this post :(] I've done it all, replaced cracked containers, ziplock bags in the cache, logbooks (always leave the filled original log behind), cleaned up and wiped out containers etc... and I too would draw the line at replacing a missing cache, especially in the case of someone who obviously isn't going to log in again.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I have replaced and repaired caches if needed.

Here in Indiana the IndiGo Geocaching group has a GEO-911. This is a group of volunteers that carry repair kits with them while out caching. Also, you can send and E-mail to the IndiGo group if the owner can't be contacted to tell them about the cache needing repair.

This is a good concept that most owners would appreciate.

Kayak-Cowboy

Pekin, IN.

Have other Cachers ever fixed up one of your Caches as they were out on the trail?

Yes to all of the above. It is something we should all do to keep the quality of the caching community as well as the quality of the caches up. I appreciate it, I'm sure others do as well.

I agree. Fixing the cache is one thing and a very nice thing to do, but replacing it? Only if you already found it AND have the OK of the owner. Otherwise you don't know exactly how and where it was hidden, nor can you be certain the original is gone. There have been many instances of someone replacing a "missing" cache only to wind up with two caches at the location.

If your there, and have the needed supplies, why not?

Not knowing the hide before I got there, I doubt that I would be carrying the proper container. On caches near my home or regular routes, if it doesn't look like the owner can get there, I may make a special trip after popping off and email and letting them know that the need is covered.

I like the golf pencil idea. I got several short ballpoints at a truck show, and have already left two behind when a cache needed a fresh writing tool.

I agree. Fixing the cache is one thing and a very nice thing to do, but replacing it? Only if you already found it AND have the OK of the owner. Otherwise you don't know exactly how and where it was hidden, nor can you be certain the original is gone. There have been many instances of someone replacing a "missing" cache only to wind up with two caches at the location.

:( Oh...! Duh... Well, uh... does this mean that you would frown on my practice wherein, whenever I canot find a cache within two minutes of arriving at what my GPSr says is ground zero, I simply reach in my pocket and toss down a film canister with a logbook in it and then write in my online find log entry: "Cache was missing in action, as determined by a thorough one-minute search of ground zero. Replaced cache container with a film canister with new logbook and signed the log. Thanks for the find!" B):huh::DB)B)B)

B)B):huh:

While we do perform minor maintenance on caches, the one thing we're not likely to do is replace a missing cache--even if we've found it previously.

Caches go missing for a reason.

If the area is compromised then there is no reason to give that homeless dude or 12 year old kid another batch of toys to play with.

If the land steward picked it up I certainly don't want to tick him off by placing another one.

If it migrated, I don't want to put another cache in the area. Quite frankly, I think cache owners and previous finders are the worse ones to judge whether a cache is completely gone and not just moved. They have preconceived notions of where it is supposed to be and, unless they think about it might have been moved, they don't look further and assume it is gone.

If the cache owner doesn't feel strongly enough to replace the cache, then post an SBA. Let the area open up for another cache. Historical caches excepted, of course.

I carry duct tape, rubber bands, ziplocks, spare log books etc. with me. I've even been known to read a log where a micro is in need of a new log...and, knowing I'll be in the area later that day, printed out a log sheet to drop in as I go by. One I was caching in an area and noticed that a parking lot micro had been muggled, leaving only the log sheet behind. The first cacher to find it wrapped the log sheet in a plastic shopping bag as that was all they had. Once I arrived at the cache I ransacked my cachemobile for something to improvise a more waterproof solution. Not an official container (it was a small, thick ziplock) but a much better temporary solution.

... Quite frankly, I think cache owners and previous finders are the worse ones to judge whether a cache is completely gone and not just moved. They have preconceived notions of where it is supposed to be and, unless they think about it might have been moved, they don't look further and assume it is gone. ...

:lol: I get you're point, but if they can't make the call, who can? Should we just archive every cache that goes missing?

... Quite frankly, I think cache owners and previous finders are the worse ones to judge whether a cache is completely gone and not just moved. They have preconceived notions of where it is supposed to be and, unless they think about it might have been moved, they don't look further and assume it is gone. ...

I always look - cache migration is a real problem on a few of my hides.

and.....

I have done maintenance on several caches. I have replaced a few broken containers, added zip locks, replaced a cache note, added a new log book etc.... Just the neighborly thing to do.

what about caches that have been picked up by the land steward, have a cache log stating such but yet the owner does nothing about it?

Would you put a new cache in the area, with permission of land steward this time?

Would it be allowable by GC even if it violates the .1 mile rule?

My favrotie example of this random act of kindness was on a Renegade Knight cache. sometimes RK does not have all his orrs in the water. On this occasion he was planting an ammo can cache at a scenic waterfalls. Somehow he got lost and never made it to the waterfalls. He planted the cache wherever at least with the correct coordinates. when he got home (this was at least 150 miles from his home. He remembered that he hadn't put anything in the cache, not even the logbook. He mentioned all these things in his cache description. One of the first finders moved the cache to the waterfall added the corrected coordinates and a logbook. As time went on each new finder added something to the caches contents until it was a very well stocked cache. Now that is a community response to a cache that needed major maintenance. :)

Edited by Night Stalker

I found a cache today, sitting out in plain sight. Since I did not know if this was the cache owner's intention --construction work is being done in the area -- I left it where I found it and emailed the owner to let them know where I found the cache. This gives them the option of moving it or leaving it where it is. I figure, it is their cache -- they know what they want done with it.

As far as replacing a non-working pen, or a stub of a pencil, I believe in random acts of kindness with a whole heart and would hope someone would be that kind to my poor cache if need be.

I have replaced caches that have been destroyed because it was either very active cache or that the location was too cool to not have a cache. Tried locating the owner through GC and note posts but was unsuccessful.

The problem I found was getting the "needs maintenance" attribute removed, but the ILReviewer was able to do that.

How about maintaining the TB/Geocoin inventory? There are many caches advertising TBs but there haven't been one for ages.

dad2jnk

I've replaced pens, logs and torn ziplocks when needed and also removed soggy and yucky stuff and dried out containers. I've taken nothing and left several items to help replenish a cache. I just see it as part of geocaching. It seems like the right thing to do and makes the cache nicer for the next person and can save the owner a trip. If I'm already at the cache site why not do minor repairs and save the owner the time and gas to go do maintenance that I can do while I'm already there?

I also carry some supplies for repair.

One time (on a multi cache) I walked up to the site and the sheet with the coords for the next stage was laying in the middle of the road! I repackaged it up in a 35 mm cannister I had in my pack and fixed it all up. I let the owner know and they seemed very appreciative.

Turtlebug

No.

No.

No.

I have very limited access to computers these days, so please don't rag on me for not searching out past topics on the subject.

You're lazy. :D

I carry extra supplies such as log sheets, pens and pencils, pencil sharpeners, and baggies and spruce up a cache that might need minor maintenance.

I've replaced missing cache containers after reading previous logs and felt I had a fairly good idea what the container would have been and where the cache had been hidden.

I've performed cache maintenance and cache replacements at the request of cache owners.

My question is this: is there a procedure for dealing with caches that are still present but the owners no longer geocache?

50sumtin

I most always carry extra supplies such as log sheets, pencils, pencil sharpeners, extra swag and baggies to spruce up a cache that might need minor maintenance. This is especially true if I am going for a cache that is a bit off the beaten track and has not been logged in some time.

I've replaced several broken containers which I found or were noted as broken in logs before I went looking. I also replaced one missing cache container after reading previous logs that said the container was missing but they had bagged the log and swag and rehid it in the spot described. I than emailed the cache owner telling what I had done who thanked me.

I would not replace a missing cache even if I had a fairly good idea where the container would have been hidden but have emailed the owner to let them know it was missing at least in my mind (was wrong once)

If a cache is hidden in a nice area and has poor or little swag I often upgrade it. I've also performed cache maintenance and cache container upgrading at the request of a cache owner.

I emailed the owner of a cache near here to ask who they contacted about permission to place, because I wanted to place in a different area of the same park.

Turns out their email address wasn't even valid anymore, and after looking, they hadn't even logged into the website for years now.

The cache is still going strong without any interaction from the owner, I looked back through the web logs, and every time a new logbook was needed or ziplock, a cacher just did it.

The only real problem is that there is a big list of missing travelbugs that went AWOL from the cache and were never marked missing since the owner is now long gone.

I've only found a couple of caches I thought needed some maintenance. One micro I found had a wet logbook although it was in a plastic bag, but I didn't have any supplies with me to fix it so when I logged it online, I in my note it needed some maintenance.

Another one smelled like hot sauce because its theme was hot sauce and peppers and it had alot of small bottles of Tabasco in it. That cache was later muggled and disabled and hasn't come back, so I guess it doesn't matter now.

I've performed minor maintenence on a few caches that were near my home. There was one cache where the container was cracked. I replaced the container and noted it in the log. Two other caches were literally out in the open and scattered. I replaced the ziplock baggie in one and rescued a TB that might have been lost otherwise. In the other, I simply rehid the container as best as I could at the same coordinates.

I usually practice "random acts of chaos" at Wally world..but when geocaching/letterboxing I do unto others....

Containers get replaced all the time. People will replace a missing container if they want the cache to remain alive whether, or not, the owner is active. It's just not that big of a deal.

If the owner doesn't like how their cache got replaced, well, they had to go out there anyway didn't they? If the owner is non-responsive or inactive then the community will keep the cache alive until they get bored or tired of it then someone will log an SBA.

All this consternation over replacing a $5.00, or less, container seems far too silly to me. Even for the throw-down micro used only to claim a find.

And so what if there ends up being two containers at one site? Every two-container instance I have experienced has resulted in additional interest in the posted logs. A mystery develops and then gets solved. For the most part it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I've seen or been part of a lot of container replacements and have never seen or heard that anyone had a problem with it. Here in the forums one problem seems like a big deal but when you put it in the perspective of the hundreds, or thousands, of container replacements by non-owners each year it seems hardly worth talking about.

If it feels appropriate to replace a container – just do it.

My question is this: is there a procedure for dealing with caches that are still present but the owners no longer geocache?

There are a number of ways to address the issue, depending on the state of the cache, but they pretty much boil down to involuntary adoption or archival of the cache.

The place to start, I believe, is to attempt to contact the owner, and/or to contact your local reviewer, whether by a private message or by posting "needs maintenance" or (in extreme cases) SBA notes.

Have done almost all the above: replaced bags, pens, logs and even a container or two.

I've found at least three destroyed caches and reported them, but I concur heartily in the comments about not replacing a seemingly lost or destroyed cache. I have found one or two caches that did not match the cache page description and/or hints, and almost certainly were duplicate caches.

The only real problem is that there is a big list of missing travelbugs that went AWOL from the cache and were never marked missing since the owner is now long gone.

If neither the cache owner nor the TB owner is willing to mark the bugs as missing, you can go over their heads, and contact Eartha (over at the TB forum). S/He will review them, and move them to an 'unknown' location if such action seems appropriate.