Sirf

superflatz

Ditto what the others have said. I'm a new 60CSx owner, and just took it out caching the first time this weekend. Never lost a lock, and often power on to signal lock is less than 10 seconds. It's great not having to worry about tree cover anymore!

well I got the 60CSX and sometimes it takes more than 10 mintues and still havent got a locked on a SAT signal!!! why is this? i live in a city and of course I have a clear view of the sky and my battery are fresh...I would say that average...it takes like 2-4 mintues to get a signal lock

Ditto what the others have said. I'm a new 60CSx owner, and just took it out caching the first time this weekend. Never lost a lock, and often power on to signal lock is less than 10 seconds. It's great not having to worry about tree cover anymore!

well I got the 60CSX and sometimes it takes more than 10 mintues and still havent got a locked on a SAT signal!!! why is this? i live in a city and of course I have a clear view of the sky and my battery are fresh...I would say that average...it takes like 2-4 mintues to get a signal lock

I have never had my 60cx take more than a minute to get lock with the newest unit software (3.00) and chipset software(2.70). I do remember it sometimes taking longer with one of the older software combo's installed.

It does take a about 45seconds to a minute to get lock inside my house or in my car when it's been off for a few hours or more, but if it's been on recently it only takes about 5-10seconds to get lock.

10 seconds would be the best case scenario, if the unit had been on recently and not moved far from its last lock. On average the time will be longer. I should have clarified that in my original post. Usually there's a solid lock in 1 or 2 minutes, rarely does it take longer. If you're in a city, the buildings are probably interfering with the signal, and reflection is most likely hindering a lock too. Just as a test I just turned mine on sitting here in my bedroom, it hadn't been on all day today, and I had a lock in about 42 seconds. I turned it off then back on, and had a lock in about 6 seconds. I can live with that. :huh:

I was going to voice my remaining complaints about my 60cx. It usually takes between 3 and 5 minutes or so to lock and I rarely get an accuracy reading below +/-20'. So I just went outside to time it. Last time I had the unit on was a couple hours ago. Here's what happened:

I get out in the middle of the street and hit on, and start my stopwatch. The sign in screen clears in 9seconds and I have a lock of about 300', which drifts down to 10'. ?!!

I realize I had turned my WAAS off (I usually have it on) so I think maybe that's the problem. I turn WAAS on and get a WAAS lock and it stays at 10'. I turn the unit off and turn it on again and the screen clears with a lock of about 30', which drifts down to 10' with WAAS. Hmm.

The variable factor here may be that I usually start and operate the unit inside my car, but then sometimes not and I have hardly ever got a 10' reading. It is almost always around 22' One thing seems consistant. My EPE always seems to read the same with or without WAAS, but I know WAAS does increase accuracy regardless. <scratching head>

10' is about as good as you are going to see even with WAAS on. When you have WAAS on are the D's on your bars. That would indicate that it had dowloaded the almenac necessary to correct the satellite positioning. I use a 60CS and am looking forward to getting my new 60CX. Even though I normally get a + or- 15' with the 60Cs I am getting tired of poor satellite reception under the trees.

10 seconds would be the best case scenario, if the unit had been on recently and not moved far from its last lock. On average the time will be longer. I should have clarified that in my original post. Usually there's a solid lock in 1 or 2 minutes, rarely does it take longer. If you're in a city, the buildings are probably interfering with the signal, and reflection is most likely hindering a lock too. Just as a test I just turned mine on sitting here in my bedroom, it hadn't been on all day today, and I had a lock in about 42 seconds. I turned it off then back on, and had a lock in about 6 seconds. I can live with that. :huh:

So I went outside and test out my unit and time it

The time was 10:10:56 PM

Got a lock at 10:11:26 PM

So that is 30 seconds I think

I am still in the same area...I don't move far at all...its less than 200metres

I am outside my balcony 10 stories high...when I test my unit...I was on the ground 1st story.

I get a reading of 5 metres accuracy, once I turn off the unit and turn back on 1 minute later...it takes about 0 second to get a lock back

10' is about as good as you are going to see even with WAAS on. When you have WAAS on are the D's on your bars. That would indicate that it had dowloaded the almenac necessary to correct the satellite positioning. I use a 60CS and am looking forward to getting my new 60CX. Even though I normally get a + or- 15' with the 60Cs I am getting tired of poor satellite reception under the trees.

I have a GPSMAP76... It works perfectly for us in every aspect EXCEPT reception under tree cover... I'm thinking about getting either the 76CX or the 60CX as my next unit. I'll see how many more issues I have in the next month or so, but I'll get my wife a new Sirf capable unit for Xmas if we have more issues... We did ~3 caches under HEAVY cover this last week where we walked the wrong way because the unit had such a bad signal I could walk ~5 minutes before the course/speed would update... Very frustrating. The accuracy is more than enough though, so the only thing that makes me want to upgrade is the Sirf ability. I actually like the B+W screen on my current unit.

The 60CX would be nice though with USB transfers, a color screen, and auto routing if were ever got maps. But right now the only thing we "need" would be Sirf.