Guilt

Bad_CRC

Do you watch the caches you've visited to see that someone finds them after you?

It's probably just because I'm a noob, but I always check the caches I've visited to make sure they don't go DNF after I visit them, because I think people would think it was my fault, like I didn't cover it well enough, or I let muggles see me find it, etc. As long as someone finds one after me, I figure I'm safe from guilt.

And if I see that a cache was muggled right after someone else visited it, I tend to wonder if they did those things.

anyone else ever think this? or do I just have a case of muggle-paranoia? :wub:

I have experienced this and spoken to others that have. As you gain experience and confidence it goes away. Just be observant when you reach for a cache and replace it the same way you found it. Of course you should be aware of muggles and wait to replace when you aren't being observed. Don't worry, you'll do fine.

I do it too CRC, but I'm getting over it I even went back to one because there were DNFs after I had been there, and I was FTF. I found it in a completely different spot and felt awful thinking I must have had a brainfreeze to have put it way over there! But it turns out it the owner had moved it to be more accurate with the co-ords. It's very cool that you care what happens to the cache after you've been there. I am trying to place caches with an awareness that people can't always remember exactly how it was positioned or what it was covered with.

Edited by Kacky

I watch all caches I've found, for a variety of reasons.

I do pay attention to LTFs. So far I have 12 (not counting some recent finds that probably are still there.)

Some of these I know absolutely weren't my fault. One or two I wonder if I gave away the location. And most of them I believe were just the normal bad luck of having a muggle find them through no fault of my own.

Don't worry obsessively about what people will think if you are LTF. Cachers know that stuff happens.

I'm watching nearly every cache I've ever found. More for the sake of curiousity. I like to see who else finds it and what their experience was.

I'll agree with Brian. Every so often, I go through the caches I've found to see who's been there, and what they thought. You learn which new cachers are hunting the area. I can think of only one LTF I had. A badly placed micro in a guard rail at a little league field. :wub:

Do you watch the caches you've visited to see that someone finds them after you?

I usually put a cache I've found on my watch list for a brief time. Mostly because there's a certain sense of connection to the person who finds it next (as well as the one who found it before me). I'll often pull up that persons profile just to see who they are.

Yeah, I like to look back at my favorite finds to see what others thought of them.

Sometimes, I've really enjoyed a cache, especially a multi, that hasn't been visited for a while. Maybe because it was too remote or because people thought it would be too difficult. So, I write REALLY good comments about it, and look back to see if I stirred up interest. And sometimes I do!

I only watch the interesting caches but I browse the search page regularly to see who's been finding what in my area. I seldom hunt in high muggle areas so I don't worry much about it.

My only LTF I'm convinced was still there, and may still be. It's in PA at a rest area, I was in a hurry before the trip and just downloaded co-ordinates into my GPSr without even glancing at the page. I found it easily, logged it, then noticed people were posting DNF's both before and after my visit, with the owner then archiving it, I think without even checking it. Anyone in the area who wants to check it out I'll tell you were I found it, it just bugs me thinking it was archived as missing even though I found it, like the owner thought I was lying or something. (Although he never contacted me in any manner).

The cache was Reynoldville Stretch

Edited by Cpt.Blackbeard

I only watch a few interesting caches. I'll usually check back on my previous DNFs after awhile to see what's going on with them, mostly out of curiosity.

I've only been last-to-find on a handful of caches (to the best of my knowledge, none of them were my fault), and I don't spend much time worrying that someone might have seen me or maybe I re-hid the cache poorly or maybe I did something else that would get the cache discovered. In my experience, the overwhelming majority of people who think you look weird digging around in the bushes don't bother going to see what you were digging for.

Don't stress over it. As a cache hider, I've never had reason to fault the last person who found any of my caches that disappeared or otherwise got plundered. As long as you hid the cache properly and weren't too obvious, you've done your part.

I only watch the interesting caches but I browse the search page regularly to see who's been finding what in my area. I seldom hunt in high muggle areas so I don't worry much about it.

My only LTF I'm convinced was still there, and may still be. It's in PA at a rest area, I was in a hurry before the trip and just downloaded co-ordinates into my GPSr without even glancing at the page. I found it easily, logged it, then noticed people were posting DNF's both before and after my visit, with the owner then archiving it, I think without even checking it. Anyone in the area who wants to check it out I'll tell you were I found it, it just bugs me thinking it was archived as missing even though I found it, like the owner thought I was lying or something. (Although he never contacted me in any manner).

I live on I-80 and go past there occationally, I'll check it out. It's goldsnoop-pa and he has tons of caches, doesn't suprise me that he just archived it and didn't check on it. :laughing:

I live on I-80 and go past there occationally, I'll check it out. It's goldsnoop-pa and he has tons of caches, doesn't suprise me that he just archived it and didn't check on it. :unsure:

Thank you! I would have gone back myself if it weren't a full days drive from home. :laughing:

Where I found it at, the GPS took me to the Northwest corner of the building. Standing on the edge of the sidewalk, there was a large plant whose limb/leaf reached almost to the sidewalk. I took my foot and raised the leaf, and there was the cache. I slipped it out, signed and replaced it in the same place.

It's probably just because I'm a noob, but I always check the caches I've visited to make sure they don't go DNF after I visit them, because I think people would think it was my fault, like I didn't cover it well enough, or I let muggles see me find it, etc. As long as someone finds one after me, I figure I'm safe from guilt.

And if I see that a cache was muggled right after someone else visited it, I tend to wonder if they did those things.

anyone else ever think this? or do I just have a case of muggle-paranoia? :huh:

Yes, I do watch a found cache if I believe I might have been spotted or believe that, for some reason, I couldn't return the cache to the hiding spot the way it was intended.

I also watch any cache I place a geocoin into in order to get a good handle on when such things disappear if that should happen.

I was LTF on 3 caches in 2 weeks recently :lol: :

The next seekers for one cache were attacked by a swarm of bees. Temporarily disabled pending winter, but I just looked at it and it's been reactivted.

One was archived due to new construction.

The third was pulled because of new permit requirements: DNR charging a fee for cache placement permits.

My point is: none were my fault. One should not be too hasty in assumptions or blame about what kills a cache. Simply check the logs and you may see why it was archived/disabled.

anyone else ever think this? or do I just have a case of muggle-paranoia? :)

I'm fairly new to all this, but yes, I always put caches I've found (or failed to find) on a watch list. Equally, as soon as anyone else finds them, and logs a find dated after I was there, I delete them from the watchlist. It only takes a couple of seconds, and leaves me confident I didn't leave the cache bedly hidden.

So far, I've one LTF, and one DNF where I though I had disturbed the cache from its location, into greenery down a river bank) where the next person who found it found it after a hard search, probably menaing I had knocked it out of place.

I also occasionally go back through my find log, just out of interest to see how ofteninteresting caches have been found.