Unknown mystery item found in NJ woods

KBer

Today I completed the Township Of Hanover Central Park Cache geocache in Hanover Township (Whippany), NJ which is in Morris County.

The cache is located within 100 feet of the Patriots Path and perhaps 250 feet from a small stream. While searching for the cache I came across an unusual item. It was a potato sliced in half and the two halves were covered by a yellow powder. There was also a small pile of the yellow powder nearby. It looks like it has been there for a few days, yet the insects and animals have not touched the potato. I was careful not to touch the powder or potato.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Does anyone know the purpose of someone taking the time and effort to placing this item? I do not believe it will be for hunting purposes, it is too close to the trails and perhaps 300 feet from a traveled road.

Any insights would be appreciated.

9094575d-e1d3-4a5a-82c3-c36ce3a1bd61.jpg

acfb0e6b-aac3-4af9-bae6-1df06753daa8.jpg

16f1e45d-cda6-4b9f-8dda-cca58efce5b2.jpg

Edited by KBer

I know I am probably more paranoid and suspicious than most people, but to me that looks like poison set out to do damage to passing animals, and possibly passing children. Stuff like that freaks me out...I imagine some craven killer lurking (or watching on a hidden video camera) and waiting to get us as we walk in ignorance and bliss towards the cache...

Yes, poison. It could have killed me too. I always eat strange items off the forest floor, and so do all the children I know. :wub:

(Actually, rat bait/poison did cross my mind. Eating it didn't)

Is there any picnicking there? Maybe someone tossed it away after dropping their food on the ground. Maybe they use powdered cheese. It's a mystery all right!

Thanks for the replies. I did get the coordinates for the potato. It is not from a picnic of anything like that. It was deliberately placed there, there is additional yellow powder besides the food stuffs.

Any other insights or reasonable speculation would be appreciated.

This yellowy substance looks like Yellow sulfer tpowder to me.

Sulfur is a yellow mineral that quite, often occurs in nature in powder form. It can, under pressure, bond to water, as in mineral springs or mix into the earth, as in mud baths. Normally sulfur is expunged from under the ground through the craters of venting volcanoes, where it is spread around in chunky blocks.

The crescent Moon nearest Autumn Equinox signals the beginning of a new cycle of creation according to many ancient traditions. So I can offer up a few cultures that may utilize Sulfer powder..

This 7TH MOON CELEBRATION, NEW MERCURY, MARS/URANUS TANGO

The appearance of the crescent Moon before the Autumn equinox signals the beginning of a ten day period celebrated in five world cultures. Traditional Cherokees, Chinese, Jews, Hindus, and followers of the Greek Mysteries (Pagans) all believe this time each year is when the world is recreated. The more they get to the core during these ten days the more they are empowered to recreate our world. ( Yellow sulfer powder figures in many of these traditions during this time period.

1. Mabon, or the Fall or Autumnal Equinox, celebrates the end of harvest. Again we find ourselves with a day and night equal. On this day, which will fall somewhere between the dates above, the Sun again passes the equator, this time on its trek south. At this time the "chase of Lugh" ends with the felling of the last shaft of grain. It is within this last shaft that Lugh has hidden, but with His death, His sacrifice, we live through His abundance. This is time for thanksgiving, evaluation and meditation. Take stock in what you've received and prepare for the dark days Many practitioners of the Wiccan religion buy Yellow Sulfer Powder (Herbs 1 Lb Sulfer Powder (Brimstone) for 7.95 )to dispel or prevent a hex from being placed on them; this yellow powder also destroys an enemy`s power over you. Someone may have been doing some ritual magic for the new year. Dispelling & protection ceremonies usually involve projections into something like a potato or Apple.

2.The Seventh Moon and

Ten Day-Nine Nights Festival of the CHEROKEE

The Cherokee call this the Great New Moon and believe it is when the world is recreated each year. The remarkable parallel between this Cherokee traditional belief, , and corresponding celebrations of other diverse world cultures.

The New Moon closest to Autumn Equinox is the 7th New Moon of the zodiacal year, the 7th after the Spring Equinox.. This is when the Cherokee traditionally begin their new year festival called Nuetiegwa, the Great New Moon Ceremony. The more they get to the core during these ten the more they are empowered to recreate our world.

The beginning date of this celebration period depends on the Moon being far enough separated from the Sun to appear as a small crescent in the western sky. The Moon cycle becomes viable and seeds are best sown on all levels after the crescent New Moon becomes visible. The more there is awareness of personal and world shadow and need the more spiritual power is invoked for healing and renewal.

Indigenous peoples have from ancient times recognized the power of the Moon. In all the old cultures the New Moon is celebrated when the waxing crescent first appears in the western sky. Life force is renewed then and all outward activities are supported by the New Moon energy.

Cherokee women dance at this New Moon from the time the crescent is sighted until it sets on the horizon. The womens dance is believed to help the world be reborn and ground (embody)the new energies of the time. The Cherokee call this the Great New Moon Ceremony - or Nuetiegwa, the Big Medicine Moon.

Numerous parallels exist between Jewish and Cherokee celebration and religious tradition. Some say the Cherokee are a lost tribe of the Jews. It is more likely that the two cultures share a common understanding of the cosmic order of creation.

The Great New Moon Ceremony begins a spiritual renewal and healing which culminates 10 days later in the celebration of divine union called Atohuna, the Friends Made Ceremony. The intervening days are a time for healing relationships, for making amends with friends, and opening our hearts to wellspring of love within.

September 30th - Day 3 is ruled by Mercury. A wake honors Aesclepius, the god of healing, this day in the Eleusinian Mystery School. Mercury with the caduceus is the Roman god of healing. Health giving fruits of the harvest are shared this day. Potatoes are prominent. Seven sacred herbs are gathered this day by the Cherokee to make their purging/healing black drink. Seven Cherokee women began a 7 day fast to bring revelations to their tribe.

Like Native America's Ghost Dancers they let themselves fully feel the pain within and release through deep breathing, chanting, and maybe even some emotive groaning as they move clockwise / Sunwise around the releasing circle. The combination of prolonged deep breathing while diving deeply into each agonizing feeling can effect this emotional clearing. (Emotion cannot be repressed while breathing deeply.) It may be helpful to drink lots of pure water today to help release emotional toxins. Toxins are sometimes projected into potatoes or other vegetable/fruit.

Day 9 of the Mysteries is called Plemo Chori, the "Pourings of Plenty." A ritual drama called the Vision of the Shining One is enacted in a subterranean grotto.

Today the Cherokee Chief climbs to the top of some special place and sings praises to Yowa the Creator. Cherokee men then chant and beat around clockwise with white sycamore rods to clear away evil spirits. The way is cleared for the kindling of the sacred New Fire on the day following.

Day 10 - The Cherokee call this day Atohuna, the Friends Made Ceremony. A New Fire is kindled and vows of eternal friendship are made in the presence of Yowa the Creator. As with the Jews, this is the day held most sacred in the Cherokee calendar year. The New Fire started this day was kept lit in the council lodge through the year until the following Atohuna New Fire Ceremony. The spirit of this holy time was perpetuated by that living flame throughout the year in temple and home.

Some key observances for this holy day period:

1) Dancing while the crescent is visible the first few evenings

2) Water immersion on Day 2 to purify & let go worldly attachments

3) Evening meditation facing north toward the pole star

4) Fasting, evening meals only (a Hindu tradition), vegetarian diet

5) Going to a mountaintop on the 9th Day for picnic and communion, (Yellow Sulfer Powder can be used to dispel negativity ( Could be on the Potato)

6) Fasting on Day 10 with reverence to the Creator

7) Deep breathing to energize and integrate new realizations

8) Exercise leading each stretch with a deep breath to release stored physical and emotional tensions and open to spirit

first of all.. if you don't know what it is.. why the hell would you put it in your mouth????

There was no suggestions that anyone would put this in their mouth. In fact, not knowing what the substance was I would not even touch it. I used the bottom of my boot or a stick

Is there a deer stand nearby? Looks like someone was laying out bait...

Good thought, It was the first idea that I considered but then discounted. The potato was found within 100 feet of a very popular trail, in a strictly no hunting area and only about 280 - 300 feet from a major road and office building. It is also very close to a residential neighborhood. Not a place that a hunter even an illegal hunter would set up shop. The person would get caught pretty quickly and get themselves into a bunch of trouble quickly. Further whatever the substance it seems not to attract animals or insects. The potato was in pretty good shape, not being touched by any animal.

Why doesnt someone go over there with gloves and a shovel and remove what ever that is. Why leave it there if it could perhaps poison an animal. I would have removed...I dont understand how someone would just leave that there.

Also it looks like it had to be placed there that day...as potatoes turn brown quite rapidly once cut.

Point well taken, but here are more thoughts. First I do not know what the sustance is, so I would not handle it myself. Also there are some deer baiting programs around our area, so perhaps it has something to do with that, I doubt it but that is a consideration.

In a excess of caution I will report it to the police. Perhaps they know more about it or have seen this before. It is probably innocuous, no need to raise the alarm, but let the local police department decide what the next steps are.

I agree with KBer, notify the authorities when this kind of incident occurs.

Where I live, there are several rights-of-way and easements which allow certain activities by certain individuals. Recently it was noted that there was a bag of unknown origin and unknown contents located adjacent to electrical towers. Though most might have ignored it, the police were called and they investigated. No dead bodies or bombs, but these days, one can't be too careful.

Thanks also to chstress, I've learned something new, and may very well explain the potato.

I've learned alot from the Geocaching community, and am very grateful.

Goodness gracious! What hysterical frenzy are we frothing ourselves into? Terrorists might be leaving WMA alongside Patriot's Path! Call Homeland Security!

Sorta looks like a bad batch of mofongo to me. They weren't there when I found the cache, but if someone tried serving me mofongo that looked like that, I'd probably toss them on the trail myself.

Saw a bag of headless chickens at a rest area on the PIP once. "Santeria" thought myself. What's the crime here? Littering? The bad mofongo will disappear quickly, even with the annatto sauce.

Much ado about nothing.

first of all.. if you don't know what it is.. why the hell would you put it in your mouth????

There was no suggestions that anyone would put this in their mouth. In fact, not knowing what the substance was I would not even touch it. I used the bottom of my boot or a stick

check post #3.. i wasn't talking to you! :huh:

Its getting really strange. I was hiking in Troy Meadow yesterday morning and saw the same thing. These appear to be young yukon gold potatos though. I think KBer's were russet.

151275f2-9b89-481e-99cf-774cd1f76146.jpg

Then a little further on I saw some bananas (sorry about the focus):

4364a3f9-60c1-4e45-b971-9e62aa92e59f.jpg

Later in the day Skigirl and I went for a hike at Pyramid Mtn where we saw:

Apples:

7cfbb767-a1b2-41d3-85ad-4dd0b90504c5.jpg

and tomatillos:

328b71d8-f8ab-4382-a0d0-d9e1029c06cf.jpg

and this morning a slice of bread at Kakeout Reservoir:

5333de88-698e-49a5-a1a6-09ee09b71794.jpg

and salad dressing:

628adcb6-4d1e-457e-873f-bdfae8bc0020.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Ken--Being that you found the item on the Autumnal Equinox or very close in time , I will let you in on a little secret. The potato was cut in perfect halves. The equinox signifies the day on which day light and night time are equal, 12 hours each. There are those who offer up "sacrifices" on that day. I believe it is Wiccan or something like that. I do not know much about it but the offering of produce and farm products is part of it, for this is also the harvest time. I hope this makes some sense to you. You can google Autumnal Equinox and superstitions and perhaps get a better answer.

Ken--Being that you found the item on the Autumnal Equinox or very close in time , I will let you in on a little secret. The potato was cut in perfect halves. The equinox signifies the day on which day light and night time are equal, 12 hours each. There are those who offer up "sacrifices" on that day. I believe it is Wiccan or something like that. I do not know much about it but the offering of produce and farm products is part of it, for this is also the harvest time. I hope this makes some sense to you. You can google Autumnal Equinox and superstitions and perhaps get a better answer.

How does that explain the salad dressing?

It looks to me as if someone is attempting to poison wildlife, and using the potato sprinkled with poison as bait.

I'd probably report it to someone. I'm not sure what kindof park it is, but at the very least it's suspicious, and possibly dangerous. Being that far off the path, it may even have been done on purpose (maybe they are having trouble with some kindof pest). I'd probably still report it as suspicious though.

Edited by ThePropers

It looks to me as if someone is attempting to poison wildlife, and using the potato sprinkled with poison as bait.

What wild life actually eats potatoes?

A quick Google search indicates that some insects (especially the Colorado potato bug) and very few mammals eat potatoes. Deer, squirrels, chipmunks, rats, mice possums, skunks and raccoons, really don't dig raw potatoes. However, they all seem to have a thing for potato chips!

Pigs and Llamas do seem to like spuds, but I don't think they are problem in North Jersey.

Some interesting facts I found out about potatoes:

* The white potato belongs to the night shade family, and is in the same group as tomatoes, tobacco, chile pepper, eggplant and the petunia.

* At high elevations of Bolivia, the potato can because extremely toxic and can kill the Llamas that eat them.

* The potato is about 80% water and 20% solids.

* World's largest potato chip was produced by the Pringle's Company in Jackson, TN in 1990. It measures 23" x 14.5".

* An 8 ounce baked or boiled potato has only about 100 calories.

* The average American eats about 124 pounds of potatoes per year while Germans eat about twice as much.

* In 1974, an Englishman named Eric Jenkins grew 370 pounds of potatoes from one plant.

* Thomas Jefferson gets the credit for introducing "french fries" to America when he served them at a White House dinner.

* According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest potato grown was 7 pounds 1 ounce by J. East (1953) and J. Busby (1982) of Great Britain.

BTW KBer, was this potato baked, boiled or raw?

Its getting really strange. I was hiking in Troy Meadow yesterday morning and saw the same thing. These appear to be young yukon gold potatos though. I think KBer's were russet.

151275f2-9b89-481e-99cf-774cd1f76146.jpg

Then a little further on I saw some bananas (sorry about the focus):

4364a3f9-60c1-4e45-b971-9e62aa92e59f.jpg

Later in the day Skigirl and I went for a hike at Pyramid Mtn where we saw:

Apples:

7cfbb767-a1b2-41d3-85ad-4dd0b90504c5.jpg

and tomatillos:

328b71d8-f8ab-4382-a0d0-d9e1029c06cf.jpg

and this morning a slice of bread at Kakeout Reservoir:

5333de88-698e-49a5-a1a6-09ee09b71794.jpg

and salad dressing:

628adcb6-4d1e-457e-873f-bdfae8bc0020.jpg

On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese.

I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table, and onto the floor,

And then my poor meatball, rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden, and under a bush,

And then my poor meatball, was nothing but mush.

The mush was as tasty as tasty could be,

And early next summer, it grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered with beautiful moss,

It grew lovely meatballs, and tomato sauce.

So if you eat spaghetti, all covered with cheese,

Hold on to your meatballs, and don't ever sneeze!

:antenna: Probably part of Weird NJ offerings to the Wiccan gods.

Naw, Propers, very few Wiccans are dangerous. But I'll ask my sister, when I remember.

Most animals do not bother potato plants because the leaves are poisonous (as are tomato leaves).

Birth control for deer has proven to be a fruitless (?) venture so far, and invloves injections. (Unless someone wants to volunteer to help fit the deer with prophylactics.) I've never read of pills for deer. And who's going to remind them to take them regularly?

APB:::

Be on the lookout for the following individual. Approx. 200ft tall, greenish complexion, and extremely joyful!

Suspect is armed with 7 essential vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidant power!

Last seen passing through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then exiting the Lincoln Tunnel.

jolly_green_giant_1.jpg

Edited by Jerseytrex

Naw, Propers, very few Wiccans are dangerous.

True. In fact, the incidence of Wiccans who are dangerous, and the ways in which they are dangerous, are pretty much exactly the same as the incidence and ways for Christians.

My first thought was poison, but (as a mineral collecter) I have to agree that it sure looks an awful lot like sulfur. You can test this by mixing it with charcoal and saltpeter and seeing if you end up with gunpowder. It worked fine for Cptn. Kirk <_<

Actually, sulfur has a pretty distinctive smell, should be easy to identify, though you'd have to sniff it up close - not a great idea if it's rat actually poison.

I'm not aware of any Wiccan rituals that calls for sulfer-n-spuds, but that's hardly conclusive - every Wiccan coven and solitaire has their own specific rituals. The proximity to Mabon is pretty suggestive, so some pagan ritual is very possible.

If it concerns you (e.g. you think it may be poison) by all means remove it. If it is for a ritual, it has long since served its purpose. As for reporting it to authorities, I wouldn't bother. If they do pay any attention, they're as likely as not to overreact and attribute it to a secret evil church operating in the local forest, commiting all manner of weird acts, and next thing you know we'll be reading about yet another Satanic Panic on Witchvox.

The potato is probably one of the five things found in nature that deer will not eat so all those deer poisoning theories are out. I think the yellow powder particles are alien eggs and the potato is there to nourish them when they hatch. Looking at the particle size there must be close to a half million aliens per half potato thus I expect the alien population of North Jersey to double or even triple once they hatch.

APB:::

Be on the lookout for the following individual. Approx. 200ft tall, greenish complexion, and extremely joyful!

Suspect is armed with 7 essential vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidant power!

Last seen passing through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then exiting the Lincoln Tunnel.

jolly_green_giant_1.jpg

And for those who don't know, this guy lives in CT!