Weekend Shootout?

Criminal

It's a good thing I re-read the whole thread. I wasn't sure which day (the 30th) and the time (Noon).

- Don't worry about bringing ammo for my pistols (.40 and .45). Only stuff I made myself goes through them and I have plenty.

- Eye protection is not optional in my book, especially if we shoot any bowling pins. I might have an extra pair of ear muffs too.

- pdx: what are the coordinates of your front yard? Is sounds as if this crew has the cure for that orange infestation.

I was thinking of knocking off two nearby (relatively) caches while down there:

Rolling Thunder 1 (Capitol Peak) and The Green Beret Hide Site (What, are you scared??)

For those of you from the area. Are there any problems for clearance challenged vehicles getting to the parking coordinates for Rolling Thunder?

For all others. Does anyone want to knock off either or both of these in the morning before the shootout? They are the 43 and 29th oldest currently active caches in the state, so they are on my to do list for that area.

...CAR-15. Feel free to bring some .223 ammo if you want to shoot it.

Also, don't forget to at least bring ear protection. Eye protection is recommended as well.

Dang, now I had to run out to GI Joes at lunch and pick up some .223 (it's on sale for $3.99 BTW). How long does it take to shoot twenty rounds out of that CAR?

Also: I have two extra pairs of ear protectors I'll bring.

Also, don't forget to at least bring ear protection. Eye protection is recommended as well.

...How long does it take to shoot twenty rounds out of that CAR?

For a 20 round mag, 'bout an hour. That is, if you take 3 minutes for each shot. Otherwise, it would be about 10 seconds if you're going as fast as you can. :P It's got a red dot sight for even more fun, too!

For a 20 round mag, 'bout an hour. That is, if you take 3 minutes for each shot. Otherwise, it would be about 10 seconds if you're going as fast as you can. :P It's got a red dot sight for even more fun, too!

I tried to get some .223 at Big-5 in Monroe today and they were sold out...might have to look along the way tomorrow.

Rolling Thunder 1 (Capitol Peak) and The Green Beret Hide Site (What, are you scared??)

For those of you from the area. Are there any problems for clearance challenged vehicles getting to the parking coordinates for Rolling Thunder?

For all others. Does anyone want to knock off either or both of these in the morning before the shootout? They are the 43 and 29th oldest currently active caches in the state, so they are on my to do list for that area.

After the last two weekends, those are too much for me. Have fun though.

I tried to get some .223 at Big-5 in Monroe today and they were sold out...might have to look along the way tomorrow.

There's a Sportsmans Warehouse in Fed Way at SR18, they have plenty.

I went to the range tonight and tested out some of the ammo that Eraseek donated for the weekend and I am happy to report that it goes pop really nicely.

I also got the new scope I bought sighted in on my .22 rifle at 50 yards I can keep it in the black consistently. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Is there any chance of a repeat of this fun-sounding action event in a few weeks, say Oct 14 or 28 weekends? Y'know, when I can come and plunk punkins.... if not, that's ok. i shouldn't be playing with firearms, anyway. :huh:

A, I can almost guarantee a repeat of today. It was a BLAST... :D ...and a very good time!

I'll be the one needing the potatoes. :bad:

And she'd have sliced, diced and french fried them with just the handguns too...I hope never to piss her off... :D

You folks are making me wish I lived near you. Then I maybe I could bring along my late father's Greener Martini shotgun! FYI use large potatoes for sharpshooters to hit. :D

Fly out!! It'll be fun!

And I think it was...I think most do as well...

Too bad I'm on the wrong coast. This sounds like a really fun day! :(

It was great...watch for the repeat and plan to buy your tickets...we'll pick you up at the airport... B)

Came:

Criminal

…The Girl

RecDiver

Allanon

Ray

RWW

blindleader

Team Noltex and guests

Ironman114

14 in all I think. What a great time...lots of shooting and very minor damage...except to the bowling pins...they took lots of damage...hehehe... :blink::D:D

Great to see ...The Girl again, and Ray and Ironman114 (without the sniper outfit this time) and Team Noltex...and to meet (almost) their guests.

Anyone know how much and how I can get one of those CAR-15's?...WOW, what a sweet weapon. Anyone can shoot that and hit what you aim at. WOOHOO!

And the .40's and .45 I fired were sweet too...and I even hit things I aimed at. Thanks Rec and blindleader.

Even the new scope on my .22 got me fairly close (although it still needs to be taken to the range and sighted in)...but I was at least very near what I aimed at... :D

Again, thanks Crim. Had a great time and hope to see another event soon.

I didn't think I could make this due to work and I was sad it was just a few miles from my house. :huh:

But lo and behold problems with the arrival of the second ship of bridge sections set me free today and a dash home for guns and i was there! :D

Good company with the above listed folks most of whom i had never met.

Good fun shooting many different handguns, rifles and shotguns.

Many tattered targets and bowling pins. :D

And good food due to the cancelled bbq at work. :D

I can't forget the Romulan ale either afterwards. :blink:

Just to repeat what Allanon and Ironman114 posted.

It was a great day and I really enjoyed it.

Criminal's shot gun was a treat to shoot. RWW was a kick, I mean a real kick, I've been kicked by a horse and it didn't hurt as much.

The CAR 15 was a more than excellent to shoot. The smile on …The Girl’s face when she finished shooting it said it all.

Criminal thanks for setting this up and thanks to those that let me shoot their firearms.

I had a real blast.

Ammo cans in abundance, RWW brings his ammunition in:

4a79033f-de01-4d35-8baf-e31f66e93375.jpg

It never occured to me to put Ammo in an Ammo Can! The next thing you're gonna tell me is that you can put Food in a Lock-N-Lock... but I know better.

Both Food and Ammunition are not allowed in caches! :)

It never occured to me to put Ammo in an Ammo Can! The next thing you're gonna tell me is that you can put Food in a Lock-N-Lock... but I know better.

Both Food and Ammunition are not allowed in caches!

Of course not! It makes the rounds smell like onions when they're fired! :)

Edited by zuni moon

Some highlights from yesterday:

Nobody brought fruit, but we had two boxes of bowling pins. Ironman had his reactive steel targets (or what’s left of them), and I had a single spinner, so we had plenty to aim at. …The Girl proved to be a crack shot, spinning the smallest of Ironman’s reactive targets pretty consistently. In fact, she hit it a couple times and it stuck in the up position, which she’d immediately knock back down with the next shot.

There was a shot up old washing machine about 60 yards or so away and I set two pins on it so Ironman could have something more challenging to shoot at with his scoped rifle, his first shot grazed the pin and they both toppled off. Later we set them back up and he had another go and missed completely. I walked over with my little 9mm Sig P239 pistol and hit one of the pins dead center and low, sending it flying. I have to be honest, it was a hellava lucky shot for me, and I made no attempt to duplicate it, better to live with the mystery right? His next try would send the pin flying though.

I took the 590A1 over loaded with 3” Magnum slugs, and sent one of the bowling pins hurtling high in the air. I figured the over one ounce slug would have pretty much wasted the pin, but upon examination I realized I’d barely even hit it. The huge slug had hit the 2x8 that was laid across the washer just under the pin and gouged a trough right up under the pin. Five of the 3” Magnum shells was plenty though, every shot felt like my vertebrae were separating and my brain was getting bounced around in my skull.

Several of us noticed the little mice running about, I spotted one nibbling on a weed near where we were shooting, and it seemed totally oblivious to us. I took a few pictures, and while …The Girl was getting her camera, I decided to touch my finger on its back, it didn’t like that and ran off.

After some serious noodling we got RWW’s birdgun going, as well as his tube fed .22 rifle. Team Noltex arrived an hour or so after we got there and set up some nice targets off to our left. I picked up a few really appreciated pointers from BlindLeader, his collection of .45s was something to be admired. We sent a lot of lead downrange, it sounded like a combat zone at times. Everyone was safe and sane, no “William Tell” incidents, no guns spun on fingers, etc. The TeamNoltex boys were as safety conscious as they could be, I was very impressed, and I was really glad to see the youngsters out here with us.

How could the day get any better? Well, Ironman could set up his tailgating grill and cook us all a hot meal, that’s how. Sometime between 3:30 and 4 pm, …The Girl and I decided we’d had enough and lugged the guns back to the car, the call of icy cold beer and Ironman’s bratwurst being the dominant decider. We all were pleasantly surprised to learn IronMaiden had made jalapeño poppers, easily the best I’ve ever had, to go with the brats.

All in all it was a terrific non-event event. Thanks to everyone who came as well as those who wanted to but couldn’t. Special thanks to Ironman114 for the free grub and use of the reactive targets. We will definitely be doing this again.

Im awaiting word on if Im needed to help with the fireworks show in Monroe tomorrow. If yes then Im not making the shoot out. if no then I can come and can also bring sawhorses/ply.

There's a fireworks show in Monroe tomorrow? :laughing:

Must be a NASCAR thing or something...

Yup, it was the end of the racing season finale at the Evergreen Speedway. 5-6 hrs of setting up, 10-15 minutes of Boom. It was my first time so learned alot and had a great time.

Although shooting would have been a great day too, I couldnt pass up the opportunity to join up with Orion Pyrotechnics to find out what its like to do a pro display. http://www.orionpyro.com/index.htm

Hope to make the next shoot out!!

They are the 43 and 29th oldest currently active caches in the state, so they are on my to do list for that area.

Is there a website that shows the oldest active caches in washington?

I use the following Washington search then click the ">>" to go to the last page, they are listed in reverse order.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=48

I was just sitting here logging the caches Crim and I did yesterday and I realized I hadn't posted here since the shoot.

Thanks to everyone for showing up and making this such a fun and successful non-event. Special thanks to Ironman for the fantastic fud.

It was so good to see Allanon and RWW again and I enjoyed making new friends too ... It's good to have faces to put with the names.

Needless to say, I get a thrill shooting almost anything. I love Crim's shotgun and his Sig ... Oh, and Team Noltex's AR was nothing to sneeze at!

You're ALL a great bunch of guys and I hope we can do this again when I come back.