Weekend Shootout?

Criminal

I was thinking of making this an event but I’m really not that motivated.

Trying to determine if there would be any interest in geocachers meeting down at a shooting pit near McCleary (west of Oly) to shoot for the afternoon on either the 30th or the 1st. I have a Mossberg 590A1 with a Knoxx recoil reducing stock that is hella fun to shoot, and if you bring a box or two of shells (12 gauge buckshot or slugs) I’d be happy to let anyone try it out. (Bring a couple pumpkins too, it’s fun!) I also have a couple .22 pistols that I’ll bring as well.

You can reply here, by PM, or email if you’re interested.

To ask an obvious question...is it legal to shoot in this pit?

Any caliber size limitations?

I know of no prohibition, so it's legal. The hunters shoot here to sight in their deer rifles.

I would limit it to whatever you can shoot without getting knocked on your *ss.

EDIT: BTW, there is (or was) a cache at this pit, but it's down at the unfriendly end of the range.

Edited by Criminal

To ask an obvious question...is it legal to shoot in this pit?

Any caliber size limitations?

I know of no prohibition, so it's legal. The hunters shoot here to sight in their deer rifles.

I would limit it to whatever you can shoot without getting knocked on your *ss.

EDIT: BTW, there is (or was) a cache at this pit, but it's down at the unfriendly end of the range.

Did that raise its difficulty rating? :laughing:

If I can make it I'll bring down a couple of handguns and a box of shells for the shotgun.

edit to add the 30th would be easier for me to make. Might do a little caching in the area before or after.

Edited by Recdiver

Having never shot many guns, this actually sounds kind of intriguing, would love to see what it's like, assuming y'all are willing to put up with a novice. I'm sure it would be good for some amusement.

But alas, my cousin is visiting that weekend, and I don't think that's what she wants to do.

If the date changes, or you do another one, I'll keep an eye out (don't shoot it out!).

Having never shot many guns, this actually sounds kind of intriguing, would love to see what it's like, assuming y'all are willing to put up with a novice. I'm sure it would be good for some amusement.

But alas, my cousin is visiting that weekend, and I don't think that's what she wants to do.

If the date changes, or you do another one, I'll keep an eye out (don't shoot it out!).

That's a perfect reason to come! Bring all your non-shooting friends and kids. We will be safe, educational, and we'll have fun. After the guns are put up, we'll have a beer or two (except the kids).

Sounds like the 30th is it. Everybody cross fingers for good weather.

Shoud I make it an event?

That's a perfect reason to come! Bring all your non-shooting friends and kids. We will be safe, educational, and we'll have fun. After the guns are put up, we'll have a beer or two (except the kids).

Should I make it an event?

An event might be a good idea, but I'd not make it the shooting, but the lunch/dinner/drinks afterward...kinda like the event isn't about caching, it shouldn't be about the shooting...but that's just my opinion...

Well, cool. But again, I won't be there, cos my cousin is here the 30th. Different plans for the day. :laughing:

This is SOOO up my alley.

I'll have to work on a kitchen pass. Fortunately my wife of 24 years understands "Hunting Season" and the requisite shooting practice involved in getting ready.

I have a clay pigeon launcher. (Which PP had fun with last year.) I'll toss a couple cases of clay pigeons in the mix with a half a case of trap shells. I'll bring a couple Benelli 12GA that shoot the light loads like a dream. (For those that don't wish to dislocate their shoulder.)

For those that like a good kick in the shoulder my .50 Hawkin with 100 Gr of blackpowder behind a 370 gr Maxi-ball will rattle your teeth a bit. I also have a .50 blackpowder pistol that will shoot the same load if your wrist feels up to it. (Awesome on gallon jugs and pumpkins but it truely is a handful.)

Now to check the family calendar and work on that kitchen pass.

Kitchen pass approved. (I'm send the wife to Minnesota :wub: ) I'll be there with a load of veggies, a few gallon jugs of water and ammo to spare. If there are any kids or slightly built people coming let me know I have a youth model Remington Model 1100 20ga I can bring.

Edited by CENT5

This is SOOO up my alley.

I have a clay pigeon launcher. (Which PP had fun with last year.) I'll toss a couple cases of clay pigeons in the mix with a half a case of trap shells. I'll bring a couple Benelli 12GA that shoot the light loads like a dream. (For those that don't wish to dislocate their shoulder.)

Bring some 3” magnum slugs or buckshot, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much the Knoxx stock turns the violent punch in your shoulder into a firm push.

It’s too late to make it an event but we can look ahead to next time if it works out.

For anyone who intends to come, please review what we have so far:

Meet at the shooting pit at high noon, coordinates will be announced as soon as Ironman114 gets them for me. Ballpark, it’s about 15 min west of Oly on SR 8.

Feel free to come even if you don’t want to shoot, or if you never have but would like to try (we’ll be patient).

Bring whatever you want to shoot and announce ahead of time what you are willing to let others shoot.

Bring ammo for whatever gun you want to try out.

Kids welcome provided you go over basic safety first and you supervise them appropriate for their age.

The pit is a mess of garbage but it would prolly not be a good idea for us to add to that, so targets should be something organic (like a punkin) or something you can clean up like cans. No glass bottles please.

Bring snacks and drinks for yourself, maybe next time we can BBQ. Please no alcohol until after the guns are stowed.

I’m open to dinner after in Oly if anyone knows of something decent like a brick-oven pizza place or maybe an applebees (NOT godfather’s pizza).

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, I’ll be sharing a .22 pistol and the big boomer, the 590A1 12 gauge.

Buy: .22 long rifle, it’s cheap and readily available.

Buy: 12 gauge 2¾” buckshot, slug, or lead shot. No steel shot please.

Edited by Criminal

Think I'll try and show up as well. I had my rifle and pistol last wkend at the Waddel pit but was having to much fun riding a quad I just bought. Never stopped to shoot. :lol:

bringing 30.06 Remington pump and FEG 9mm HP. might bring the .22 as well maybe.

I have a box of clays thats been sitting in my garage gathering dust I'll try to remember to grab too.

How come I keep getting this and the geohiking alone thread mixed up :huh::lol:

I want to be prepared next time. :P

As I always say (warn against), we become what we hate. (nice mask)

Disagree. Y'know I was kidding - right?

I can just see it now :lol: Spooky camo gal pops up from a bush with a pink camo hanky across her mug and says "I'm out for bear!" :lol: I'll run like hell! :D

Yes I know your safe :huh:

Sounds like a fun event. I got so many stupid 22 shells that have been laying around here for years.... but probably won't make it. Besides I think the gun is all rusted out. Been waiting too many years for the commies to invade. Seen any talibans around? :P

I'll be bringing the following and all are available to fire if you bring ammo (except the .22's, I have lots of that):

S&W Revolvers:

Model 14, K38, .38 special

Model 17, K22, .22 LR

Model 28 "Highway Patrolman", .357 Magnum (a very sweet gun!)

Rifles:

Winchester 30-30

Marlin model 60 semi-auto 22LR

Say recdiver. If you want to come by and grab some ammo, fine by me. Old stock though. I suppose it doesn't go bad. I used to love to put marshmellows in puddles and shoot them. They go way the heck up.

I should probably stay away from guns, huh?

Sure where/when do you want to meet. I'm in the Silver Lake area in good old unincorporated Snohomish County.

I'll be bringing the following and all are available to fire if you bring ammo (except the .22's, I have lots of that):

S&W Revolvers:

Model 14, K38, .38 special

Model 17, K22, .22 LR

Model 28 "Highway Patrolman", .357 Magnum (a very sweet gun!)

Rifles:

Winchester 30-30

Marlin model 60 semi-auto 22LR

That reminds me, somewhere in this house I have an old single shot 22LR rifle, in about 3 pieces. I'm pretty sure I know where the barrel and stock are, they bolt is another thingie all together. I hid it really good from the kids...that was about 15 years ago.

It sounds like it’s going to be a pretty good crowd Saturday. Reposting the coordinates from above: N47° 03.579 W123° 10.792

If anyone has a table or something to prop up the punkins and watermelons, please bring it.

A few basic safety rules so we’re all on the same sheet of music.

At the firing line, all guns are pointed downrange only. If a hot shell casing tumbles down your neck, please don’t sweep the crowd with your muzzle trying to get it out. We’ll all be patient for silly mistakes like trying to shoot with the safety still engaged or forgetting to load (been there, done that), but expect some serious hostility for poor muzzle discipline.

If you take your gun away from the firing line or are handling one away from the line, make sure the action is locked OPEN and the chamber is clear. Load weapons at the line only.

If you aren’t sure of what a hang-fire or squib load is and why they’re dangerous:

Squib load:
A phenomenon in gunmanship in which a bullet that is fired does not have enough force behind it to clear the barrel, forcing the next round to ram into it when fired. Can be extremely dangerous, causing damage to the firearm as well as injury, or death, to the user.

Hang-fire:
An unexpected delay between a firearm being triggered and the bullet actually firing.

If you have a problem while firing, raise a hand high in the air while keeping the gun pointed downrange.

Please do not load or handle any guns at the firing line while someone is downrange setting up targets or retrieving bodies. IOW, if someone is downrange, your gun is holstered, put down, or someplace other than in your hands.

The front sight, while certainly handy, is not the best thing to use when your nose itches.

Edited by Criminal

I was sitting at dinner last night with the family, all jacked up about meeting some new people and this shoot on Saturday. Tammy was going over her plans for the Minnesota trip. My son was ALL over the shoot. ("Dad I have the new .22 that Grandpa gave me 2 years ago. Can I bring it?")

My daughter (14) was being unusually quiet. I glanced over at her in time to see a tear roll down her cheek. I asked "Whats the matter hon?" "Bbbbbuuttt DDdaaaaaaaaD" (Blubber sniffle) It's HOMECOMING!!!!!! Dads overly sensitive response. "SO?"

You'd have thought I ran over her cat fer cryin out loud. Instant, all out, meltdown.

I'm still not getting this. You've got ur dress, you've got your shoes. I'm taking you and your girlfriends to the dance a 7:00. I'll be home by then no problem.

"Bbbbbuuttt DDdaaaaaaaaD" (It all comes out in a rush.) "Mom was taking us all to get our nails done at 11:00 and we have hair appointments at 3:00, then were all meeting at Heidi's to get ready and have dinner, and Moms gonna be in Minnesota and how are we gonna get to the nail place (Umm "WALK" comes to mind but I hold my tongue.) and hair place (Dam too far to make'em walk.) and Heidi's." (again too far)

We've all had that feeling before. That deer in the headlights, can't go left, can't go right, that bus is on track to rearrange your schedule and there's not a dam thing you can do about it.

I'd say my participation in the shoot right now is a wee bit iffy.

It’s too late to make it an event but we can look ahead to next time if it works out.

Meet at the shooting pit at high noon, coordinates will be announced as soon as Ironman114 gets them for me. Ballpark, it’s about 15 min west of Oly on SR 8.

Feel free to come even if you don’t want to shoot, or if you never have but would like to try (we’ll be patient).

Bring whatever you want to shoot and announce ahead of time what you are willing to let others shoot.

Kids welcome provided you go over basic safety first and you supervise them appropriate for their age.

The pit is a mess of garbage but it would prolly not be a good idea for us to add to that, so targets should be something organic (like a punkin) or something you can clean up like cans. No glass bottles please.

Bring snacks and drinks for yourself, maybe next time we can BBQ. Please no alcohol until after the guns are stowed.

I’m open to dinner after in Oly if anyone knows of something decent like a brick-oven pizza place or maybe an applebees (NOT godfather’s pizza).

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, I’ll be sharing a .22 pistol and the big boomer, the 590A1 12 gauge.

You folks are making me wish I lived near you. Then I maybe I could bring along my late father's Greener Martini shotgun! FYI use large potatoes for sharpshooters to hit. :antenna:

I was sitting at dinner last night with the family, all jacked up about meeting some new people and this shoot on Saturday. Tammy was going over her plans for the Minnesota trip. My son was ALL over the shoot. ("Dad I have the new .22 that Grandpa gave me 2 years ago. Can I bring it?")

My daughter (14) was being unusually quiet. I glanced over at her in time to see a tear roll down her cheek. I asked "Whats the matter hon?" "Bbbbbuuttt DDdaaaaaaaaD" (Blubber sniffle) It's HOMECOMING!!!!!! Dads overly sensitive response. "SO?"

You'd have thought I ran over her cat fer cryin out loud. Instant, all out, meltdown.

I'm still not getting this. You've got ur dress, you've got your shoes. I'm taking you and your girlfriends to the dance a 7:00. I'll be home by then no problem.

"Bbbbbuuttt DDdaaaaaaaaD" (It all comes out in a rush.) "Mom was taking us all to get our nails done at 11:00 and we have hair appointments at 3:00, then were all meeting at Heidi's to get ready and have dinner, and Moms gonna be in Minnesota and how are we gonna get to the nail place (Umm "WALK" comes to mind but I hold my tongue.) and hair place (Dam too far to make'em walk.) and Heidi's." (again too far)

We've all had that feeling before. That deer in the headlights, can't go left, can't go right, that bus is on track to rearrange your schedule and there's not a dam thing you can do about it.

I'd say my participation in the shoot right now is a wee bit iffy.

I'm trying to feel sorry for you CENT5 and I promise I will, as soon as I stop laughing! :antenna::antenna::antenna:

Don't feel too bad Cent5, as long as no one shoots themselves in the foot we can do it again another time.

Weather permitting.

edit to add I found the pieces of my old 22 rifle, except it seems to be missing the rear sight.

Oh well the way I shoot it doesn't matter that much.

Edited by Recdiver

"Bbbbbuuttt DDdaaaaaaaaD" (It all comes out in a rush.) "Mom was taking us all to get our nails done at 11:00 and we have hair appointments at 3:00, then were all meeting at Heidi's to get ready and ...

Well, since Heidi's parents aren't doing anything, ask them if they feel like shooting with us. :mad:

"Bbbbbuuttt DDdaaaaaaaaD" (It all comes out in a rush.) "Mom was taking us all to get our nails done at 11:00 and we have hair appointments at 3:00, then were all meeting at Heidi's to get ready and ...

Well, since Heidi's parents aren't doing anything, ask them if they feel like shooting with us. :D

LOL I wish. They are professional Photographers doing a wedding on Bainbridge.

I'm still workin on the other mom's but it seems Tammy volunteered to do this some time ago and all the parents did just what I would do and made plans to get the ^%$# away from Burien during homecoming. Of course she "forgot" to tell me about it when planning her MN trip. :mad: (She's actually going back for a memorial service for a favorite Aunt/ family get together. She may never get to see some of these cousin's again as the are scattered all over.)

Lesse if my choices were.

1. Spending the day hauling six 14 year old girls all over town getting ready for their 1st Homecoming.

2. Quad root canal with no anesthesia.

Feh-- not even close. #2

Ahh but payback comes on Sunday when I haul her to the Skagit to muck blackberry brambles and clear brush in preparation for Duck hunting opener in 3 weeks.

Hmm, my first post disappeared before it even got here. Here goes again.

You’d better put me down as a maybe. It’s been four years since I’ve touched my competition pistols and I’ve been telling myself I should at least go out and dispose of most of the left over ammo I (very many rounds of both .40 and .45).

I also have pin gun and more than a few bowling pins to bring for those of us who don’t mind the slight increased hazard. Hopefully someone will bring a sacrificial table or piece of plywood and saw horses.