Virtual Cache (help!)

the red terror

I am inexperienced in the world of geo-caching, but have some familiarity with a handheld GPS unit. I have been using the Garmin eTrex Legend for a few years hiking in the back country.

For the past couple of years I have been plotting waypoints of significant "ghost" sites (unmarked structures and cemetary plots) and am preparing to publish a small trail guide.

I have been using UTM coordinates and manually plotting them onto a topographic map.

For purposes of publishing the waypoint information, how should I best do this? Should I create "virtual caches" (I don't want to leave anything behind; I simply want it to be a waypoint mark to give users an idea where some particular historic events occured)?

Should I simply provide the UTM coordinates?

Or is there some sort of international database where I can punch in the UTM coordinates and I will get a GCXXXX tag (something along the lines of tinyurl, but in this instance an internationally-recognized name or tag identifying the site) that users can download or manually punch into their own handheld GPS units?)?

Any assistance, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Consider using www.Waymarking.com or www.waypoint.org.

Thanks, those links are very helpful. But they do not permit listing "virtual caches," ie. from Waymarking.com

What about virtual caches?

No new virtual geocaches will be listed on Geocaching.com, but if there is a suitable category for submitting your location on Waymarking.com, please feel free to submit a new waymark.

I will try to see if I can find a suitable category, but the guidelines are confusing.

On that same Waymarking.com page, it says:

What is the difference between geocaching and Waymarking?

In geocaching, it's all about the hunt and the treasure at the end. With Waymarking, the location is the treasure at the end. The primary difference is that
no physical object is placed when creating a waymark
. This added freedom allows us to enjoy certain locations that have previously been off-limits to geocaching. This time, the entire focus is on what can be gained from the location in terms of education, entertainment, or simply your obsessive desire to document the location of every annual Star Trek convention (for, you know, a friend).

So, does that mean I should be creating a "waymark" instead of a "virtual cache"?

I have done several years research of old antique maps and archeological digs in what is now a National Park. (I have absolutely no interest in leaving behind a Rubbermade tub with toys, and I suspect that would violate park rules in any event.) The National Park has now overgrown unmarked burial plots from 200 years ago that would be unrecognized by most people, but I believe would be of tremendous interest to historians and researchers. I have discovered where these mounds are, and would like to publish the findings and point them out to others. A GPS would be an ideal tool. But since the websites don't permit listing virtual caches, I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by the red terror

So, does that mean I should be creating a "waymark" instead of a "virtual cache"?

Yes, because, as you posted above, "No new virtual geocaches will be listed on Geocaching.com." Any existing Virtual Caches have been grandfathered in.

I'm considering doing the Waymarking myself. I have yet to do it, but it sounds like fun...

Consider using www.Waymarking.com or www.waypoint.org.

I cant find anything on Waymarking for Canadian area...it is only for USA?

Should be. At the top of the Waymarking.com page, it says, "Waymarking.com provides tools for you to catalog, mark and visit unique and interesting locations around the world."

Also, search for Canada. There doesn't appear to be a lot, but that just means they need your help!

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/cat_results....1&KW=canada

Most Waymarking categories are worldwide. There are a few that apply only to certain contries or states. For example Ontario Historic Plaques and Canadian Benchmarks :laughing: . If you know a location that fits in one of the categories you can waymark it. Even some of the US centric categories may be waymarkable in Canada, for example if you know of a grave of a US Medal of Honor recipient in Canada that could be waymarked. There are very few waymarks to visit in most of Canada and elsewhere because Waymarking is relatively new. As more waymarks get reported in more categories, there will be more places to visit.