Multi-cache coordinates (South Lyon Rail Trail)

geoMike&TRey

Hey, we're new to geocaching and we are borrowing a GPS unit not meant for navigation. What GPS format are the multi-cache locations in? The geocaching.com website says that "Geocaching uses the WGS84 datum by default" but the unit I have will only let me enter Lat/Long.

Thanks!

As near as I remember, the WGS84 datum is the standard used by default for all common GPSrs. It basically defines the relationship between degrees of longitude and latitude depending on where on Earth you are (A degree of lattitude or longitude defines a significantly longer distance at the equator that it would at the arctic circle. Look at a globe and you'll see what I mean). My advice would be to just try for a 1/1 cache or two and plug in the coords given on the cache's page. My guess is your GPSr will take you right to the cache (or at least as close to the cache as anyone's GPSr gets them). Don't worry if you don't get right to the cache when the GPSr zeros out as there is inherent errors in all GPSr measurements. I like to think of it as the GPSr gets you to within ~50 feet of the cache and you have to do the rest.

Welcome to the sickness. I MEAN HOBBY! YEAH THAT'S IT!! :laughing:

Thanks, my original question was poorly written. What I'm afraid of is that since I can only use Lat/Long with my GPS unit when I get to the first stage of a multi-cache is it going to provide the next coordinates to the second location in Lat/Long Deg or WGS84 datum (which I can't use, and wouldn't be able to make it to the next stage)?

Thanks, my original question was poorly written. What I'm afraid of is that since I can only use Lat/Long with my GPS unit when I get to the first stage of a multi-cache is it going to provide the next coordinates to the second location in Lat/Long Deg or WGS84 datum (which I can't use, and wouldn't be able to make it to the next stage)?

I've never known of anyone to use anything besides latitude and longitude for coords. I've been caching for over a year now with 400+ finds in about a half dozen states.

FYI from the geocaching glossary:

WGS84

The most current geodetic datum used for GPS is the World Geodetic System of 1984 (WGS84). The significance of WGS84 comes about because GPS receivers rely on WGS84.

Geocaching uses the WGS84 datum by default. We also use the format HDDD MM.MM, which is a standard for GPS receivers (like the eTrex).

HDD means Hemisphere and degrees. MM.MM are minutes in decimal format. If you have any questions, you can either visit the forums or contact us directly .

It is critical that the format is correct, otherwise cachers will be unable to find your cache!

In other words, coords are given in degrees, minutes and decimal minutes but are corrected according to the WGS84 datum. Basically, this just corrects for the fact the the Earth isn't a sphere but is thicker at the Equator than at the poles.

Short answer, most cachers use only degrees minutes and decimal minutes to express coordinates for a cache. If your GPSr can accept coords in that format, and I bet it can, you should be fine.

BTW, what is the GPSr that you're going to be using?

Thanks for the explanation! I'm much more excited about my 2nd cache attempt this weekend!

We're borrowing a Garmin Forerunner 301 (sports focus) until we decide which GPS and how much we want to spend. (Right now I'm thinking about the GPSMAP 60, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the geocaching mode is and if its worth the extra money vs the eTrex or something cheeper).

Thanks for the explanation! I'm much more excited about my 2nd cache attempt this weekend!

We're borrowing a Garmin Forerunner 301 (sports focus) until we decide which GPS and how much we want to spend. (Right now I'm thinking about the GPSMAP 60, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the geocaching mode is and if its worth the extra money vs the eTrex or something cheeper).

It sounds like both of those are good choices. I'd recommend starting off with the Etrex Legend if you're uncertain your going to stick with caching and also would not use a GPSr for anything else. Probably more cachers use or at least started with the legend. If you are thinking of something in the $350 range, I'd suggest looking for one with the new SirfIII chipset. It's much more sensitive than the older SirfII set.

I'll jump in here.. been working all day and saw this pop up.. where ARE my priorities? :laughing:

We like our Good Old Blue eTrex Legend and it's performed well over the last few years, even after I've dropped it on concrete and in water. Haven't run over it yet on the bikes, but I think it would stand that.

I also use it to navigate around Indy, and haven't been lost yet. It doesn't have maps for London, but you really don't need maps for that city. Just ask a local.

I've thought about upgrading and surprising JimHoney, but since we're so used to this GPS'r and we have a pretty good find record, why?

I do periodically go to the d/l section of Garmin to see if there are upgrades, and install them.. it's been a few yrs. though.

If you are thinking of something in the $350 range, I'd suggest looking for one with the new SirfIII chipset. It's much more sensitive than the older SirfII set.

I haven't done too much research yet. Which GPSr's have the SirfIII chipset? I've seen the GPSMAP60 for ~$250 and I'd like to get the Topo map software. My wife and I like to camp, hike and backpack (and I mountain bike ... well... no mountains in MI). We recently got VERY lost on a 3 day hike and since we over packed (~35-40 lbs each) we only made it one day... so we'd like to use it for trail navigation as well. :laughing:

If you are thinking of something in the $350 range, I'd suggest looking for one with the new SirfIII chipset. It's much more sensitive than the older SirfII set.

I haven't done too much research yet. Which GPSr's have the SirfIII chipset? I've seen the GPSMAP60 for ~$250 and I'd like to get the Topo map software. My wife and I like to camp, hike and backpack (and I mountain bike ... well... no mountains in MI). We recently got VERY lost on a 3 day hike and since we over packed (~35-40 lbs each) we only made it one day... so we'd like to use it for trail navigation as well. :wub:

I'm fairly certain that all the Garmin "X" series GPSrs have the SirfIII chipset. Those might be best for you if you intend to use the unit for hiking as I believe all of these units use AA batteries. I personally use a blue tooth SirfIII GPSr with a PDA. It works well for me, but both units use rechargable battery packs which require access to either AC power or a car adapater to recharge. Not sure on the pricing of the Garmin units, but it's easy enough to shop around on the net.