Alabama Cemetery Caches

5somewhere

I am fortunate in that I have pretty much an equal opportunity to cache in both Indiana and Alabama. One thing that I have noticed, at least in the areas that I am caching, is that there are few to no caches in cemeteries in Alabama. Is there a reason for this? In Indiana it is common to have caches in/near cemeteries. The caches that I have seen are tastefully done usually on the outskirts of the cemetery (never near or on a grave site). I developed an interest in cemeteries a few years back while working on my family tree and have found that there are quite a few other people who enjoy walking through a cemetery looking at the history that can be found there. I would like to place some caches in cemeteries in Alabama but don't want to do something that would be considered "wrong" or that is illegal. Can someone shed some light on the protocol for placing caches in/near cemeteries in the Huntsville, AL area? :laughing:

There are countless cemetery caches in Mississippi, and I've seen quite a few up in Tennessee, so I'd say it's probably due to the locals' hiding habits mose so than anything else.

True, but it is also possible to have a reviewer who doesn't approve cemetery caches. I don't know what policy Alabama has...but though Georgia has a number of caches in cemeterys, no new ones are being approved unless permission has been granted with the owners and it has gone through the Georgia reveiwer. It is for that reason that the number of cemetery caches in Georgia are starting to go down.

True, but it is also possible to have a reviewer who doesn't approve cemetery caches...

That's not exactly the case. With few exceptions, cemeteries are private property. Before any cemetery cache will be published, information needs to be provided that shows the site is either publicly owned or that permission has been obtained from the owner/caretaker. Not every cemetery welcomes caching and we are mindful of respecting private property boundaries.

However, in almost every instance where a cacher has requested permission they have received it. Site managers are usually more than willing to let us play our game on their property once they get a little education about what we do. Cache hiders who feel reluctant about approaching private property owners (or managers of public land, for that matter) should take heart that most requests are granted with no problems. Problems are more likely to be caused by people skirting the land rules - resulting in a negative image of cachers as those who don't respect the property rights of others.

I can't speak to Alabama, but Tennessee has an obscure little state law that forbids anyone to "play at any amusement" in any cemetery. No new ones are being approved, but the old ones are being allowed unless a problem arises.

Pity, since olf forgotten cemeteries are among my favorite finds, and geocachers are doing far more to clean up old cemeteries than their owners are.

I have an series of cemetery caches in northeast AL. There is a total of 20 caches in the series. I also have a multi with one of the stages in a cemetery and a mystery cache with the final location just outside of a cemetery. Those are just my cemetery caches. I can think of many more that I've found throughtout the state, including a 2 night caches in cemeteries.

When I placed my caches, the only requirement was that the cache be placed outside of the cemetery if permission could not be gotten from the cemetery grounds keeper, church, family, etc. Things may have changed since them though.