60CX problems all smoothed out yet?

capt caper

Are there any problems left with the 60cx or has Garmin got it running as smooth as the 60CS ? There were some big one's. Altitude jumping I belive,no refix after coming out of a tunnel,etc. WAAS problems? Did they change the SIRF processer in the later units to fix these problems?

I'm leary about buying from a non authorized dealer as they may have the older processers.

Thanks guys

Capt.

Are there any problems left with the 60cx or has Garmin got it running as smooth as the 60CS ? There were some big one's. Altitude jumping I belive,no refix after coming out of a tunnel,etc. WAAS problems? Did they change the SIRF processer in the later units to fix these problems?

I'm leary about buying from a non authorized dealer as they may have the older processers.

Thanks guys

Capt.

Forgive me if my answer is incorrect as I am a newbie to the world of geocaching and hand held GPS (have had a streetpilot 3 for a few years in the car) but the 60cx (wich I just got yesterday) does not have altitude like the 60csx so that shouldn'd be a problem.

As for the refix after a tunnel, I just used the Garmin webupdater this morning going up to v3.00 which did mention that item. So with out experience I would say that Garmin has issued the fix... if it works or not, time will tell.

Since firmware 3.0 and sirfware 2.7 I don't have any problems with bad altitude or altitude jumping with the CSX.

The tunnelproblem is also solved as far as I can tell (I'm using the unit since february and firmware 2.4 - *sigh*).

Can't talk about WAAS, because I don't use it, because I think the SIRF's accuracy is more than what I need.

From time to time I turn it on, just to play around, but I'm in the Egnos area, which is not helpful for you.

I don't believe that they changed the processor in the later units.

I'm quite happy with my CSX now, but still await some features which make better use of the SD-card (e.g. for routes and number of routepoints, lifting the map segment restriction, possibility to display the SD-card-tracks on the units map display, ...).

Edited by NewZealand

I believe the 60Csx still has some altitude jumping problems.

All the other problems were fixed with firmware upgrades. There are no hardware changes required.

Red what makes you say they still have altitude problems? What are they that you have. What does it do?

Capt.

I got a chance to use the 60csx side by side with my legendC and 60cx. I wasn't very impressed with the pressure altimeter, it seemed to fluctuate +/-10ft sitting still. This is exactly how a GPS without a pressure altimeter works. also the readings that the 60csx were giving for altitude were within 10-20ft of what both my no altimeter units read(close enough for me). I decided that I didn't need the worse battery life of the "S" model(I was thinking of upgrading).

My new 60CX is in the mail as they say. As soon as I get back home I will start setting it up and see how it performs. I am currently using the 60CS and expect to see a great improvement in the quality of reception under heavy tree cover where I always seem to have problems while caching with the 60CS.

Where do you find heavy tree cover in Pocatello ?

I believe the 60Csx still has some altitude jumping problems.

All the other problems were fixed with firmware upgrades. There are no hardware changes required.

Red what makes you say they still have altitude problems? What are they that you have. What does it do?

Capt.

I thought people had reported the problem was not fixed. I have a 60Cx, so don't have any first hand knowledge, so people with 60Csx can speak up.

WAAS is working fine. Actually it ALWAYS worked fine. It just did not want to use the WAAS satellites that are in test mode. The last firmware upgrade changed things so it will use the test satellites.

Regardless of what New Zealand says, it increases accuracy and stability quite bit. With a good view of the sky 2.5 meter reported accuracy is easy to get. Testing against other units and the same location at different times shows that in the open we can certainly zero WELL within a circle of that radius.

From my experience (4 months, 300 caches) these units are great. Solid satelitte reception under difficult conditions. Great repeatable accuracy.

Most of the problems have been fixed however you are safe to buy it from anyone as i believe there is only one HARDWARE version right now. all the fixes come as software/chipset upgrades and can be applied to any of the units.

Thanks guys

I was looking on ebay for a used one since hardware is the same and was surprised to find only one used one. All the rest are new. And the prices aren't that great either compared to GPSCity,etc. Lot's of guys are bidding on new ones and paying the same as if they just order it from authorized venders. Even the used one will go for near new.

I might have to buy a new one. :wub:

Capt.

Edited by capt caper

You will not get better than 3.5 meters without WAAS. I had a solid 2.0 meters today with WAAS. I realize New Zealand that 1) you live in Europe, so have not used WAAS and that 2) don't geocache, so it is understandable you would NOT understand the impact of WAAS on Geocaching.

Edited by Red90

You will not get better than 3.5 meters without WAAS. I had a solid 2.0 meters today with WAAS. I realize New Zealand that 1) you live in Europe, so have not used WAAS and that 2) don't geocache, so it is understandable you would NOT understand the impact of WAAS on Geocaching.

No that much impact if the caches are placed without using WAAS ! :wub: In fact with WAAS, people will consider that the cache MUST be where the GPS says so and may not look further.

Ah yes, another response from someone in Europe with very few finds..... Strangley enough I may have some experience. Well placed caches have coordinates within 3 meters. For 90% off my finds the cache is found within the reported accuracy of my GPSr. The remaining 10% are almost always placed by cachers that do not take the time and effort to get good coordinates. That 10% are always the same owners.

Most of the problems have been fixed however you are safe to buy it from anyone as i believe there is only one HARDWARE version right now. all the fixes come as software/chipset upgrades and can be applied to any of the units.

Thanks guys

I was looking on ebay for a used one since hardware is the same and was surprised to find only one used one. All the rest are new. And the prices aren't that great either compared to GPSCity,etc. Lot's of guys are bidding on new ones and paying the same as if they just order it from authorized venders. Even the used one will go for near new.

Capt.

The Garmin $50 rebate also does not work with online auctions, clearly states that on the form, only from retailers.

Thanks guys

Capt.

The Garmin $50 rebate also does not work with online auctions, clearly states that on the form, only from retailers.

I know and I emailed them and they said they send a reciept saying bought from store. I wouldn't chance it for sure.

Amazing how high priced some of them are... out of touch I guess.