Project 2010

GlobalRat

I thought it would be interesting to track the progress of the much debated stadiums being constructed for the Soccer World Cup in 2010.

In order to do this I’ve created a cache near one of the stadiums, Soccer City in Johannesburg. GCYEKX – Project 2010: Soccer City. Cache finders will be required to take photo’s and thus over time we’ll be able to view progress of construction.

The stadiums:-

Three existing stadiums in Gauteng, will be upgraded. Soccer City (FNB stadium), Ellis Park in Johannesburg, and Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria. The Royal Bafokeng stadium in North West will be upgraded, as will Vodacom Park in Mangaung (Bloemfontein) in the Free State.

Five new stadiums will be built or rebuilt. In Limpopo, the Peter Mokaba stadium in Polokwane will host 2010 games. New stadiums will be built at Mbombela in Mpumalanga, and in the Nelson Mandela Metro (encompassing Port Elizabeth) in the Eastern Cape.

Kings Park stadium in Durban will be rebuilt for the event, and in the Western Cape, Cape Town’s Green Point stadium will be rebuilt.

Calling on cachers in other areas to create similar Project 2010 caches which we can hyperlink and perhaps create an interesting collection of images as the clock ticks away.

For project 2010 in Cape Town, we agree with GS&Dogs about placing the cache on Signal Hill. It will give a great over all view of the stadium. But then also having a cache on ground level would also be good to give you a closer look.

We do have ideas for placing a large cache close by but we do not know where they will be building and how much more area they will be taking. If anyone knows the basic plans for the stadium please let us know and help us get this cache started.

:laughing:

The basic plan for the Green Point Stadium is such:

1) it will gobble up several acres of green land and plaster it with tar and concrete

2) it will cost far more than predicted

3) it will not be completed in time

Sorry, couldn't resist! :laughing:

Edited by bear&fox

The basic plan for the Green Point Stadium is such:

1) it will gobble up several acres of green land and plaster it with tar and concrete

2) it will cost far more than predicted

3) it will not be completed in time

Sorry, couldn't resist! :laughing:

:rolleyes: Agreed.

Saw it first hand with the 2002 Olympics. Bring on the budget deficiets after the games!

<_<;) Possible locations at Loftus are currently being investigated but due to building plans not available at present I can not predict the alterations. For a start I will place a micro close by and once the current area of Sin-Bin is re-developed might move a regular cache there. Project plan indicates that the micro is going up for hunting coming weekend. :):D

R2.7bn to R12bn.... good start.

Anyway, what about the caches!?

As a project manager in the infrastructure development / construction industry I can only wish to someday work for a boss who wont mind this slight overspend on original budget <_<

My office is just on the other side of the lake from the PE stadium so I will get a cache up in the area soon.