Google Earth measure feature

ALPINE-X

Playing around with Google Earth and discovered the 'measure' feature under the tools toolbar.

This is really helful when figuring out the shortest route to a cache, or adding notes to a cache page about distances to a cache.

Just thought this might be useful, as it's a lot quicker than trying to measure distance using the GPSr at home.

The below image shows the measuring line (white line) from the cache to a possible parking location, not shown is a pop up window that shows you the distance.

ecde0681.jpg

Edited by ALPINE-X

Be careful with that. You are using the Geocaching.com network KML, which has intentional error in the placement of the cache symbol. I just found an example where the cache was shown 865ft away from the actual location. This error could be enough to place you on the wrong side of a river or highway. To see the exact location of a cache, either load a GPX or LOC file or manually type in the cache's coordinates.

I only use Google Earth's cache feature to find caches that I may be interested in. When one looks interesting, then I put the coordinates into Google Maps and that comes out very accurately. I wish they'd fix that bug... I see cache locations jump from one side of a river to the other just because I panned the image.

I don't think it's a bug, I think it was designed that way.

Qouted from the google page:

Please note that the coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location. Do not use the coordinates in Google Earth for cache hunting. It is merely a viewing tool for getting a general idea of the cache location.