PQ's Days being unchecked after processing

TeamWalri

TPTB generally frown on automated processing. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to make automated processing easier :lol:

Why would they frown on this?

Maybe TPTB wonder why people are using offline databases and programs :D.

As stated before from the geocaching website:

Pocket Queries are custom geocache queries you can have emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis. They are in a format you can bring along with you on cache hunts on your GPS and/or PDA. You can select a GPX or LOC text file and/or MobiPocket eBook format that works with supported software applications. Because of the detailed queries, each search can run only once per day. You have up to 5 pocket queries run every 24 hour period.

I understand the load on the PQ servers though, and also think you should keep the number of PQ as low as possible. I understand the reticking-thingy to let people only get the PQ if they really use it.

But please keep in mind that people are actually using the PQ's to get the cache hunts into their PDS/GPS/Laptop and use them offline on their cache hunts or to plan them.

Expanding the XML file will allow people who use the PQ functionality to automate the PQ retick process. They are in fact using the PQ actively as it was ment to be.

Maybe TPTB wonder why people are using offline databases and programs :D.

If they're wondering then they're not reading the forums.

Among others, the reasons fall into two broad categories; the 5 log limit and inopportune site downtime. Both of these issues have been discussed to death at different times.

Any time the site goes down on a Friday you'll see any number of threads and posts complaining about not being able to get PQs. Those who keep off line databases just smile and go on.

The PQ turning themselves off has been happening for about 6 months now.

It's a real pain. I was WORSE when the PQ list was not sorted, then it took

a long time to walk through and fix them (when they turned off).......

At leadt now, you notice a pattern change on your PQ's go off....

I think it has happened twice in the past year (and since PQs began).

BTW, how long can it really take to look at your list of PQs and decide which ones you want to run on which days?

I think it has happened twice in the past year (and since PQs began).

BTW, how long can it really take to look at your list of PQs and decide which ones you want to run on which days?

Apparently it is not consistant. I had one day where it happened last week and not since then.

I agree, it's not a big deal to check unless your running the same PQ every day but most I know run their recurring PQ's once a week.

Apparently it is not consistant. I had one day where it happened last week and not since then.

I agree, it's not a big deal to check unless your running the same PQ every day but most I know run their recurring PQ's once a week.

My understanding is that only the PQs that hadn't been altered in several months were affected on this go around.

OK, here's my beef,

When I didn't get my last weeks round of PQ's, I went back and checked my PQ generator, and found all my PQ's got unchecked. So I went back and rechecked the days I wanted them to run, again. I got them on Sept 27th and 28th. But now, when I look at the generator, it tells me they have been sent out, including today's date. When I checked my yahoo email, where I've been getting them for over two years, there is nothing there. I even checked the "BULK" and "TRASH" folders to see if they got misguided, for some reason. They are not being recieved on my end, but yet the PQ generator say's they have. Yes, I even checked my email address at the bottom to make sure it's going to the right address. What's up with that. Anyone else having this problem, too. Hopefully, this will be resolved before the end of the month, when my membership is to renew. Getting the PQ's is the sole reason for my membership, since most cachers in the area don't want MO caches, except for some that place a new one to see who's checking on it more than anything else. :lol::laughing::rolleyes:

Edited by strikeforce1

But now, when I look at the generator, it tells me they have been sent out, including today's date. When I checked my yahoo email, where I've been getting them for over two years, there is nothing there. I even checked the "BULK" and "TRASH" folders to see if they got misguided, for some reason. They are not being recieved on my end, but yet the PQ generator say's they have. Yes, I even checked my email address at the bottom to make sure it's going to the right address. What's up with that. Anyone else having this problem, too. Hopefully, this will be resolved before the end of the month, when my membership is to renew. Getting the PQ's is the sole reason for my membership, since most cachers in the area don't want MO caches, except for some that place a new one to see who's checking on it more than anything else. :lol::laughing::rolleyes:

Your 3 PQs that were generated around 9 AM this morning were delivered to your Yahoo account within seconds of being generated. I'll send you a PM with the log entries so you can follow up with Yahoo on this issue.

:P Elias

I find the comments by Jeremy in this thread to be fairly disingenuous.

We'll implement this when we add sorting to the page and the priority bump feature - which moves your query to the top of the queue for the day.

The idea of a “bump” feature was discussed and promised a long time ago; here it comes up again. Obviously implementing the code to mess up the system was more important than creating this new promised feature. Why promise a feature that you have no intention to implement?

I find this quote particularly absurd:

It turns out that the login date has no real correlation to whether the pocket queries are being used or not.
If you have any knowledge whatsoever as to which PQs are being used and which are not, then why did you turn mine off? I use all of mine. I want to be able to opt out of this nonsense and get all the ones I schedule. I really am disturbed that you can tell which ones are being used and which ones are not; yet you chose to implement this on those of us who do use our PQs.
Seems like a lot of nagging. I'd prefer changing the pocket query generator page so the list shows the age of your pocket query. If it is too old it will let you know there.

Jeremy, when you explain to us that we won’t be getting something we expect, then that is not “nagging”. That, Jeremy would be called “Communicating”. “Nagging” is when you repeatedly tell someone something s/he doesn’t want to hear. (Like your opinion about the usefulness of my posts when you don't like them).

Why is it that the action was taken to actually mess with our chosen settings? When I schedule something, I don’t want anyone messing with my settings. Would it not have been easier to implement sending an alternative message after 30 days with a different subject heading that (1) tell us that the scheduled PQ will not be run and (2) gives us the option to get it run instantly without counting against our totals. Now that would not be called “communicating”; that would be called “valuing the needs of the customer” .

Why is it that the PQ Toolbox page still does not show that the PQ will be handled differently from what the radio-buttons at the top offer as selections? Right now this is what it says:

Choose how often your query should run:

() Uncheck the day of the week after the query runs

() Run this query every week on the days checked

() Run this query once then delete it

Shouldn’t the second one include: “as long as we feel like sending it to you but certainly not longer than 30 days unless you come here and fiddle with it?”
I find this quote particularly absurd:
It turns out that the login date has no real correlation to whether the pocket queries are being used or not.
If you have any knowledge whatsoever as to which PQs are being used and which are not, then why did you turn mine off?
Ummm, how could he know whether you actually use all the PMs you order?
Seems like a lot of nagging. I'd prefer changing the pocket query generator page so the list shows the age of your pocket query. If it is too old it will let you know there.

Jeremy, when you explain to us that we won’t be getting something we expect, then that is not “nagging”. That, Jeremy would be called “Communicating”.
Well, there was the communication in the form of verbiage in the PQ email explaining that it would happen in a week if you didn't take some action. Edited by sbell111

Your 3 PQs that were generated around 9 AM this morning were delivered to your Yahoo account within seconds of being generated. I'll send you a PM with the log entries so you can follow up with Yahoo on this issue.

:D Elias

Elias,

Thank you for your assistance in my PQ matter, and your follow up with the PM.

Upon further investigation with your PM, I found out that during the time period of September 28th/29th my account (unexplainable) decided your emails from **contact at geocaching dot com** got switched by a blocking feature.

Yahoo nor I, know how this happened. Anyway, the situation has been resolved with your help and I am now enjoying my PQ’s once again. Now I can do some minor updates and go caching again. :D

I’m glad that I didn’t jump the gun and blast anyone, or I’d have mud on my face. So, I hereby retract **Here’s my Beef - #59 posting ! ** LOL :D

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again,

SF1