Commercial Geo Event

StarBrand

I live near the original Sidney Nebraska Cabelas store. They have contacted our local geocaching group and nearby others to help them put on a Geocaching event in December at the store. I know we probably will not get it listed on this site as an event (commercial restrictions). I gave them info to talk about advertising on the site and they are looking into it. However, we want to make it a big deal anyway. I am off next week to do a few presentations to them and pitch a few ideas for the 2 day event. So, many minds are better than one so a few questions....

• Is a 2 day (weekend) event too much?
  • We will be doing classes and talks - give me some good topics?
  • We will setup a number of temp caches but it will likely be winter - thoughts?
  • What would you like to see happen at such an event?
  • What would entice you attend such an event?
  • Do a search (there aren't many local caches) - would that factor into attendence?
  • Would you target new cachers or all levels?

Thanks for any input.......

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about getting it listed - events are different than caches!

Many groups hold events in commercial establishments of this nature; I have attended geocaching monthly meetings of the GGA in and REI store, not much different.

Talk to your reviewer and Groundspeak, I suspect they'll allow it.

Wish it were closer, I would attend.

Ed

In the winter, a two day event might be overkill. There just are not as many people in the area at that time of year. If they held a summer event, I could see getting a good draw from the tourists in the Lake Mac area and from the larger number of people stopping in while traveling through. People would probably be more likely to travel there specifically for a caching event in the summer as well. And then there is also the whole issue of never knowing what the weather will do in the winter.

Maybe try a one day winter event and then if it goes well, take what is learned from that and plan a bigger summer event?

Maybe a summer event when I am planning to visit? :anitongue:<_<

You don't have to promote the store, in fact I would play that down a bit - Cabellas is well aware that any geocacher that attends is a prospective customer. Just advertise it as the location and perhaps mention they are stocking the temp caches with goodies (I am sure they will!).

I would contact the local press once you have your presentation topics and schedule worked out; Newspaper, Radio, TV - and don't forget Public Radio and TV stations!

I have to disagree with Carleen on this one; I think folks are at home more and looking for things to do during the winter, and therefore more likely to attend, than in the summer when their days are filled.

• Is a 2 day (weekend) event too much?
    No, it's great! It gives more people an opportunity to attend and shows the store that geocachers are serious, that we'll invest time and interest in our game. and the people who play it.

• We will be doing classes and talks - give me some good topics?
    Schedule an Intro to GPS, then Intro to Geocaching, then Geocaching and the Environment, then a Geocache Hunt - take the group to hunt the temp caches (you can't list or log them, but can use them as teaching aids). If each of these is a 30-minute presentation with say 15 minutes between each topic (break, Q&A), then you have a 3-hour 4-topic presentation where folks can attend all of it or just the parts they are interested in, and you can put it on twice a day!

• We will setup a number of temp caches but it will likely be winter - thoughts?
    Get Cabellas to stock them for you!

• What would you like to see happen at such an event?
    See above

• What would entice you attend such an event?
    As a geocacher to meet people and to volunteer to help, as John Q. Citizen to learn about this new GPS-thingy and treasure hunt I keep hearing about, and to walk away with some of the loot Cabellas is going to put in yout temp caches for us to find!

• Do a search (there aren't many local caches) - would that factor into attendence?
    No, you are focusing on newbies.

• Would you target new cachers or all levels?
    All levels would be welcomed, but this is, I would think, an intro-level event. Now, host a BBQ in the parking lot and geocachers of all levels will come, winter or not!

Thanks for any input.......

Hope that helps!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I attended an event at the Cabela's in West Virginia a few months ago, and a second event is scheduled there next month. It's important to note that neither event page mentions Cabela's except as the venue. Cabela's was not a "sponsor." Although I walked through the store to get to the meeting room, I didn't buy anything or feel obligated to buy anything.

Once you pass beyond this to things like co-sponsorship, the event is commercial and cannot be listed without special permission from Groundspeak -- as noted in the OP. Why not just have the event there without trumpeting Cabela's, and let any shopping take care of itself? If visitors want to shop, they will -- if they don't they can just go to the meetings and activities.

I attended an event at the Cabela's in West Virginia a few months ago, and a second event is scheduled there next month. It's important to note that neither event page mentions Cabela's except as the venue. Cabela's was not a "sponsor." Although I walked through the store to get to the meeting room, I didn't buy anything or feel obligated to buy anything.

Once you pass beyond this to things like co-sponsorship, the event is commercial and cannot be listed without special permission from Groundspeak -- as noted in the OP. Why not just have the event there without trumpeting Cabela's, and let any shopping take care of itself? If visitors want to shop, they will -- if they don't they can just go to the meetings and activities.

Yep, what he and others have said. GGA meetings work sort of like what Lep said.

The GGA does this in the winter. We meet in the back of the store. We don't even mention REI, we just give coordinates. The hint gives directions and a street address but does not mention the store name. We make you follow your GPS. REI gives us free space, and in return GGA members teach a beginner's class in GPS usage during the year.

Yep, what he and others have said. GGA meetings work sort of like what Lep said.

The GGA does this in the winter. We meet in the back of the store. We don't even mention REI, we just give coordinates. The hint gives directions and a street address but does not mention the store name. We make you follow your GPS. REI gives us free space, and in return GGA members teach a beginner's class in GPS usage during the year.

So did REI provide anything in the way of door prizes or specials while the cachers were there or just the room? Did they have a display of possible geo-merchandise? just curious.....

So did REI provide anything in the way of door prizes or specials while the cachers were there or just the room? Did they have a display of possible geo-merchandise? just curious.....

Not at the few meetings I've been to in REI.
So did REI provide anything in the way of door prizes or specials while the cachers were there or just the room?

Not at the ones I have been to.

Did they have a display of possible geo-merchandise? just curious.....

I think that might be over the line. It'd need Groundspeak's permission I think, and I will be surprised if they allow it.

But who knows? I have been surprised before!

Ed

As one who's attended two of these events, I can answer that. No. No door prizes, no specials, no display of possible geo-merchandise. Just the room. In fact, you wouldn't even know you were at an REI until you leave the room.

Hi Starbrand,

I think we met you in Douglas. We live in Sidney. Cabela's contacted me about this same project. I told them that they probably can't do it because it was commercial as well. She also made it sound like it was every weekend from now until Christmas, but I think they would be better off doing a one day activity, not a full weekend.

Odd or Even

Ok - thanks, I appreciate the tips and comments on getting it listed but I believe that they are really looking to be a "sponser" - so getting past the fact that we probably won't get it listed as a loggable event - any other thoughts?

Well, if they want to be a sponsor, wonderful! Hook them up with Groundspeak!

An international retailer of outdoor and hi-tech gear, the pre-eminent publisher of listings for an international group of outdoor and hi-tech enthusiasts - yep, I'd say the two need to talk!

Ed

For those of you who've never visited Sidney Nebraska in winter, I was sent to inspect the installation of a gas pipeline pumping station we were installing just across the border in Colorado. If it hadn't been for Cabelas next to our hotel, I would have gone mad.....(thank you Cabelas for letting me browse your superstore for 3 days while we waited for the weather to improve)

Here's the best part of Sidney (Cabelas)...fdf53c87.jpg

And here's the bad (the 1f was the current outside tempature...)

fdf53c3c.jpg

"That cache has got to be here somewhere!!!

fdf53d2e.jpg

Here's the link to my on-line album of my trip to Sidney...

Sidney-Trip

Edited by ALPINE-X

When I first started talking to her, she said she wanted to do it "in" the store. I explained to her that you aren't going to pick up any sattelites inside the store, you would have to do it outside. Makes me think that they just wanted to get people in the store. It would be great to have an educational session about GPS and geocaching at the store though in the meeting room. Maybe that should be done first, and then there could be a little scavenger hunt outside on their property in the afternoon. Then, at the last cache, there could be a little prize from Cabela's.

What do you think? Has the lady got back to you, or where do you stand on the project?