The most caches HIDDEN in a 24 hour period....

Snoogans

It takes wayyy more time to find a decent hiding spot and publish a cache than it takes to hunt for one....

Since everyone wants to talk records...

I think my hiding record is something like 6 or 7 in a 24 hour period for actual physical hides. I'll hafta go back and check to be sure.

I think my cache PUBLISHING record is somewhere in the vacinity of 5 in a 24 hour period. Again, I'll have to check the publishing tags, but I'm pretty sure it's 5.

What's your record?

I hope people don't start trying to hide as many as possible.

I'd rather have 5 good caches than 20 that were hidden just for a +1

This thread isn't going to cause people to hide caches poorly. People who publish poor hides don't need any encouragement to do so.

I'm simply asking what is YOUR record & not what's the Guinness contender for hiding records. :(

I've hidden a whole one cache in a day! However that cache took a lot of planning!

I hope people don't dump a ton of micro spew just to get the highest hiding record for this thread.

I worry about this too. I guess though if you pick a rual county road like I live you could place a micro every .10th of a mile, and in one day hide at least 100 and not upset the balance of good caches in good places. Ummm. I may have something to do for the next day or so.

El Diablo

I've hidden a whole one cache in a day! However that cache took a lot of planning!

I hope people don't dump a ton of micro spew just to get the highest hiding record for this thread.

I worry about this too. I guess though if you pick a rual county road like I live you could place a micro every .10th of a mile, and in one day hide at least 100 and not upset the balance of good caches in good places. Ummm. I may have something to do for the next day or so.

El Diablo

Ugh, here we go again. :( Why tax a braincell worrying about what hasn't come to pass? :D

***WARNING: VERBOSE TANGENT TO ILLUSTRATE A POINT***

Preconceived notions rarely hold true in geocaching.

When I first came to this forum and announced that I was getting ready to release 13,000 caches of which 12,500 were micros, the "Highbrow" geocachers denounced it as an awful proliferation of badly placed micro spew...... :):D A blatant preconceived notion. I was totally shocked at the lack of open mindedness.

Just under 4 months ago those caches were released and with nearly 430 published, a new one is placed on average of every 6.3 hours. They have nearly all been well received and well hidden OR THEY WEREN'T PUBLISHED. :D:(

A "Micro" in and of itself doesn't equate to a poor cache. Only the hider can make it poor.

As I stated not much earlier....

This thread isn't going to cause people to hide caches poorly. People who publish poor hides don't need any encouragement to do so.

I'm simply asking what is YOUR record & not what's the Guinness contender for hiding records.

With the way threads die in this forum, I seriously doubt any avalanche of micro spew could be attributed to THIS thread. Sheesh, worry about taxes or the war in Iraq or some other arbitrary thing you have no control over..... :D

AND NOW, back to our originally scheduled topic already in progress.... :)

Edited by Snoogans

Um... 12 I think, but they were temps for an event. And most were 'peanut butter' jars and such so they were small and light, made having pile of them in a backpack easy. Plus they only have to stay unmuggled for maybe a few weeks, some were places a normal cache probably wouldn't stay (close to trail, near popular fishing point, etc).

It would be much more interesting to see how many HEAVY (ammo can) caches people have hidden, and how far the hike was :( .

Another cacher and I placed 7 caches in one day, 6 of mine and one of his. We placed them along and near a fire road that rises 2,000 feet in 4.5 miles. The caches consist of ammo cans, micros and small containers. I had walked the roads and trails before to scout the areas I was interested in, but the exact location and coords were determined on that day. When we got done, we had to walk 4.5 miles back down - but that was easy. As it turned out, the local Santa Ana winds were blowing that day so we faced 20-50 mph headwinds - no matter what direction we went. It was fun. Now all we need are more folks that seek them. But that's another thread.

El Diablo

Ugh, here we go again. :( Why tax a braincell worrying about what hasn't come to pass? :(

Actually I taxed several brain cells. You know I'm not that smart that I could contain it to just one. :)

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

I think we've placed 2 or 3 in a day. It's just too difficult to find quality places to hide a quality cache much quicker. Even then it was your typical rural caches in locations we simply stumbled across.

That said, we've placed maybe 4 in a day, but that was after many days of scouting and planning. I don't think those count.

On the flip side, and contrary to what's been said here, I've found a series of caches that were placed in a single day, and the lack of forethought and planning showed. A few cachers have told me they found the first couple or three of the series and then simply put the rest on their ignore list.

On the flip side, and contrary to what's been said here, I've found a series of caches that were placed in a single day, and the lack of forethought and planning showed. A few cachers have told me they found the first couple or three of the series and then simply put the rest on their ignore list.

I second that.

I don't think I've ever hidden more than one cache in a day, and most caches have taken far longer than a day when all the planning is taken into account. I guess I want to savor the experience, make the most of it.

Like a good meal, or other worthwhile activity. I'm not going to brag about how much I've eaten or.... :(

~erik~

I hid four ammo boxes in one day, but only after a full day of scouting and two meetings with the park staff for permission. Total mileage was somewhere around 12 miles.

In an urban setting, the most I've hidden in one day was six. But that was after spending the prior weekend scouting, and some nights that week preparing the containers. The six caches break out as follows:

-- a unique puzzle cache that's still popular three years later

-- a first of its kind container for this area, as stage one of a multicache ending with a full size cache

-- a micro at a little-known scenic overlook of our downtown area, that still gets great logs

-- a micro poking fun at a rather forlorn little park, but the hiding spot is unique

-- a micro under a drinking fountain in a quaint town square that got muggled about 5 months later

-- a lamp post micro that didn't meet my personal standards in hindsight, so I self-archived it after 5 months.

I may be biased, but that collection of caches and the planning that went into it is a bit different from a series of six identical containers hidden in six uninspired locations. Unfortunately if you filter out ALL micros, you miss the scenic tourist overlook, not just the lamp post cache.

Right now I have about five caches in various stages of planning. One was hidden last Sunday and is still awaiting an FTF. The others will be placed gradually now that I am in a hiding mood. Hiding five at once would attract flames, regardless of the planning involved.

My second pending hide is on hold because the planned location had poison ivy, trash and too many muggles when I scouted it. The unique container worked best at that particular spot due to a tie-in with a local landmark. Now I need to start all over on that one. Sometimes the best work that a cache hider does is when he or she decides NOT to hide the cache that's in the backpack.

I think I hid 3 in one day. I have a silly series of 6 caches - 4 of them are dorky micro caches that are easy to find. They are spread all over town and you have to write down the name of the cache and the RED number and the BLACK number. When you hike to the 5th cache (where I once saw a really great flock of wild turkeys while doing a maintenance check) you need those numbers to get the coordinates and combination for the 6th cache which is a .50 cal ammo can fitted with a 4-digit combination lock. There is a nice view from that one.

The only reason I hid 3 in one day is because they were intended to be easy to find and to NOT usurp any great locations that could be used by caches that weren't intended to be simple steps in a series. That made it much easier to find the spots. I had no desire to grab a great spot for one of these "step" caches.

I had to check my stats, but it turns out that I listed 15 of my 'Praetorian Guard' caches on one day. As I recall, I placed about half of them on one day and half the next, so let's say that I placed eight caches in one day. However, I scouted locations for these caches during the two previous weeks.

So the answer to your question is either less than one, eight, or fifteen. :anitongue:

The most I've hidden in a 24 hour period is three. One was denied due to the proximity rule, so only two of them got listed. It took a week for them to get published since they were close to other caches also. (where's the :blackeye: emoticon?) I did this since all three fit to a single theme.

It usually takes me from several days to several weeks to hide one cache. I often make multiple trips to scout as many approach to it as possible. There are plenty of participants and density is high enough that I don't worry about hiding more than one cache at a time. When the prolific hiders in the area are slowing down and cite "maintenance as a hassle" as a factor, that's message enough for me. :anitongue:

Six in order to have some new caches in the area before an event. It was interesting because we were trying to only use parks that didn't already have caches. The result was new caches in parks that had previously had ones go missing! It was interesting when I submitted them to see how close I placed some of them to the locations of some old archived caches. We were happy to find one new area though along a bike path. It took all day to find the six areas. I found that it is much harder to hide caches in urban Illinois than it was in rural Nebraska!

Edited by carleenp

I have placed six caches in a day on six separate dates. None are on power trails. Each day was likely a mix of cache types. One day was a 7 mile hike with lots of elevation gain; all caches were regular size and included a full-size birdhouse. My backpack was very heavy at the start of the hike!

A "Micro" in and of itself doesn't equate to a poor cache. Only the hider can make it poor.

Excellent statement! B)

I think I've hidden 8 or 10 in day. Power-path type series.

DUDE,

You've hiddden way more than that if you consider all the tokens you and Sam personally hid in one day to facilitate the first Texas challenge.

How many did you personally hide that day???

dude, did you even do any research. thinking, mulling, contemplation, analysis, etc. before you planted all those caches? Or did you find the nearest skirts and see if they raised? :laughing:

Are you addressing the OP, or someone else in this thread? :)

If the OP, how about checking my profile before making such an assumption and using the :laughing: emoticon. :laughing:

A simple check of placement dates will highlight periods where hid a series of caches close together.

For the most part, I like to share places that were special to me BEFORE I started geocaching. I know the area around these caches well which facilitated cache placement and cache longevity. There's hardly a TNLNTFTC log on most of my caches. I have caches from that group of 8 placed in one day listed in the top 1% favorites of cachers with 5k+ finds. They are mostly in 4 to 5 star terrain and range in elevation from the mid 7k range up the mid 10k range. You would have also noted that most of my caches listed are regular sized because most are ammo cans.

I haven't hidden a skirt lifter.....yet. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans