Priority Mail

ozymandiasism

Has anyone tried sending a whole bunch of coins using Priority Mail Flat-Rate Envelope? I wonder if they would allow the envelope to have such thickness....

I have sent as many as 14 coins in the Flat Rate Envelope...I wrapped each in newsprint, taped them down to a piece of cardboard, layed another card on top and stapled them together. I probably could have gotten anothe 6 in there. So, $4.05 to ship 20 coins is not a bad deal at all.

Has anyone tried sending a whole bunch of coins using Priority Mail Flat-Rate Envelope? I wonder if they would allow the envelope to have such thickness....

I have sent as many as 14 coins in the Flat Rate Envelope...I wrapped each in newsprint, taped them down to a piece of cardboard, layed another card on top and stapled them together. I probably could have gotten anothe 6 in there. So, $4.05 to ship 20 coins is not a bad deal at all.

yeah, but I use bubble wrap so I'm not sure if that would be considered too big for the "envelop"

No problem. It's a good deal to send anything over 13 ounces via the flat rate envelop. For extra protection, I drop everything into a bubble envelope, put a return address on the that envelope, drop that envelope into the flat rate envelope, and then tape down the ends.

For international shipping over five or six ounces, I've used the small Global Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes, which go to Canada for $4.25 and Europe for $5.25.

The Fairbanks clerks have told me that as long as you can get the envelope to seal, it doesn't matter how thick or heavy it gets.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

No problem. It's a good deal to send anything over 13 ounces via the flat rate envelop. For extra protection, I drop everything into a bubble envelope, put a return address on the that envelope, drop that envelope into the flat rate envelope, and then tape down the ends.

For international shipping over five or six ounces, I've used the small Global Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes, which go to Canada for $4.25 and Europe for 5.25.

The Fairbanks clerks have told me that as long as you can get the envelop to seal, it doesn't matter how thick or heavy it gets.

nice. that's all I need to know.

Thank you.

PS it would almost become a challenge ya know.... see how many coins you can squeeze into the envelope :(

Also remember you can't reinforce the edges with tape, and there is a risk of bursting open. That said, I've been told by USPS that there is no limit to thickness as long as you can get it to fit.

You CAN'T reinforce with tape? meaning... you are not allow to scotch tape over the adhesive seal to ensure nothing falls out???

That is exactlly what I was told at our PO. NO TAPE but no limit on how thick without tape! So like Crake says, you are taking a risk of the envelope coming open with a hefty load in it.

Also remember you can't reinforce the edges with tape, and there is a risk of bursting open. That said, I've been told by USPS that there is no limit to thickness as long as you can get it to fit.

You CAN'T reinforce with tape? meaning... you are not allow to scotch tape over the adhesive seal to ensure nothing falls out???

Guess its what post office you go to ?? , I have mailed 8-10 coins global priority flat rate to the Netherlands , I did tape all the edges as well as the pull strip area where the envelope seals/opens and have had no problems so far (guess thats the secret wording) "so far", as well as one to England and Australia this way. Using clear packing tape . Glenn

I have had no burst or torn mailers here- just lost mail we think was sent non prioroty air. the postie says this is a BIG problem from the US as you have so many options for airmail it is easy to get it wrong with parcels.

he highly reccomends the flate rate envelope for this reason

some of the commercial coin sellers only use this option, hence awful cost to me for one coin - and they arrive just fine with or without a bit of bubble wrap. There is a thin foam I have had coins wrapped in , Corrugated cardboard - another layer of plain card ..... just please NO TAPE on the plastic sleeve !

Someone shipped me a six cd set in 2 of the flat rate and it is the only CD set I have received to date with ALL of those easy to crack plastic cases UNBROKEN.

Aloha -

I ship all my coins using the flat rate mailers - with the coins riding in a smaller bubble envelope inside. I do tape the flap shut - but I do so in the process of taping on the labels that I print with pay-pal - has all the shipping info and postage on it so I can just drop them off at the post office. Never had a complaint (knock on coconut!) :(

Tiki

Guess its what post office you go to ?? , I have mailed 8-10 coins global priority flat rate to the Netherlands , I did tape all the edges as well as the pull strip area where the envelope seals/opens and have had no problems so far (guess thats the secret wording) "so far", as well as one to England and Australia this way. Using clear packing tape . Glenn

Opps wanted to add to this all contents were placed inside a bubble wrapper before placeing in Global Priority flat rate mailer,,also my post was about international..

For State-side 2-3 day Priority,, same method as Tiki,, and all is well..

Its the international busing at seams I tapped edges, Glenn

You can't tape the edges, but you can tape the flap all you want. It seems really silly to me but I've had 3 different post offices and 7 different clerks explain to me that flat rate mailers can not have their integrity "altered" which includes increase the integrity by reinforcing the edges!

For international I ship air mail letter post for < 5oz or so and flat rate priority for heavier packages. They take about the same amount of time from what I can tell.

Don't forget that you don't have to visit the post office to get the envelopes... you can order them on the website and have them delivered to you for FREE! you can get the GPM mailers/forms and the customs forms free as well.

THis is true - but it takes a while (in Hawaii at least) - we tried this method for the last tikicoin release, but the boxes were a no show when the coins were ready! We ended up having to hit two local post offices to get enough mailers - and then guess what showed up on our doorstep a week after we sent all the coins out! :laughing:

At least we will be ready when it comes time for the next coin to ship :laughing: