So, are the Gold Compass Rose coins all gone?

markp99

When I did a refresh on the page and got an error, I figured it had begun. :blink:

I managed to get the page to come up, then another error I think before I got one in my basket, but that was it. I was supposed to order for 3 other people, but by the time I could get to my basket without errors and tried to increase the number they were sold out. :lol:

I just left the Coins & Pins website where I tried to order two Compass Rose Gold coins. I got all the way to the entry of my credit card when it told me the quantity of coins I was ordering changed so it took me to the beginning. Then it showed I had nothing in my basket. I went back the the geocoin page and the Compass Rose no longer showed on the site as far as I could tell. Looks like they are having problems again! I wonder how one orders these coins?

I tried one more time after my post and got in for some and even had to take the add on of the silver Geocache America coin!

I am :lol::blink::)!!

You had to buy the silver one too??!!! A marketing ploy to sell those out I guess!!

Did anyone else manage to snag some? They're not showing in the sold out area so I wonder if they are going to reappear or not

Hmmm.... after reading the posts after mine and seeing that the coin was coming and going, I went back and tried. The coin wasn't showing up but just for the heck of it I checked my basket and it was in there! Went through the entire checkout procedure and it looks like it worked, got the confirmation email and everything. :blink:

Hmmm.... after reading the posts after mine and seeing that the coin was coming and going, I went back and tried. The coin wasn't showing up but just for the heck of it I checked my basket and it was in there! Went through the entire checkout procedure and it looks like it worked, got the confirmation email and everything. :)

You are very lucky!! I put coins into my basket twice now or so I thought. Then nothing on the next screen and then errors. I have checked my basket and it is empty so I guess today isn't my day! :lol::blink:

I also am trying to buy for more than just myself. If there is a number limit I wish they would let us know as we all would decrease our order here to get a few.

Don't know why, but I had no problems with mine. Only wanted one, so I used the buy now button and everything went smooth. Even returned to the original page, saw it was still listed, and bought one more for my sister. I've been emailed two confirmation so I hope they show up. This is too good for my usual luck.

I tried one more time after my post and got in for some and even had to take the add on of the silver Geocache America coin!

You had to buy the silver one too??!!! A marketing ploy to sell those out I guess!!

Did anyone else manage to snag some? They're not showing in the sold out area so I wonder if they are going to reappear or not

Well I did not HAVE to but it was a deal that I did not want to pass up. So this order way blew my budget!

I have been eyeing getting one of those silver coins for some time now.

I think I got thru. Paid and got an invoice number, just had an error saying they couldn't send the confirmation email. So I printed out the "order complete" screen. I think I'm in :blink:

The picture probably won't show up in the Sold Out section until they manually put it there. I'd suggest everyone who hasn't, go check your basket and make sure your coin isn't sitting there waiting for you to pay. Things have probably slowed down a little now on their site.

Darn...getting the error message now. Guess it is not to be for me...time to take Heather to school. If anyone snagged an extra and wants to trage for a copper DresselDragon coin, let me know.

I think I got my order in. I was also ordering for 2 other people, and got a couple extra for myself. If my order comes through, I'll trade for your copper DresselDragon coin! I'll let you know in a couple of days if they show up in my mailbox!

I think I got thru. Paid and got an invoice number, just had an error saying they couldn't send the confirmation email. So I printed out the "order complete" screen. I think I'm in :blink:

The picture probably won't show up in the Sold Out section until they manually put it there. I'd suggest everyone who hasn't, go check your basket and make sure your coin isn't sitting there waiting for you to pay. Things have probably slowed down a little now on their site.

I put them in my basket twice but nothing showed up in the basket after the error. I keep checking the basket to hoping that magically they will appear but its not going to be my day again! I guess they just didn't want to come to live at my house....

Well I did not HAVE to but it was a deal that I did not want to pass up. So this order way blew my budget!

I have been eyeing getting one of those silver coins for some time now.

I managed to buy a Compass Rose, but wasn't able to add addittional ones to my basket. I also planned on buying a silver Geocache America coin- since my basket was a little bare, I bought one of those too!

I just left the Coins & Pins website where I tried to order two Compass Rose Gold coins. I got all the way to the entry of my credit card when it told me the quantity of coins I was ordering changed so it took me to the beginning. Then it showed I had nothing in my basket. I went back the the geocoin page and the Compass Rose no longer showed on the site as far as I could tell. Looks like they are having problems again! I wonder how one orders these coins?

Looks like you were not fast enough completing your order, and it looks like I was 1 hour late because I did not know about the difference between EST and EST5EDT (or maybe the website I used to check first is not the best) ... well, I still don't know why those 2 exist, but now I know at least about those 2 and about the 1 hour difference. Ya not so easy for us from Europe. So no Compass Rose Gold geocoins for both of us.

None here either. :blink:

Sheesh, as a brand new collector, I'm already giving up on C & P and the Compass Rose coins.

Congrats to those (lucky few) of you who managed to order some!

I belive they call that supply and demand. If they made 1000 gold compass rose geocoins

they would not be as rare. People normally don't collect things that are easy to obtain.

Don't give up on them they produce nice coins. The demand was bigger than the supply!

That makes them Collectable :lol:

Tim

Edited by SlabyFam

Your going to have to pardon my tone here, but I don't understand why people get so worked up about this coin that causes them to send us rude emails. It is really weird and some people who have shown understanding towards us have also told us that this whole situation became so weird with how some people have acted about this coin. Two people have even commented on how there must be crack laced in the coin. I like what Hula Bum said "It's not a kidney'. We do not mind constructive criticism and have made several changes due to nice suggestions by customers, but unjustified rudeness will not be tolerated by us.

The problems with the website today were because the coins sold out within 5 minutes. If you did not complete your order within that time, then your basket came up empty. Sorry, but that is not my fault, that is from other people ordering fast. Like I stated in my email "Keep in mind there are not very many Compass Rose coins left, so ordering will be difficult." It's not like I kept people in the dark about what to expect, and it's not like I mislead anyone.

If you got an error webpage, then it is because too many people were on the site at one time, and those finalizing orders took priority over those who had not reached that point yet. Like I stated in my email While the website is not fully ready to handle the kind of situation that happened last time, some upgrades have been made."..."A true fix to the website will take longer than anticipated, but we want to ensure we get the real upgrades done with quality rather than rush the process." So this means that we are working a proper fix, but it is not fully ready yet. We wanted to get the rest of the batch sold now so that we can move on to our next projects and fixes. We are working 3 months ahead here and the 2006 Compass Rose is old news to us at this point.

If you are upset because we did not make enough of these coins, then I am sorry but we made how many we thought would sell within a few weeks. We had no idea they would sell this fast or have this kind of demand. Some people have said we should have taken reservations before hand so that we could have made enough, but we don't do business this way. We make the coins, and then sell them when they are on the shelf. Some people like this because they know there will not be any delays with their shipment, and their money does not sit in limbo for long periods of time. I know of a lot of geocachers that get upset when they order coins that have not started production yet, then delays happen and they don't get their coins for 4-10 weeks after they have ordered them. So I guess we can't win either way we do it. The other problem with doing advanced sales or reservations is that we get bombarded with emails of people constantly emailing "what is the status?", "when will they be ready?", "I have ordered a long time ago and have not received an update", "It's been 3 weeks since I placed my order and now I want to cancel my order", etc, etc, etc; those emails slow down the whole process since it takes time to answer all of them. Therefore we will stick with selling coins that we have in stock since it is the surest and fastest way for the customers that have paid.

At any rate, if we did make a whole bunch of the coins, then they would not be as special as they are, right? Then we would get negative responses about how we flooded the market. Again we can't win either way.

If anyone wants to be removed from our mailing list because they are upset with the sale, then please email orders@coinsandpins.com and we will gladly remove you right away.

Pardon me if I don't respond to any of these forum posts for a little while, if at all, since I have to get to another meeting with my website people and get to work on other issues.

By the way, I really appreciate the support several of you have shown. It is good to know there are people out there who understand how these things work and that not everything goes perfectly. Sometimes there are bumps in the road no matter how hard you try to prevent them.

(Edit spelling)

Edited by CoinsAndPins

None here either. :blink:

Sheesh, as a brand new collector, I'm already giving up on C & P and the Compass Rose coins.

Congrats to those (lucky few) of you who managed to order some!

I belive they call that supply and demand. If they made 1000 gold compass rose geocoins

they would not be as rare. People normally don't collect things that are easy to obtain.

Don't give up on them they produce nice coins. The demand was bigger than the supply!

That makes them Collectable :lol:

Tim

Exactly! Thanks for your support.

Yep, no matter what you do, you can't please everyone. Plus, a timed sale only guarantees that your site will be hit with an obsene amount of traffic at that time.

Do you have an ETA on those magic coins? And will other new coin designs be offered at the same time as them or will you just scatter new coins sales over the course of a few weeks?

Your going to have to pardon my tone here, but I don't understand why people get so worked up about this coin that causes them to send us rude emails. It is really weird and some people who have shown understanding towards us have also told us that this whole situation became so weird with how some people have acted about this coin. Two people have even commented on how there must be crack laced in the coin. I like what Hula Bum said "It's not a kidney'. We do not mind constructive criticism and have made several changes due to nice suggestions by customers, but unjustified rudeness will not be tolerated by us.

The problems with the website today were because the coins sold out within 5 minutes. If you did not complete your order within that time, then your basket came up empty. Sorry, but that is not my fault, that is from other people ordering fast. Like I stated in my email "Keep in mind there are not very many Compass Rose coins left, so ordering will be difficult." It's not like I kept people in the dark about what to expect, and it's not like I mislead anyone.

If you got an error webpage, then it is because too many people were on the site at one time, and those finalizing orders took priority over those who had not reached that point yet. Like I stated in my email While the website is not fully ready to handle the kind of situation that happened last time, some upgrades have been made."..."A true fix to the website will take longer than anticipated, but we want to ensure we get the real upgrades done with quality rather than rush the process." So this means that we are working a proper fix, but it is not fully ready yet. We wanted to get the rest of the batch sold now so that we can move on to our next projects and fixes. We are working 3 months ahead here and the 2006 Compass Rose is old news to us at this point.

If you are upset because we did not make enough of these coins, then I am sorry but we made how many we thought would sell within a few weeks. We had no idea they would sell this fast or have this kind of demand. Some people have said we should have taken reservations before hand so that we could have made enough, but we don't do business this way. We make the coins, and then sell them when they are on the shelf. Some people like this because they know there will not be any delays with their shipment, and their money does not sit in limbo for long periods of time. I know of a lot of geocachers that get upset when they order coins that have not started production yet, then delays happen and they don't get their coins for 4-10 weeks after they have ordered them. So I guess we can't win either way we do it. The other problem with doing advanced sales or reservations is that we get bombarded with emails of people constantly emailing "what is the status?", "when will they be ready?", "I have ordered a long time ago and have not received an update", "It's been 3 weeks since I placed my order and now I want to cancel my order", etc, etc, etc; those emails slow down the whole process since it takes time to answer all of them. Therefore we will stick with selling coins that we have in stock since it is the surest and fastest way for the customers that have paid.

At any rate, if we did make a whole bunch of the coins, then they would not be as special as they are, right? Then we would get negative responses about how we flooded the market. Again we can't win either way.

If anyone wants to be removed from our mailing list because they are upset with the sale, then please email orders@coinsandpins.com and we will gladly remove you right away.

Pardon me if I don't respond to any of these forum posts for a little while, if at all, since I have to get to another meeting with my website people and get to work on other issues.

By the way, I really appreciate the support several of you have shown. It is good to know there are people out there who understand how these things work and that not everything goes perfectly. Sometimes there are bumps in the road no matter how hard you try to prevent them.

I AGREE 100% !

Hmmm.... coin, kidney, coin, kidney. I'll have to think about it :lol: . But seriously, acknowledged flaws in the system aside, imagine any one of yourselves in your respective jobs seeing that kind of customer demand in that short of a period. Then imagine your computer crashing repeatedly while the customers howl. These guys are working stiffs just like the rest of us. They acknowledged that they had no idea the coin would create this kind of demand. Lucky them. Look at how many other coins languish for months before selling out. I will lay odds that not only will the '07 coin exceed the '06 in beauty, but that they will also up the production in anticipation. And I'll be in line hoping to get lucky :blink: .

It's apparent that some people are going to criticize CoinsAndPins no matter what they do, or no matter how hard they try to make these coins available to everyone.

Look folks, there was no secret webpage, there was no early bird sale, and EVERYONE had an equal chance to purchase the same product. How is that unfair to anyone? They made it completely fair by opening up sales to EVERYONE at the EXACT SAME TIME, and it's absolutely ridiculous to criticize them for this. Shame on those of you who are sending rude emails. This is a service, take it or leave it. Aaron and Tess told everybody how and when it was going to happen, so they've done absolutely nothing wrong except offer a popular product. Would you rather the coins just pop up on their website at random? They'd get criticized for that too, I'm sure. It's a tried and true fact of life that you can't please everybody. But they do a dadgum good job of trying anyway now don't they?

Just this morning at 10am, tickets went on sale for an upcoming concert here in Pittsburgh. Sure enough, I got beat to the best seats because there were about 2000 other people out there trying to do the same thing. That's the breaks. That's how the internet works. Ticketmaster is a multi-national corporate entity and I STILL had a problem with their webpage not accepting my credit card information. So, if you think that Aaron and Tess should upgrade their webservices to super-fast, super-expensive capabilities just to sell geocoins, you're being unreasonable. And if you're sending rude emails on top of that, then why don't you go kick a puppy while you're at it? Jeeze. :blink:

Everyone who tried to buy coins this morning had the same chances. Those who were patient and took their time and kept trying, were rewarded.

It isn't Coins & Pins fault that their product was so popular. Other sites have had the same frustrating problems, when selling popular coins, and we are sure there will be other times when this same problem arises. I don't think there are many sites out there that could handle the kind of traffic we are talking about here.

Nasty e-mails are totally uncalled for. Coins & Pins did all they could do to be fair to everyone.

Everyone who tried to buy coins this morning had the same chances. Those who were patient and took their time and kept trying, were rewarded.

It isn't Coins & Pins fault that their product was so popular. Other sites have had the same frustrating problems, when selling popular coins, and we are sure there will be other times when this same problem arises. I don't think there are many sites out there that could handle the kind of traffic we are talking about here.

Nasty e-mails are totally uncalled for. Coins & Pins did all they could do to be fair to everyone.

Well I do think I need to respond here. I was patient and didn't refresh every few seconds. I had only one window open. The coin was there and I put them in my basket and then error--out of memory-- or some such thing and I checked my basket but nothing was there. I again saw them up and tried again so some were still available when I was doing this. Again the same thing happened. This was before 8:33. Now if they had sold out the first time I tried between the time I put the quantity I wanted in the basket and the time I clicked then they wouldn't have been seen the second time I tried. That is my criticism. From the time of the posts in this thread I can only assume that others bought after this happened to me.

I do know they tried but I also tried to spend my money also. Do I want to get these coins--you bet I do. But I am very frustrated at this moment feeling they were there and then taken away just like that......

Edited by LadyBee4T

Some people are probably just in a sour mood right now because the disappointment is fresh. If people would wait a day to send a duisgruntled e-mail it would probably be worded with more civility (or not sent at all).

I wasn't able to get more than 1, so the others I was ordering for will miss out, but thems the breaks. I expected it to go fast (though not quite that fast) and we were told there weren't many left. I'm sure lots were sold in total, so they're out there somewhere, waiting for a trade. :blink:

I have to agree. Coins & Pins did everything they could to make it fair to everybody. The people that are unhappy should be aiming their rude comments and frustrations to the one's that were trying to buy as many as possible just to turn around and sell them. Do they care that the true collectors here didn't get one. I think NOT !!! I'm sure we will see within the next week or so just who those lucky ones were just tune your dial to the E-Place !!!

I was thinking about this last night. I work at a bank, so I didn't even have internet access during the time that it was on sale. Perhaps they should have been taking reservations, and do a random drawing for the coin sales, sending invoices to the lucky people whose names were drawn. Perhaps they could have had it computer generated to make it easier.

All in all, I've seen the silver one in person, and it is beautiful. I don't care for gold too much, so I don' know if i would have liked it or not. Hard to say until you see it in person!

I have to agree. Coins & Pins did everything they could to make it fair to everybody. The people that are unhappy should be aiming their rude comments and frustrations to the one's that were trying to buy as many as possible just to turn around and sell them. Do they care that the true collectors here didn't get one. I think NOT !!! I'm sure we will see within the next week or so just who those lucky ones were just tune your dial to the E-Place !!!

Greetings, I truly hope you don't think this of the whole community. I was fortunate enough to buy these when they first went on sale from usageocoins and coins&pins. I have since Traded 4 of them to 57chevy for his Compass Rose Geocoin contest. Another traded to another cacher, and 2 trades pending for others. Did I sell one on the E place yes, and I may sell another, but then again I also have one available on my trade list, with a long seeking list. And not to mention that I gifted 1 coin away to another cacher. Please don't place one shoe on ever ones foot, it won't fit. Glenn : - )