Garmin Maps for South Korea~

orionspants

I'm back in Korea and have barely used my gps mainly due to the fact that i don't have a decent base map of korea (plus a lack of caches in my area). garmin refered me to the SK website, but i called them and they said the version they have is not compatable with the legend cx.

tried using mapwel to start creating maps from korean road/hiking ones, but i would have to quite my job and work round the clock just to do half my city! maybe i just don't know how to use the program? seems to me you just trace over whatever map you open and feed in the co-ordinates. . .then upload them directly to your gps. . .i dunno, mine's only a couple months old and i don't wanna trash it.

there must be a way to alter the korean mapsource map to make it compatable, no? if anyone in korea could offer some advice or send/lend me a copy of it to play with a bit (not quite sure what i'll do) i would greatly appreciate it. don't really want to shell out $115 just to find out i've bought an extremely expensive coaster~ i'm down in busan, will hopefully be creating a few caches around here soon (since there's only one on the go) map or no map. . .

thanks for any help in advance~ :blink:

Hey orionspants,

I have the Garmin 76CS that has a base map built in (that covers the S. Korea area ok), but to be honest with you, I don’t even use the map feature. I just download the waypoints, and use the ADF (auto direction finder) needle to point to the cache. I do combine the Google Earth research first, but I find that does a good job. I am up in Pyongteak (Camp Humphreys).

I hope this helps.

Geo-Dora

:mad:

Map is not that importance but add to a bid convenience. The waypoint and the navigation arrow will do the job. If you have a detail map in South Korea in English, but the road name was is Korean. How do you read it. I have same problem in Thailand. Even with the road map and waypoint. I can reached the GZ and found the cache.

Basemaps are a crutch! :laughing: Just kidding - when I first came to Korea I missed having a decent basemap, too. Eventually I convinced myself that not having a basemap added to the sense of adventure and accomplishment. Now that I think about it, though, I haven't logged that many caches here in Korea..... :ph34r: