software for an IPAQ 4300 and nokia GPS device

cacheolyn

Hello I'm brand new.

I visited Cacheolater in Sweden in June and she took me geocaching in the forests.. I got hooked. I gather things are a little more restricted here, huh (apart from the tiny size of our island )

Now the 'blur' question... I'm looking for the software / maps etc; have the IPAQ pocket PC 4300 (it does have bluetooth) and a nokia GPS device. The guy at Funan said they were compatible, having checked with nokia.

So can anyone help me source the software please or point me gently in the right direction? Was so excited to get started, now I realise I should have come here first :blink: .

Looking forward to hearing from you

a very newbie

Cacheolyn, Tampines

Ahh.. welcome! :blink:

Wah.. luckily I'm kaypoh and occasionally check new postings... Otherwise I would never have seen this very "Singaporean" post. All these local names like katong, tampines, funan.. who else will understand? LOL..

I suggest you move your question to the Singapore thread if you want a local answer. Maybe other geocachers from Singapore who use PDA's can assist you. Or else you can search the forum under "GPS Units and Software".

Can't advise you cos we're using Garmin GPS.

For a very good map of Singapore and Malaysia, I would recommend www.malsingmaps.com which can be used for Garmin but I'm not sure about PDA - u need to read their forums and research a bit.

Good luck and hope to see you finding caches soon!

You can use Garmin Que, BT-GPSr with malsingmap, But I don't know how good for geocaching.

best you visited www.ppcsg.com for advice on setting up Garmin Que or you can PM me.

I am using Dopod 818 pro, Garmin Que and just started to get familiar with it.

I tested software like beelineGPS, GPS tuner still not up to my expectation.

I am also a newbie to the sport and did my first geocaching yesterday in Hong Kong, China. luckly I found two caches nearby with my HP 4510 + a cheap GPS+bluetooth box made in china. Yesterday I use beelineGPS software, but actually it's not good especiall when the cache is near. And I search the google last night and found another great software for ppc, VITO,Navigater II, it looks cool, but I have not have a in field try of it.

It's just my personal advice, there is some problem when using such seeking suit. There is no electronical campass !!! When I stop the box can not give out the direction of North and frequently gives wrong direction when you other turn around with the path when in the wild. I think the handhold GPS maybe the best choice but the PPC+GPS box should be a cheap and other not too bad one.

all gpsr working the same principle. as long as you moving at certain speed it will give you the correct direction. You standstill it will not work properly. Majourity of GPSr will freeze up the position when the speed too low and it will not sensitive.

For Geocaching try looking for GPSr which support walking mode. Some Garmin set which designed for geocaching in mind/

Another which I am using was nhGPS. But it only work with Symbian UIQ like SonyEricsson P800 to P910i and Motorola A1000 etc. It was the best I encouter.

PPC I can't find any better then nhGPS.

Edited by thsalbert