How to keep from going crazy...

RealWorldAvatars

Okay, so my personal geocoins have been "in process" for nearly two months now. It took the minting company many iterations to turn my very simple design into an acceptable template (and then two more iterations to correct their spelling), and when the photos of the sample coin were finally delivered, it was heartbreakingly disappointing in its inaccuracy. They're creating a new die now, but that will apparently take just as long as the first die did (three weeks), and at this point, I'm close to developing some kind of nervous twitch.

So other than staring at the template about twenty times a day, and admiring photos of other people's geocoins, and trying to decide which cache would be best to put coin #0001 in, and staring at the template just a couple more times, is there anything I can do to keep from going insane while I wait?

Is there a Geocoins Anonymous? :blink:

Okay, so my personal geocoins have been "in process" for nearly two months now. It took the minting company many iterations to turn my very simple design into an acceptable template (and then two more iterations to correct their spelling), and when the photos of the sample coin were finally delivered, it was heartbreakingly disappointing in its inaccuracy. They're creating a new die now, but that will apparently take just as long as the first die did (three weeks), and at this point, I'm close to developing some kind of nervous twitch.

So other than staring at the template about twenty times a day, and admiring photos of other people's geocoins, and trying to decide which cache would be best to put coin #0001 in, and staring at the template just a couple more times, is there anything I can do to keep from going insane while I wait?

I feel for you...

Is it too much ask what company?

I feel for you...

Is it too much ask what company?

I think there may be one of those !!!

Maybe you want to come to my house and help me:

1> print labels

2> sort coins

cuz when the coins come... the real work begine

I have an order coming any day and want to be ready to ...unpack... and repack

Cache ON !!!

Thats why I prefer to pass the coin distributions over to the company that helped me get the coins made.

For my personal coin, I only had 50 made, so it was just a matter of working out trades. For the AZ 2006 coin, I didn't want to worry about the same problems that the WY coins suffered so I passed the shipping duties off to the professionals.

I do feel for your pain about waiting for the coins to arrive. It seemed like forever while I was waiting for my personal coins to arrive. Once they did, I was busy getting all the envelopes labeled and sealed and weighed for shipping. Then there's the next wait... for all your trades to come in.

You could start planning a "Geocoins Anonymous" Geocoin :blink::o:)

This coin has already been minted

284.gif

I don't mean to add to your frustrations, but I contacted a company September 13th to inquire on having a coin minted in a 30 day time frame, they told me it was possible :D .

During the talks, they had sent off the request to have the art drawn up. Please realize I submitted no art work, rather gave my ideas and suggestions B) . Two changes to the art work later and I signed it off this afternnoon :D .

Coins are on there way to the mint and should have them by the 13th of October, now thats service :D .

You could start planning a "Geocoins Anonymous" Geocoin :DB):D

I don't mean to add to your frustrations, but I contacted a company September 13th to inquire on having a coin minted in a 30 day time frame, they told me it was possible :blink: .

During the talks, they had sent off the request to have the art drawn up. Please realize I submitted no art work, rather gave my ideas and suggestions :o . Two changes to the art work later and I signed it off this afternnoon :D .

Coins are on there way to the mint and should have them by the 13th of October, now thats service :) .

Is it kosher to ask which company you contacted? I have a couple of very rough ideas about what I want on a coin, but am challenged in the creativity department. Thanks!

I don't mean to add to your frustrations, but I contacted a company September 13th to inquire on having a coin minted in a 30 day time frame, they told me it was possible :blink: .

During the talks, they had sent off the request to have the art drawn up. Please realize I submitted no art work, rather gave my ideas and suggestions :o . Two changes to the art work later and I signed it off this afternnoon :D .

Coins are on there way to the mint and should have them by the 13th of October, now thats service :) .

Is it kosher to ask which company you contacted? I have a couple of very rough ideas about what I want on a coin, but am challenged in the creativity department. Thanks!

Email sent.

Email sent.

Email me also please. Thank you.

You guys rock. :(:) And that goes double for the coin-hungry geodog with the perked-up ears. It seems that the answer for "what to do while waiting" is "read more forum posts!"

I'll be happy to share the name of the glacial-slow minting company, but I'd rather not post it publicly (mainly out of paranoia that they'll somehow find it and purposely delay my order further, heh). So if you're keen to know, just drop me a line.

Meanwhile, Damenace, if you could add me to the list of folks who are keenly interested in hearing the name of a speedy n' good company, I'd be quite grateful. I'm also looking forward to hearing how yours come out! Since I'm only having 300 coins made this run, and (barring freak meat-packing accident or alien abduction) I'm certain I'll find more caches than that over the next couple of years, I'm eventually going to need more coins. And I'm equally certain I won't be using the same minter, heh.

*hugs* to everyone for helping keep me sane! :(

Edited by RealWorldAvatars

Well, you could take satisfaction in knowing that you saved another person from the same frustration you're going through. Damenace was kind enough to email me with the name of the company he's using and I think, based on his endorsement, I'll use them.

Hope your coins are well worth the wait!

P.S., please email me with the name of the company you're not recommending.

Many thanks! Chance...

Bud says we could go looking for suicidal cats.....

fe304fbf-520d-417f-a93b-bca3a0343d09.jpg

Or maybe deer hunting!

04295d97-9f1a-4381-a96c-5cbc6b174cdf.jpg

That was a pretty lucky fawn, Bud gave it a few sniffs and a couple of licks, as if to ask Are you okay?

We then went on to find the cache and Bud went for a swim in the river. On the way back out, we had to stop and check again.

999967e3-3b0b-4f02-914a-5ceae6c95878.jpg

The fawn was very much alive and I am sure the chase would have been on had it tried to run. I looked around for the doe and could not locate her. It is a good thing this fawn was was discovered by my gentle giant. Glen

*wuvs all over the geodog* :anitongue: Here's hoping that cat survived her stereotypical curiosity.

Well, I have to admit that I finally snapped this morning. The second sample came in, and it was nearly identical to the very unsatisfactory first one. Not one of the changes I very politely pointed out last time has been made. It's been seven weeks since I first paid my deposit on the coins, I have nothing to show for it except a growing ulcer, and ALL I WANT ARE SOME PRETTY COINS! *realizes that she's standing on a soapbox with her fist in the air, grins with embarrassment, and steps down* Anyway, I called them up and requested my deposit back... we'll see if that happens.

Many thanks to the folks here who've recommended other minting companies over the past couple of days. I contacted one an hour or so ago, and we'll see what they have to say about the design, pricing, and schedule. Hoping to have good news!

*more hugs all around to the helpful forum denizens, and a skritch for the doggie*

<_< CindyV (Mrs. RWA)

I hope you find happiness with your coin.

I would switch companies for sure at this point.

We were very happy with our coin maker and the coins were done in just 6 weeks and they had to be sent back to the mint for an error to be fixed. But still we got the perfect finished product in 6 weeks.

I am sure some one has already suggested them to you. B)

Okay, wow.

Remember when I said I'd contacted a different minting company this morning? Well, not only did they send me a quote in record time, but they had a coin mockup done in under five hours that looks absolutely gorgeous. I mean, really gorgeous. And they say the coins would be ready to ship in 14 days.

Again, BIG THANKS to everyone here who recommended their favorite mint, and even moreso for helping me to realize it was time to make a change. With my limited (read: nonexistant) understanding of the minting process, I had sort of assumed that my experience so far was pretty normal. I'm very, very happy to be proven wrong. B)B)B)

Once we work out the perfect design, I'll post the final mockup here!

Okay, wow.

Remember when I said I'd contacted a different minting company this morning? Well, not only did they send me a quote in record time, but they had a coin mockup done in under five hours that looks absolutely gorgeous. I mean, really gorgeous. And they say the coins would be ready to ship in 14 days.

Again, BIG THANKS to everyone here who recommended their favorite mint, and even moreso for helping me to realize it was time to make a change. With my limited (read: nonexistant) understanding of the minting process, I had sort of assumed that my experience so far was pretty normal. I'm very, very happy to be proven wrong. B)B)B)

Once we work out the perfect design, I'll post the final mockup here!

Congratulations on getting your coin made. When you are ready, can we trade?

Here's hoping that cat survived her stereotypical curiosity.

That was at an event in Mahaska Kansas, It was just a few seconds later when Bud decided enough was enough and took off. I was trying to get an even closer photo, to make a long story short, I went for a belly slide. I was holding the camera up with my right hand and trying to stop Bud's charge with my left. The cat found overdrive and the safety of a tree. B) It was good entertainment for the fifty or so people that were around. B) Glen

edited for the typical spelling problems...

Edited by RattlingCrew

Silly, SILLY kitty! :laughing::( It sounds like something our boys would do; they're fearless in their lifelong mission to make friends with absolutely anyone and everything... particularly if there's even the tiniest of chances that somebody might skritch their bellies.

-------------------------------

All righty! As promised, I hereby illustrate the reason I should have asked for references HERE before getting started on my coin project the first time. *drumroll*

Here's what the first company took nearly two weeks and many, many revisions to deliver:

RWA-geocoin-FINAL-2.jpg

And here's what the new company sent in less than 24 hours (thanks to watermarking, I guess I'm not fooling anyone as to which company I chose from among your kind recommendations, heh):

RWA-geocoin-FINAL-3.jpg

Still needs a few tweaks, but wow. :laughing: Wow-wow. In one day, I've gone from so-angry-I'm-sobbing to so-happy-I'd-be-dancing-if-I-wasn't-overweight-and-middle-aged. :laughing: THANK YOU SO MUCH, EVERYONE.

Although these coins will be primarily to leave in caches as RWA's signature item, or occasionally given or traded in person if I ever go to an event, I owe their existence to you folks. So if anyone who sent me recommendations (for a dizzying variety of companies, by the way, heehee!) ever wants to swap their own personal coin for one, you have a deal. :lol: I'm sooooooooo happy!

Thats why I prefer to pass the coin distributions over to the company that helped me get the coins made.

For my personal coin, I only had 50 made, so it was just a matter of working out trades. For the AZ 2006 coin, I didn't want to worry about the same problems that the WY coins suffered so I passed the shipping duties off to the professionals.

I do feel for your pain about waiting for the coins to arrive. It seemed like forever while I was waiting for my personal coins to arrive. Once they did, I was busy getting all the envelopes labeled and sealed and weighed for shipping. Then there's the next wait... for all your trades to come in.

Could you email me the name of the company you used? Are these coins trackable?

Thanks Howard

Heehee!

It's a sad fact of life that cats, no matter how friendly, make lousy caching companions. They don't sniff out tupperware, they don't blaze trails, they can't find their way back to the car, and frankly, they'd rather spend the day lounging in a sunbeam than trekking through the woods. So my boys stayed home while hubby and I went up to the mountains yesterday.

Maybe I should borrow your doggies! :huh:

Bud says we could go looking for suicidal cats.....

Or maybe deer hunting!

04295d97-9f1a-4381-a96c-5cbc6b174cdf.jpg

That was a pretty lucky fawn, Bud gave it a few sniffs and a couple of licks, as if to ask Are you okay?

We then went on to find the cache and Bud went for a swim in the river. On the way back out, we had to stop and check again.

999967e3-3b0b-4f02-914a-5ceae6c95878.jpg

The fawn was very much alive and I am sure the chase would have been on had it tried to run. I looked around for the doe and could not locate her. It is a good thing this fawn was was discovered by my gentle giant. Glen

Actually, that's pretty common for does & fawns. Fawns have no scent the first few weeks of their lives - it's a defensive thing. The doe will park the fawn somewhere, who will lie perfectly still (as you and Bud noticed!) and the doe will go forage. She comes back after a few hours (or sometimes as much as a day) and picks up the fawn.

Our dog found one like that once - the doe came by later to pick up the fawn.

They're sure cute, though, aren't they?

They sure are cute, Bud was just a curious puppy. My other two shepherds would have done some chewing I am afraid. I knew about the no scent thing before and we commonly find them in unharvested wheat when running the combine. They will lay there and let a combine pass over them, amazing. It was nice to see Bud being so gentle, as he is a real powerhouse. Glen

You could start planning a "Geocoins Anonymous" Geocoin :laughing::ph34r::o

This coin has already been minted

284.gif

I don't mean to add to your frustrations, but I contacted a company September 13th to inquire on having a coin minted in a 30 day time frame, they told me it was possible :huh: .

During the talks, they had sent off the request to have the art drawn up. Please realize I submitted no art work, rather gave my ideas and suggestions :rolleyes: . Two changes to the art work later and I signed it off this afternnoon :( .

Coins are on there way to the mint and should have them by the 13th of October, now thats service <_< .

Alright I thought I would give an update on the status of the coin that I was talking about. Reminder, talked to mint on the 13th signed off artwork on the 19th. Received all 125 coins yesterday. Yes, do the numbers 23 days, now that is service!!!

Unfortunetly they are not trackable so I cannot post image, sorry.

I don't mean to add to your frustrations, but I contacted a company September 13th to inquire on having a coin minted in a 30 day time frame, they told me it was possible <_< .

GAGE8 coins were done in about 3 weeks from first artwork sent to mint to box-o-coins on my doorstep. However, the artwork we sent was copy ready in vector format and we'd spent time on it beforehand.

geoSquid coins were 6 weeks start to finish, the extra time being allocated to the shipment of samples for selection of finish on the coins. Again, copy ready artwork was sent at the start. I went through a run of samples because although I had the general design figured out, there were some options that I just couldn't simulate on paper/Photoshop and needed to see.

GAGE9 coins are looking to be just shy of 4 week start to finish, and once again with copy-ready artwork.

As you can see, there's a common theme <_< For all three of those coins, there was a few weeks to a month sorting out the artwork without involving the minting company. The artwork was presented in vector format Photoshop files. This made the die-art step very easy, I suspect, thereby speeding the process.

I have used Oak Coins every time.

For tokens I've been using geocoins.net and they've been fast on the order of a week-ish when handed copy-ready artwork, but that's been for wooden nickels and aluminum tokens, so it's a bit less complex.

Is there a Geocoins Anonymous? <_<

I find that beer helps.

BIG STRESS TIME:

I just got an email with a tracking number... looks like my first-ever geocoins will arrive tomorrow! All the little worries about whether the actual coins will be better than the other minting service's are back in a vicious flock, and fluttering madly around my stomach. :rolleyes: I guess it's time to take Shop99er's advice and roll out the barrel, so to speak.

*pours a round for the house*

Keep your fingers crossed!

Life craps in my Cheerios again. :) I hereby give up on trying to have a really nice, well-engraved signature geocoin made, because obviously fate has decreed that this is impossible. My fault, I suppose, for assuming that any company out there gives a whit about the customer's needs once their money is in hand. A pox on any industry which requires payment before the final product is delivered.

I'm going out for chocolate. LOTS of chocolate. And maybe some ice cream.