Some great Batteries

aquafuzz

:blink: I found some great batteries. Their a little pricy but the last for ever. I'm using them in my GPS76 and i have been trying to drain them with no luck. I've ran the unit w/ the light for about 1hr and continously for 3hrs and have had total run time so far of 24+ hrs, and still showing a full battery bar. Garmin says the 76 should last about 16hrs.

The batteries are the "Energizer E2 Lithium". Look for them at your local Home Depot, Lowes or Hardware store.

Let me know if you have had the same success as I have.

Thanks,

aquafuzz

I have used the Lithiums with great success. However, as you stated they are a little pricey. I find my Energizer 2500mah betteries coupled with the 15min charger to provide very good life per charge. They dont last as long as the lithiums, but you dont have to keep buying them. Ill be glad when rechargeable lithiums become more mainstream.

Check this out. 3000mah!

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Dry-ce.../1000361376.htm

EDIT: Heres what looks to be a Lithium RECHARGEABLE in a AA form factor. Although its only rated at 2100mah.

Edited by Fhantazm

:laughing: I found some great batteries. Their a little pricy but the last for ever. I'm using them in my GPS76 and i have been trying to drain them with no luck. I've ran the unit w/ the light for about 1hr and continously for 3hrs and have had total run time so far of 24+ hrs, and still showing a full battery bar. Garmin says the 76 should last about 16hrs.

The batteries are the "Energizer E2 Lithium". Look for them at your local Home Depot, Lowes or Hardware store.

Let me know if you have had the same success as I have.

Thanks,

aquafuzz

When I looked into it, the AA lithium batteries from Everready provide about 2X the life at about 1/2X the weight: or a 4X performance improvment in power for weight. This is the key for expeditions where weight is critical.

I use lithiums in the mountains and alkaline cells around town.

was wondering do they have rechargeable lithium battery for 2 AA and 3 AAA etc...if so do you know the website or where we can find it and how much is it?

so does anyone know anything about rechargeable lithium in 2AAs?? are they available? if not, why cant they built it? i am sure many will want to buy it right? my digital camera Canon G6 lithium ion battery last up to 300-600 shots photos!!! and the battery is execellent! it is soooo great....now imagine if we could have such a battery for our GPS!!! in 2AA

What you're describing is commonly available in the RCR-V3 package. They're spotty in GPS as they have a somewhat odd form factor, but the term "RCR-V3" is specific enough that your favorite search engine should be able to focus on that well.

Do note that rechargeable LiIon gives up some of the capacity, price, and weight appeal of disposable LiIon.

What you're describing is commonly available in the RCR-V3 package. They're spotty in GPS as they have a somewhat odd form factor, but the term "RCR-V3" is specific enough that your favorite search engine should be able to focus on that well.

Do note that rechargeable LiIon gives up some of the capacity, price, and weight appeal of disposable LiIon.

I don't know what is RCR-V3 package is all about...but does it fit in the GPS 60CSX? cuz we use 2 AA batteries.

I did a search on RCR-V3 on Amazon and it came to this link:

RCR-V3

It is the size of 2 AA batteries side by side. Li-Ion cells are 3 to 4 volts so need to replace 2 AA batteries. The problems is not all battery compartment will let them fit. I don't know if anyone has tried in a 60Cx as Ni-MH provide more capacity.

Hi thanks for your input...what I really want to know is if this product Delkin eFilm DD RCR-V3 - Battery charger 2 x CR-V3 Li-Ion from amazon will fit in my 60CSX GPS...

Right now the battery I have been using are from Sanyo Ni-MH 2500 with 1.2 V per battery. So is this means that total voltage I have is 2.4V total? So the does this means that the Lithium Ion RCR-V3 on Amazon will have enough voltage for my GPS unit right?

And your last statement said "I don't know if anyone has tried in a 60Cx as Ni-MH provide more capacity." so does this means that the 2 Ni-MH we use has more voltage than the RCR-V3? I am kind of confused cuz I never knew what RCR-V3 before

The three RCR-V3 Lith-Ion I saw in Amazon are:

1. Lenmar CRV-3 Replacement Li-ion Battery and Charger $23.95USD

2. elkin Devices DD/RCR-V3 Rechargeable CR-V3 Battery with Charger $32.99USD

3. Delkin eFilm DD RCR-V3 - Battery charger 2 x CR-V3 Li-Ion $45.73

Now my other question is why don't battery manufacture makes 2 AA battery that are in Lithium? is it difficult for them? or not enough people demand it in the market or what?

Maybe someone can go into a bussiness selling 2 AA Lithium for GPS and make it fits the model design for it!!!

OK, to compare A-h rating you need to equalize to the same voltage. Best to change to mW-h

2 off 1.2V, 2500 mA-h batteries give 2500 mA-h at 2.4V or 2.4x2500 = 6000 mW-h

1 off 3.0 V, 1350 mA-h battery gives 3x1350 = 4050 mW-h

So the NiMH have about 150% the capacity of the Li-Ion.

OK, to compare A-h rating you need to equalize to the same voltage. Best to change to mW-h

2 off 1.2V, 2500 mA-h batteries give 2500 mA-h at 2.4V or 2.4x2500 = 6000 mW-h

1 off 3.0 V, 1350 mA-h battery gives 3x1350 = 4050 mW-h

So the NiMH have about 150% the capacity of the Li-Ion.

okay...so I guess it means the Lithium battery will die quicker than the Ni-MH right? but the advantages of Lithium is over Ni-MH is better from what I read from other thread.

It is true that Ni-MH battery will get depleted if we don't use it in 2-4 months? and Lithium have no affect at all?

Do they have rechargeable lithium for 2 AA?? is there such a THING?? THats what I want to know really!

No, please read above.

Lithium Ion Batteries produce 3 to 4 Volts per cell so they can NOT be made into a AA sized battery.

So is that means the 3 to 4 volts are too much or something? cuz the AA sized battery are like 1.5 V right? well couldn't they reduce it or something? lol i dont know, just asking only

okay...so I guess it means the Lithium battery will die quicker than the Ni-MH right? but the advantages of Lithium is over Ni-MH is better from what I read from other thread.

It is true that Ni-MH battery will get depleted if we don't use it in 2-4 months? and Lithium have no affect at all?

Yes, in the example above the Ni-MH battery will last 1.5 times as long as the Lithium Ion.

All rechargable batteries self discharge over time. Yes Li-Ion self discharge slower than Ni-MH.

*** FREE BATTERIES***

I work in a 1 Hour photo lab, we take the batteries from the Disposible cameras. They are both AA & AAA Alkiline.They still have heaps of charge and I now have shoebox full. :D:huh:

Supply won't last long, standard cameras will be gone soon.

As for LiIon batteries, it could be feasible if equipment mfg would design their battery housing so as to accept a LiIon pack similar in size and shape as 2AA side by side. Feasible but big issue is the standardisation among them and batteries vendors.

This may be a dream, just consider that a nut made in Japan can fit a bolt made in Germany, China or Russia but not in the US ! :(

AA Lithiums (L91) are great for cold weather and long term storage, with 20 year shelf life.

Alkalines are great for every day backup,... cost effective.

I used Maha Powerex for about 2-3 years but they cells are worn out and no longer hold a charge, not even power up the device. So I moved them to really low drain devices like flashlites.

I currently use Eneloop AA cells...

AA Lithiums (L91) are great for cold weather and long term storage, with 20 year shelf life.

Alkalines are great for every day backup,... cost effective.

I used Maha Powerex for about 2-3 years but they cells are worn out and no longer hold a charge, not even power up the device. So I moved them to really low drain devices like flashlites.

I currently use Eneloop AA cells...

Topic is 3 years old...

I have had great success using rechargeable nimh. I like eneloops and sanyo 2700's the best. I started out with just the lacrosse charger but now I have the maha as well. I can use my camera, gps, and headlamps as long as I want, as much as I want! I carry spares with me. When I travel I take one of my chargers.

Eneloops are 2000 mAh and Maha or Sanyo are 2700 mAh.

You only begin to see advantages of Eneloops if you store your cells for 90 days. They make sense in rarely used devices. You get low self-discharge. Otherwise, use higher capacity NIMH cells. I think I want to get some Sanyo cells this time, they are supposedly just as good as Maha.

One thing I heard is that low-capacity cells such as Eneloops at 2,000 mAh get a higher number of recharge cycles than high-capacity cells. Not sure if it's true, but my 1 year old Eneloops work just fine and hold full charge. Whereas my 2.5 year old Maha Powerex cells are completely dead and won't power up anything but the dimmest LED lights. They certainly don't power up Garmin 60CSx which doesn't have a lot of drain to begin with. And if it does power it up somehow, it soon cuts off.

In a mission critical situation, I would take L91s for sure... i.e. Lithiums. Pretty much everything else doesn't work in really cold weather, except for 3.7V Li-Ion cells which won't work in this device anyway.

Edited by dictum9

Earlier in this thread I spoke well of the Powerex 2700mAh batteries I bought when I bought my Powerex charger.

I would now like to contradict myself. They are terrible batteries. For the first couple of months they were really good. But after they had been used and recharged a few times they have become completely unreliable. One time they'll charge to a reasonable level (say, 2300mAh or so) on the regular charge setting. The next time they won't take any worthwhile charge (say, 800mAh).

After a couple more months some of them have developed some consistency in that you can't ever charge them using the normal charge cycle. You need to do a Refresh/Analyze to get any decent charge in them. Some of them just continue the inconsistency, charging properly once or twice and then not.

Today I popped two fresh from the charger into my Legend HCx to use on the golf course. I checked the charge level before using them. One was 2400mAh and the other was 1900mAh (not great but close enough). When I got to the golf course and turned the Legend on the batteries lasted less than three holes (about 40 minutes) before they were flat.

I have some older Sanyo 2300 and 2500mAh batteries. They still take a decent charge. More importantly, they only require the normal charge cycle to recharge properly, each and every time. The 2300s are 3½ years old and the 2500s are 2½ years old. The Powerexs are less than a year old (Nov/08).

All eight of the Powerexs are going into the recycle can and I'm going out for some Eneloops. If they're as good as my old 2300 and 2500mAh Sanyos I'll be pleased.

...ken...

Today I popped two fresh from the charger into my Legend HCx to use on the golf course. I checked the charge level before using them. One was 2400mAh and the other was 1900mAh (not great but close enough). When I got to the golf course and turned the Legend on the batteries lasted less than three holes (about 40 minutes) before they were flat.

...ken...

Respectfully, one can only determine the relative capacity of batteries on the discharge cycle. No two batteries no matter

how perfectly matched will discharge at the exact same rate whether used in series or parallel! If one has less internal

resistance than the other one in the pair (or more), then it will take the "lions share" of the work needed, and the other one

will coast. Upon going through the next charge cycle the 'worker bee' will take more juice, while the 'slacker' will take less.

Using multiple charge/discharge cycles to determine which batteries have similar characteristics, and pairing them up, will

result in the work being more evenly distributed amongst all your batteries, thereby insuring longer happier lives for all.

More predictable battery warnings from your device of choice(if equipped to give these) may also be a side benefit.

As always : . . . YMMV

Norm

Edited by RRLover

FWIW, I have a voltmeter but have no way to check the voltage under load, which is the only meaningful way. I have some CR123A cells and they are dead but still measure pretty high without any load.

In many devices I use, I switched from NiMH chemistry to Li-Ion 18650 cell, the same stuff in laptop battery cells. I think they are more flexible than NiMH. Of course, when you standardize on AA, they are not an option.

Garmin 60CSx will run happily on any AA chemistry:

Alkaline, Lithium, NiMH, Carbon Zinc even... Obviously the runtime would differ greatly.

I haven't seen any issues at all with AA Eneloops.

Respectfully, one can only determine the relative capacity of batteries on the discharge cycle. No two batteries no matter how perfectly matched will discharge at the exact same rate whether used in series or parallel!

Hi Norm,

Yes, I understand that.

Using multiple charge/discharge cycles to determine which batteries have similar characteristics, and pairing them up, will result in the work being more evenly distributed amongst all your batteries, thereby insuring longer happier lives for all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand that, too. But I won't do it. Too much bother. I have never ever had to do that with my Sanyos and they have never exhibited this sort of behaviour.

Of course there has never been such a disimilarity in the charging on my Sanyos. Still isn't, even after years, not months, of use without paying the slightest attention to matching their charge levels ... not least because I had no way to do it until I bought the Powerex charger. I was just using the cheap charger that came with the first eight-pack of Sanyos at Costco.

So, the Powerex batteries are toast and I'll just stick with Sanyos in the future.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

got some duracell rechargable batteries this week 2650ma i beleive, and the ones with the charger are 1700 ma/h will see how they fair soon, but they only got to get 4 charges out of it and ive broken even. If it means ive got to charge them each day after going out i will still save in the long run.

It seems that people really hate to change batteries. Unless you are changing every few hours, I don't get all of the fuss over batteries.

For me it's the expense. I can go throught AA's like you wouldn't believe, even being resourceful. With rechargables I can use my stuff like it's supposed to be used. I actually have 2 chargers, The lacrosse 900 and the maha. I use them in my gps, camera, and headlamps. Plus my computer mouse. Not all brands work the same and some are better than others. The first no-name brand I got with crappy 2 channel charger didn't work well at all.

The eneloops are especially good for when I forget to top my other batteries off. I carry 8 spares with me when I go out. I frequently lend them to people too.

got some duracell rechargable batteries this week 2650ma i beleive, and the ones with the charger are 1700 ma/h will see how they fair soon, but they only got to get 4 charges out of it and ive broken even. If it means ive got to charge them each day after going out i will still save in the long run.

You should be able to get a lot more than 4 charges out of a rechargable battery! The cheaper chargers are worse for batteries than a good one, they don't have a separte channel for each battery. I really like the lacrosse cause I can pop a battery in and see what the voltage is. The maha uses some kind of "pulsing" method of charging which is supposed to be better in some way.

I actually haven't worn out any of my rechargables yet and I've had some for years. I use my headlamps all the time so the batteries get a lot of use, I have quite a few though.

I didn't want to start a new thread for batteries so I will use this one.

I just tried something that I am sure will be controversial. I put a pair of dead Duracell (regular, not rechargable) batteries in my cheap charger (Ultralast 4XAA/AAA charger for rechargable batteries) and left them in there for a couple of hours. Then I put them in my Colorado and they are working fine again. Sure, they aren't going to have a full charge after a couple of hours of charging but I already have an hour on the Colorado and the battery bar only dropped one bar. I am going to test the next time with an 8 hour charge (typical charging time for this charger)

Repeat this at your own risk. There could be battery leakage, etc though I haven't seen any with my small test.

At any rate, this could be a way to spice up dead batteries for use before tossing them in a landfill. The more use you can get before trashing something, the better it is for the environment, right?