Where can an "abandoned" cache be reported?

scheibwife

A) If a cache is in bad shape or missing altogether, the logs online show multiple cachers reporting this, and there is no response from the owner... is there a "cache cemetery" one could report it to?

We have one in our area that has multiple No-Finds (and it was in an obvious place, so is no doubt gone via the annual river clean-up). Owners were a boy scout project group. Nobody seems to be in charge of it, but it still is on the online listings with new frustrated no-finds all the time. Who can we email BESIDES the owner about pulling the listing?

:blink: If a cache is in bad shape and apparently abandoned, again, is there a mechanism for having somebody review the potential for pulling the listing (and maybe having somebody pull the cache?)

Again, there are two in our area that fit this bill - one of which some cacher did some research on and found that the owner had not even logged on in over 3 years.

C) If a cache fits category B above but is in a really cool spot, is there a mechanism for putting an abandoned cache up for adoption through a/the reviewer(s) if somebody wants it?

Again, there is a local cache that fits in that slot.

Sideways question - related to another posting by a cacher who is moving - how DOES somebody adopt a cache and get it transferred into their account if it is mutually agreed upon by all concerned parties?

Scheibwife

A cache with a geocaching stash note has been found near here. It was hidden three years ago but the logbook list the coords at 36.xxx and it was found at 26.xxx - a good distance off so I assume that after a few DNF's that the owner assumed it was MIA and pulled it. There is not a cache name nor an owners name in the logbook. Is there a way to identify this abandoned cache? Curiousity is my only reason.

Plug the 36.xxx coords in advance search to find the nearest published cache to it. Go to that webpage and click on the geocaching maps link. From there click to view all archived caches in the area and you may locate the webpage for the cache.

I'm sure there may be an easier way (maybe send 36.xxx coords to admin), but that's how I would start.

A cache with a geocaching stash note has been found near here. It was hidden three years ago but the logbook list the coords at 36.xxx and it was found at 26.xxx - a good distance off so I assume that after a few DNF's that the owner assumed it was MIA and pulled it. There is not a cache name nor an owners name in the logbook. Is there a way to identify this abandoned cache? Curiousity is my only reason.

(Being from the same territory as TD)

I wonder if it is one of Eddie Bow Wow's? I know they placed at least one that never showed up in local searches. That cache was on a very dim trail or no trail at all and was by no means a 1.5/1.5. Three years ago there weren't too many outsiders placing caches around Clearlake.

Plug the 36.xxx coords in advance search to find the nearest published cache to it. Go to that webpage and click on the geocaching maps link. From there click to view all archived caches in the area and you may locate the webpage for the cache.

I'm sure there may be an easier way (maybe send 36.xxx coords to admin), but that's how I would start.

Thanks you Chuy!. I never paid any attention that one could search archived caches from the geocaching map. I think I found the missing cache name and owner.

(Being from the same territory as TD)

I wonder if it is one of Eddie Bow Wow's? I know they placed at least one that never showed up in local searches. That cache was on a very dim trail or no trail at all and was by no means a 1.5/1.5. Three years ago there weren't too many outsiders placing caches around Clearlake.

Actually my figures were off but the nature of the coords is the same. The cache in question is in the logs at the Silverado Mine cache. I think the old cache was the Mt. St. Helena cache.