Sharing tracks and routes on a 60CSx

Stingstar

I have a question about my Garmin GPSmap60CSx and I was hoping to tap into this forums knowledge :D .

I do a lot of ATVing and would like to be able to share my tracks and or routes (both preferably) with others ATVer’s. Based on this I guess my questions are:

1. I know how and can create “paper” maps using my Garmin Topo Canada software. However how can I send these maps via e-mail or share them in an ATVing forum? :blink:

2. Is there a way to send the track information to someone so that they can then load it into there GPS and take the same path? :o

Thank you in advance for your help,

Stingstar :)

How about sharing tracks with a non-GPS user? Any recommended ways?

One approach I've used is to load the track into Google Earth via a GPX file, then after setting the image up the way I want saving it as a jpg file. That way anyone who has the capability of viewing digital images can see it (and you can print it out for anyone else :blink: )

MapSource is free to Garmin owners, and the upgrades are free. It is the program that Garmin uses to load maps (which generally aren't free) onto a GPSr.

A totally free application that will read .gpx files is USAPhotomaps. It will download topo maps, black and white aerial photos, and for areas they are available, detailed color aerial photos, and show your routes or tracks. It is pretty slick for anyone with a reasonably fast Internet connection.

How about sharing tracks with a non-GPS user? Any recommended ways?

One approach I've used is to load the track into Google Earth via a GPX file, then after setting the image up the way I want saving it as a jpg file. That way anyone who has the capability of viewing digital images can see it (and you can print it out for anyone else :( )

how do I save those track in mapsource into GPX file?

Thanks for the reply: "Make sure you are current with the MapSource version 6.11.3.", although I'm not clear what that has to do with the free software reading a .gpx file? I am asking if someone with the free software (not Mapsource) can read a gpx file created in other software.

Since you have a 60CSx, one option you have is to log tracks to the data card; the files created on the data card are in gpx format. Then you can copy the files over to your computer either by plugging the card into a reader or hooking the 60CSx to the computer and putting it in the USB Mass Storage mode. From there you can work with the gpx file in any of the many programs that recognize the gpx format.

But, addressing your specific question, I don't know how much you can do with the "Trips and Waypoints Manager" alone; I've had Mapsource from day one and use that instead. If you buy any of the Garmin map products Mapsource comes with it as a freebie.