For those of you that have MapSource TOPO US

raghornhc

I see the Maps are 1:100K scale - is it worth the money to invest in the software? I will primarily be using my 60CSX for hiking, hunting, fishing - maybe some road trips. Logically it seems to make sense, but I do not see Topo US discussed much on here?

Also, the basemap, will my GPSr switch between TOPO and the basemap depending on which areas I load, which areas have more detail, etc.

Thanks,

J.

I see the Maps are 1:100K scale - is it worth the money to invest in the software? I will primarily be using my 60CSX for hiking, hunting, fishing - maybe some road trips. Logically it seems to make sense, but I do not see Topo US discussed much on here?

Also, the basemap, will my GPSr switch between TOPO and the basemap depending on which areas I load, which areas have more detail, etc.

Thanks,

J.

Depends on how much you are investing. I probably would not pay MSRP for it (around $100), but I would probably give $40 or $50. I think I got mine for around $40 on ebay. Since it is not locked software, you do not have to worry about buying software that has had the unlock codes used. For what you are going to do with it, it would probably be fairly useful for you.

The GPS will display maps based on a heirarchy--Roads (such as City Navigator), Topo, then the basemap, depending on which one the position arrow or cursor is on. You can also tell it to hide or show certain map types depending on what you want to see. Just go: menu->Setup map->info tab->menu->show or hide [map type].

Thanks,

J.

I find it well worth having the TOPOs. Even at 1:100K they have a surprising amount of detail. You can explicitly control the map which dominates using the map setup functions. Generally at a relatively fine zoom level, I find the TOPOs take precedence if they exist. I find this very useful when looking for geocaches on trails etc.

Now if you want to gild the lily, get the serial interface, connect it to either a Laptop or a PDA, and load one of the 1:25K Topo sets (Delorme TOPO perhaps?), and get the best of both worlds.

I'm with the first tcouple people there. I forgot to change my map to a new area when I went on vacation and sat there for quite some time going "I should see more roads with this" and finally "hold it...where are my topo lines". Especially for a hiker, just having good topo lines on you map makes the software worth it.

As for the street names...WV doesn't label many of the streets that the map software actually does. I deon't know where they live or what their problem with it is...but if you zoom in far enough, here at least, the software labels more roads than the county does, so really I've seen no problem there. You do have to zoom in sometimes though.

I use mine all of the time for fishing. Once I have navigated to the trail head I switch from CN to topo so that I can view streams and trails. There have been times during navigation that I have had to switch back and forth between maps.

Another good one is the National Geographic topo. You cant download these maps to your GPSr but you can transfer tracks/wayoints/routes back and forth from computer to unit. These maps are very detailed and so far I have been happy with them.