Virtual TB?

swizzle

I was thinking about turning a TB into a virtual TB. One who's mission is to visit virtuals, earthcaches, and other grandfathered cache types. Is this possible or wrong in some way. More then anything I wanted to get a buttload of awesome pics from my TB's journey. Any thought's? Swizzle

I assume you mean it would be a REAL travel bug but you wanted it to be pictured with the virtual location and logged into and out of the virtual... I see nothing wrong with this as long as you have a REAL bug going out there.

I don't know what happened to my reply from this morning, it's probably still sitting waiting to be sent, back at home, so I'll just do it again.

A virtual TB, as you've been told would get locked. But a real physical TB that visits virtuals is allowable. The problem with that, which I see right away, is how do you drop it off, so it can be picked up by another cacher? Two ways. Hand it off, or it goes to an event. Read the many angst ridden threads on what happens at the big TB table at events. Check out archived events from all over, and see how many travel bugs are still logged in, but no where to be found. You ought to add to your page that after it visits a virtual cache or two or three, that it should be left in a traditional cache so someone else can get it. It will live much longer.

Make sure when you create this travel bug that it is perfectly clear to geocaching.com that the bug is REAL. IF for any reason they believe cachers are logging your bug virtually, it will be Locked!

A guy I met online wasn't able to find a White Jeep Travel Bug, so he bought himself a REAL white Jeep, attached a travel bug dog tag and created his own White Jeep Travel Bug. He encouraged cachers to log this bug once they became aware of it. Geocaching.com pottied their collective diapers and the mess caused by this is not one you want the details of!

My advice: Do not call this a Virtual Travel Bug!

Make sure when you create this travel bug that it is perfectly clear to geocaching.com that the bug is REAL. IF for any reason they believe cachers are logging your bug virtually, it will be Locked!

A guy I met online wasn't able to find a White Jeep Travel Bug, so he bought himself a REAL white Jeep, attached a travel bug dog tag and created his own White Jeep Travel Bug. He encouraged cachers to log this bug once they became aware of it. Geocaching.com pottied their collective diapers and the mess caused by this is not one you want the details of!

:laughing: Was the person giving out the tracking number to people that hadn't seen their jeep or something??

My advice: Do not call this a Virtual Travel Bug!

Passing out the tracking number so people can log the bug, without ever have seen it, is considered abuse of the system, it is not allowed. GC.com did not potty their diapers. I can assure you, everyone is potty trained. This bug has already been named. Any bugs that are being logged virtually will be locked to prevent abuse of the system. What part of TRAVEL bug did you not understand? It's not Cybertravel bug. They are meant to travel cache to cacher to cache to cacher to cacher....... And yes, it is their website. They have that option.

The guy you met online was certainly able to release his own toy jeep as a travel bug. He was not welcome to abuse the system by offering it up for virtual logging.

I would hope that by the pic on the bug page that you would be able to tell that this TB is real. As far as giving people the TB #'s?!? Why?!? To me it makes no sense to boost someone elses number's and risk the chance of being banned or having a TB shot down. I was just wondering if you looked at the bug page. I named the bug "Baby Bugga Boo" not Virtual bug that needs to be shot. If you see a problem with the way I listed the bug then lets discuss it and if I agree then I'll change it. Swizzle

I would hope that by the pic on the bug page that you would be able to tell that this TB is real. As far as giving people the TB #'s?!? Why?!? To me it makes no sense to boost someone elses number's and risk the chance of being banned or having a TB shot down. I was just wondering if you looked at the bug page. I named the bug "Baby Bugga Boo" not Virtual bug that needs to be shot. If you see a problem with the way I listed the bug then lets discuss it and if I agree then I'll change it. Swizzle

Very nice! You might have to field a few questions from cachers when they try to log it through a Webcam cache and find out it's not possible.

I would hope that by the pic on the bug page that you would be able to tell that this TB is real. As far as giving people the TB #'s?!? Why?!? To me it makes no sense to boost someone elses number's and risk the chance of being banned or having a TB shot down. (exactly!!!) I was just wondering if you looked at the bug page. I named the bug "Baby Bugga Boo" not Virtual bug that needs to be shot. If you see a problem with the way I listed the bug then lets discuss it and if I agree then I'll change it. Swizzle

I have absolutely no problem with your travel bug.

I do have a problem with people saying that we at Groundspeak have messed our collective diapers and are not potty trained. Your bug is fine. It's a real bug. LifeOnEdge was jumping in to give you advice without looking at your bug page first, obviously. Perhaps forgetting the forum guideline about respect, which should be extended to all people. I like your ghost.

I do see a valid point on the webcam. I'm going to take out the webcam cache as a place to visit. Besides how would they log it? Take a pic of the bug with the persons house and webcam in the background? Someone could get mistaken for a peeping tom. LOL Swizzle

I can understand not wanting to give too many instructions, but people could log a webcam cache while holding the bug (but they can't log it into the cache and you usually can't see the person in the photo much less a bug).

Now that I think about it, you're right. Skip it.