Geocache in Reliance/Hiwassee

DangerJudy

Anyone here from the East Tennessee cachers groups? I would like to place a cache on the Hiwassee River on one of the islands in the kayakable/float tube-able section. It would have goodies for kids and be only accessible by boat. I would secure it so it would not float away in a flood. I want to know if this is allowable in the rules.

Give us coordinates, and can tell you for sure, Hiwassee River is 40 miles long in Tennessee could you narrow it down a little.

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

I don't have the exact coords for the island - yet. :( But it would be around 35.1928°N, 84.4511°W (NAD27) on topozone.com.

After converting the coordinates to N35 11.568 W84 27.066 the area is fine to place a cache, up and down the river in both direction for 3’4 of a mile that should be four islands

Remember you will need a local cacher to help do maintenance

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

I'm thinking maintenance shouldn't be too much - the cache should only be accessible by boat. But if you hae some suggestions of who might be willing to help with maintenance I'm all ears. ;-)

Out of those clubs that MAX listed....GEOSET (Geocachers of Southeast Tennessee) and GETGC (Greater East Tennessee Geocaching Club) would have members in the hiwassee area! I have gone down the hiwassee twice and I would love to see a cache out there. It is a little out of my maintain area to place one.....so a new one to find would be amazing.

Edited by Super_Nate