Duck tape?

Iwuzere

I'm looking for camo duck tape, can't find any locally, wondering if anyone could recommend any mail-order suppliers.. at reasonable costs (especially postage)?

I'm looking to cover a Addis click-n-seal box... or would paint be more durable in the long term? Would I need a special paint primer for the plastic surface?

Painting is too fiddly and messy.. hence I'd rather tape it up.

All voices of experience gladly listened to!

I bought some camo tape from Springfields in Burton on Trent (which is local to me). I believe they do mail order as well. Not sure how their prices compare but the tape seems pretty good. I used some on a plastic container I recently hid and haven't heard of any problems with it so far.

Painting can be a bit tricky especially with plastic containers. You'll need to "rough up" the surface and use suitable primers first and then probably lacquer after.

Lynn currently supplies some Groundspeak and other items from home and does have a supply of cammo tape. A roll of this costs £4-00 + shipping which is £5 total.

Just a wee aside in case you're interested...

I always thought it was called 'Duck Tape' as well. While in the states though, I discovered that it is actually called Duct Tape and is used (funnily enough :D for ducting work. I suppose alnog the way some lazy diction has resulted in the corruption.

Martin & Lynn

I paint my caches. I first lightly play a blow torch over the plastic to burn off any surface grease and mould releasing agents and then spray them with matt black spray (from B&Q). The first caches I painted I didn't blow torch first and the paint does chip off quite readily (but they are still better camoed than unpainted) but ones that have been given the blow torch treatment are proving much more robust. It's quick and easy, and I spray them in the garden on some paper (on a non-windy day) so it's not messy either.

I paint my caches. I first lightly play a blow torch over the plastic to burn off any surface grease and mould releasing agents and then spray them with matt black spray (from B&Q). The first caches I painted I didn't blow torch first and the paint does chip off quite readily (but they are still better camoed than unpainted) but ones that have been given the blow torch treatment are proving much more robust. It's quick and easy, and I spray them in the garden on some paper (on a non-windy day) so it's not messy either.

Thanks for that tip Alibags. I spent ages sanding boxes when we set out the Zodiac series but time proved that the additional 'key' didn't really help. Now... to find a blow-torch :D

Martin

I always thought it was called 'Duck Tape' as well. While in the states though, I discovered that it is actually called Duct Tape and is used (funnily enough :D for ducting work. I suppose alnog the way some lazy diction has resulted in the corruption.

Martin & Lynn

As an interesting(ish) aside I came across this explanation:

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

so both are right :D

Is it Duct or Duck? We don’t want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless.

After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape*.” Therefore, either name is appropriate.

And then it's also called gaffer tape, which matches the army's use!

Martin & Lynn

It is actually both. There is duct tape but there is also abrand called DUCK tape. quack quack..

I bet your Creme Brulee's are to die for!!! :laughing:

Her's might not be, mine definately are :rolleyes:

Her's might not be, mine definately are :mellow:

Thats the food sorted on the 7th October then. :rolleyes:

so the black patches in your lawn arn't flowerbeds minus the flowers? :(

I bet your Creme Brulee's are to die for!!! :(

They are indeed, and it's actually my girlie kitchen creme bruleé torch that I use on my tupperware!

(I would have grey patches on my lawn if they were flowerbeds, as I live on top of a solid lump of chalk!!)

Edited by Alibags

Martin & Lynn

It is actually both. There is duct tape but there is also abrand called DUCK tape. quack quack..

If that was Duck Tape that you sold me in Harrogate, how come I keepbanging my head? :(

Thanks for all the replies... I don't know whether to seek out the tape or actually have a go at painting, now :blink:

I'd probably put the box in the dishwasher with the evening's load, that would de-grease it before painting... squeaky clean.

thanks

I bought camo tape off a "well known internet auction site", from a guy in N Wales who has a fishing tackle shop. So I guess a local shop with fishing tackle & accessories would probably have some, and with no postage to pay.

Bulk buying is fine if enough people want to split the cost.

I've just checked out the guy I bought from on eBay, he's still selling, different "designs", how does £7.99 + £2.50 p&p sound for "buy it now"? Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-REALTREE-HARDWOO...1QQcmdZViewItem

His auction listings start at 99p.

Jeez. I can ship it from the States cheaper than that.

email Team Maddie UK for a way, way cheaper price.

Bulk buying is fine if enough people want to split the cost.

I've just checked out the guy I bought from on eBay, he's still selling, different "designs", how does £7.99 + £2.50 p&p sound for "buy it now"? Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-REALTREE-HARDWOO...1QQcmdZViewItem

His auction listings start at 99p.

Jeez. I can ship it from the States cheaper than that.

email Team Maddie UK for a way, way cheaper price.

I totally agree with SlytherinAlex.Go the Team Maddie UK route.If you bid on Ebay,you'll probably be bidding against each other,thus bumping up the price.