Idea for item to leave--SD card with a family picture

KiwiHopeful

Is this a good idea or not?

I'd like to leave a SD card in the next cache I find. On the card would be a little instruction file and a picture. The instructions basically say put on a picture and pass the card on.

Good idea, bad idea, or 'try it and see'?

Neat idea. You'll want a travel bug on it, I would think, which would mean you'll need a special container for it. Also keep in mind that not all cameras take SD. Mine takes xD. The guy that goes caching with me has a Sony which takes MS (memory sticks)

You can pick up 32 and 64 MB SD card real cheap... I say go for it.

I thought about the TB, but I want to keep the whole thing really, really small. Maybe for my next one :D

As for compatibility, I was thinking more along the lines of people taking it home and using a card reader. I know everyone won't be able to play. :D

Truth is, I have a handful of cards that I no longer use since they're really just too small for me to bother putting them in my camera or pda and I hate to see them just sitting on my desk.

I thought about the TB, but I want to keep the whole thing really, really small. Maybe for my next one :D

As for compatibility, I was thinking more along the lines of people taking it home and using a card reader. I know everyone won't be able to play. :D

Truth is, I have a handful of cards that I no longer use since they're really just too small for me to bother putting them in my camera or pda and I hate to see them just sitting on my desk.

Good thinking. My idea with the travel bug was so you could track it. Also, with a TB attached, people might be less inclined to take it as a prize or trade item.

I've heard of this type of thing before. A lot of people say they wouldn't do it out of fear of viruses. Like Civisi, my camera uses xD and my wife's uses MS so the only way to put a picture on it would be to take it home and transfer one to it on the computer, thus the risk of spreading viruses. But if you don't mind those of us who are paranoid not participating go for it. If it wasn't for the virus thing it would be really cool.

I've heard of this type of thing before. A lot of people say they wouldn't do it out of fear of viruses. Like Civisi, my camera uses xD and my wife's uses MS so the only way to put a picture on it would be to take it home and transfer one to it on the computer, thus the risk of spreading viruses. But if you don't mind those of us who are paranoid not participating go for it. If it wasn't for the virus thing it would be really cool.

That's a really good point, too.

I'll try it out and keep you all updated on how it goes.

I just picked up a TB this weekend with the same idea. This is a TINY little USB thumb drive that holds 512MB. The idea is you add some pics and write your own log entry about yourself. Every so often someone will email the contents to the owner.

The USB key on this one is really, really small. It's about the size of your thumb nail. USB works on about anything so now worries with a specific card format like SD.

I just picked up a TB this weekend with the same idea. This is a TINY little USB thumb drive that holds 512MB. The idea is you add some pics and write your own log entry about yourself. Every so often someone will email the contents to the owner.

The USB key on this one is really, really small. It's about the size of your thumb nail. USB works on about anything so now worries with a specific card format like SD.

I think the USB Thumb Drive is a super idea. Great creativity.